Home Sports Talk
Options

The Tampa Bay Rays Have the Best Record in Baseball Thread

Kudos to them. They are for real!!!!

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will give them their due image

BUT! It is a long season.....
  • Options

<< <i>I will give them their due image

BUT! It is a long season..... >>

I'll give them their due too, and that is one heck of a nice stadium they're building down there too for the Rays.
    I hope they do well, and hopefully they'll get more support then the Marlins do.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    This thread won't be bumped again in about 2 weeks
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Way to jinx us a-hole image

In all honesty, if we can finish the season ahead of the Yankees, or at least above .500 this forum will have nothing but "I told you so's" from me. Be prepared image
  • Options

<< <i>Way to jinx us a-hole image

In all honesty, if we can finish the season ahead of the Yankees, or at least above .500 this forum will have nothing but "I told you so's" from me. Be prepared image >>

I think you better start very early preparing your "The Rays finished above the Yankees" thing- because I really think its a done deal that it will happen!
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Happy for the team but the fans suck. Less than 12,500 show up on a night when two division leaders play and the opponents manager played for Tampa at one point in time. Does any state have worse MLB fans than Florida? If I owned the Rays I'd be looking for some other city to play in.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    As a bb fan I'm happy to see their success. They might the be first time in history to have the best record in Baseball and get the #1 pick in the draft. I heard that on the radio yesterday. Good luck to the Rays, although Sept is a longggggg ways away.image Either way, they should be looking good for the future.
  • Options

<< <i>Happy for the team but the fans suck. Less than 12,500 show up on a night when two division leaders play and the opponents manager played for Tampa at one point in time. Does any state have worse MLB fans than Florida? If I owned the Rays I'd be looking for some other city to play in. >>

Thanks for the opinion, that's the first time I've heard that before.image

Winning doesn't solve everything, you guys on the outside have no idea how many people were burned by the old organization and the trust still isn't there.

Believe it or not, the attendance figures right now are an IMPROVEMENT. This time last year there would have been 8,000 at that game last night.

I also find it pretty funny that our attendance is getting bashed when our average is right on par with the likes of Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Oakland. I don't care if those teams aren't winners (other than Oak), they've been in those city's for decades, while the Rays have been in St. Pete for 10 seasons.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭

<< <i>

In all honesty, if we can finish the season ahead of the Yankees, or at least above .500 this forum will have nothing but "I told you so's" from me. Be prepared image >>

I think you better start very early preparing your "The Rays finished above the Yankees" thing- because I really think its a done deal that it will happen! >>

Thanks! The Perkdog lock ensures a Yankee pennant image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think you better start very early preparing your "The Rays finished above the Yankees" thing- because I really think its a done deal that it will happen! >>

Thanks! The Perkdog lock ensures a Yankee pennant image >>

Oh god! I thought everyone forgot about that!!! image
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks! The Perkdog lock ensures a Yankee pennant image >>

Oh god! I thought everyone forgot about that!!! image >>

Ultra reliable time tested methods like these are hard to come by image.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Just in case nobody knows, Gerry Hunsicker is the bestest GM ever.

He turned around the 'Stros with a penny pinching Ebenezer Scroogee-like owner.

I miss Gerry.

Bah humbug.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Happy for the team but the fans suck. Less than 12,500 show up on a night when two division leaders play and the opponents manager played for Tampa at one point in time. Does any state have worse MLB fans than Florida? If I owned the Rays I'd be looking for some other city to play in. >>

Thanks for the opinion, that's the first time I've heard that before.image

Winning doesn't solve everything, you guys on the outside have no idea how many people were burned by the old organization and the trust still isn't there.

Believe it or not, the attendance figures right now are an IMPROVEMENT. This time last year there would have been 8,000 at that game last night.

I also find it pretty funny that our attendance is getting bashed when our average is right on par with the likes of Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Oakland. I don't care if those teams aren't winners (other than Oak), they've been in those city's for decades, while the Rays have been in St. Pete for 10 seasons. >>

This wasn't a Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Oakland thread. image For pete's sake I said I was happy for them at least be pleased about that. image Anyway at least they got almost 15,000 fans to show last night. I hope all the bandwagoners show up if they continue to play this well into June, July, August and September. If so maybe they will build a major league stadium.
  • Options
    Sell out crowd in St. Pete tonight to watch Kazmir shutout the Sox!!!!!!

