Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1861 $1 GOLD.......Rotated Die.....? is this common

I flipped this N to S..........alot of rotation...also, any help on the grade would be appreciated.
It has alot of clashing, there are letters on the reverse from the word "Liberty" that were struck at least twice...

image
image

image
image

Comments

  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure it's genuine? I don't have too much experience with this time period of $1 gold but it looks potentially bogus.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,792 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Are you sure it's genuine? I don't have too much experience with this time period of $1 gold but it looks potentially bogus. >>



    While it's impossible to authenticate a high quality counterfeit from a pic, I don't see anything that would lead me to believe this coin is a fake.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There one one just up for auction at either TT or HA. 180 degree rotated die.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797 ✭

    I believe it is genuine, I bought several others from this lady today also..............

    image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I believe it is genuine, I bought several others from this lady today also..............

    image >>



    Can you get a better shot at that Classic Head Half Eagle for me. image

    Die rotation and clashing is common on the $1 gold coins.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797 ✭
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭


    << <i>imageimage >>



    Thanks, that made my day. Still some meat left on that one. image

    McCloskey 6E Variety. Looks to be an earlier strike as there is no die crack on the obverse yet. image
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797 ✭
    There one one just up for auction at either TT or HA. 180 degree rotated die.

    I found one that sold in 2006 on Heritage for 400.00....(180 Degree)
  • Options
    RotatedRainbowsRotatedRainbows Posts: 2,085 ✭✭
    In terms of rotated die coins they are fairly common and they are by far the most common Gold coin known to exist with rotated dies, I have seen them sell with no premium over regular book value. They come with two different rotations 165° and 180° with 165° being the most common of the two. From your pictures I would say yours is the 165° version.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797 ✭
    n terms of rotated die coins they are fairly common and they are by far the most common Gold coin known to exist with rotated dies, I have seen them sell with no premium over regular book value. They come with two different rotations 165° and 180° with 165° being the most common of the two. From your pictures I would say yours is the 165° version.

    thank you....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file