I'm so glad I can say I've been in this for the long haul. I'm not saying we're playoff bound, but man this has been FUN!
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    As a die-hard Sox fan (and baseball fan in general), I like having the Rays finally being relevant....I might be in the minority in saying this, but I'm tired of the Sox/Yanks rivalry, I'm glad there's some new blood at the top. The Rays seem like a fun team to watch night in and night out.

And with their starting pitching, there's no reason to think the Rays will far much below .550 this year...although if Percival is on the DL for any length of time, that may change things.

With the contracts they've signed their young stars to, the Rays should be good for a long time...and will only get better when Price arrives!
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>Sell out crowd in St. Pete tonight to watch Kazmir shutout the Sox!!!!!!

I'm so glad I can say I've been in this for the long haul. I'm not saying we're playoff bound, but man this has been FUN! >>

Not to detract from the Rays getting a good crowd, but how many people were there to see the post game concert. Now when the Rays can draw crowds on their own without the Yankees/Red Sox in town or some giveaway it will be great.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sell out crowd in St. Pete tonight to watch Kazmir shutout the Sox!!!!!!

I'm so glad I can say I've been in this for the long haul. I'm not saying we're playoff bound, but man this has been FUN! >>

Not to detract from the Rays getting a good crowd, but how many people were there to see the post game concert. Now when the Rays can draw crowds on their own without the Yankees/Red Sox in town or some giveaway it will be great. >>

Since they pulled 25,000 (or 8,000 above avg.) the night after the concert, I'd say that things are on an upswing.
  • Options
    Well the next night was a glove giveaway for the kids.
    I would just like to see the crowds show up consistently.
  • Options

<< <i>Well the next night was a glove giveaway for the kids.
    I would just like to see the crowds show up consistently. >>

You just can't give the Rays ANY credit can you? It's ok, that's what we're used to, and deservingly so......until now.

Those giveaways don't really attract anybody (at least in years past). I went to a game last year and it was a hat give away for the first 7,500 people and the game was against the Angels on a Saturday.

Attendance: Something in the 16,000s.

Even if those people were there for the free stuff, you have to like all of those people being on hand for a series win. That probably left a good taste in the casual fans mouth.

• Options
    Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Sunday April 20, 2008 Rays Vs. Chi White Sox
    Giveaway?: Akinori Iwamura wristbands for kids (actually pretty sweet item)
    Attendance: 17,212
    Starters: Jackson vs. Danks

Same team, giveaway, same day. I doubt the difference in a baseball glove vs. a wristband is worth 8,000 kids showing up....

Sunday May 11, 2008 Rays vs. LA Angels
    Giveaway?: Carlos Pena Wiffle Ball bat (what kid won't want a bat for free?)
    Attendance: 13,010
    Starters: Sonnanstine vs. Ervin Santana

Sunday May 25, 2008 Rays Vs. Orioles
    Giveaway: Rays foam logo thing and kids run the bases
    Attendance: 17,762
    Starters: Shields vs. Daniel Cabrera

Sunday June 1, 2008 Rays Vs. Chi Sox
    Giveaway: Baseball glove
    Attendance: 24,720
    Starters: Sonnanstine vs. Buehrle

Keep telling me that the giveaway was the whole reason 7,000 extra people showed up...
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you think they could be the next 1969 Miracle Mets? In both cases, the teams were the laughing stock of baseball and both managed either last or next to last place in the league/division before their magical runs. I guess for the Rays all it took was a new name/image, huh?

Now if only their local fans could start trying a lot harder in expressing their gratitude with higher attendance.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>I will give them their due image

BUT! It is a long season..... >>

perkdog, your exceptional sportmanship is commendable, but are your (and my wife's) defending champs just gonna sit there and take it? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

How about Louisville? image
    WISHLIST
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well the next night was a glove giveaway for the kids.
    I would just like to see the crowds show up consistently. >>

You just can't give the Rays ANY credit can you? It's ok, that's what we're used to, and deservingly so......until now.

Those giveaways don't really attract anybody (at least in years past). I went to a game last year and it was a hat give away for the first 7,500 people and the game was against the Angels on a Saturday.

Attendance: Something in the 16,000s.

Even if those people were there for the free stuff, you have to like all of those people being on hand for a series win. That probably left a good taste in the casual fans mouth. >>

You missed my point. The Rays have a good young team and they should be getting better crowds. They are 28/30 in major league attendance (averaging 18K). That's putrid for a team that has the best record in the American League. I've been to many, many Rays games in the last 11 years. A lot more when I live 5 minutes away. I wonder how long will it be before the bandwagon starts to fill up?
    I hope the Rays continue to flourish and I will root for them except against Boston. Some things will never change.

Bob....