Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade and value opinion needed for 1875-CC 20c

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just received this coin.

Looks to me to be a very good au55, if not a little higher.

I know the pics make the coin to look 'overdipped' and washed out, but the coin has a nice luster, eventhough it most likely has been dipped once or twice. **that's surface dirt on the 2x2 of the coin by Liberty's leg.

There is however very light hairlines that would make this coin a sure BB for PCGS. The hairlines are very light and only in one area (one quadrant) of each side of the coin.

Do you think this coin is worth $1000.00?

image

image
"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Above average strike for a 75-CC...the pics do make it look overdipped though...hope it's dirtier in person.

    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    I would not pay $1,000 for it when I could find one in near the same condition, with loads more originality, for about the same money.
    image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Dipped out. for the money. It is dead looking.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭
    Personally, for about this money I'd prefer a nice, original strong XF.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin has a nice, strong strike. It has the details of an AU, but you are correct that the surfaces do not appear original based on the photo. I would, however, have to defer a "positive" answer until I saw the piece in hand.

    Regarding PCGS sending it back in a BB...I have seem MUCH worse examples in slabs from PCGS and NGC. You might be surprised if you submit it.

    Regarding the value...I am going to go against the rest of the gang here and say that you could get close to $1000 for it...perhaps closer to $950...with the caveat that it gets slabbed by PCGS, NGC or ANACS (not "details" graded). Based on the image alone (poor quality), you would be hard pressed to get over $850.

    The prices of the "CC" double dimes has just soared in the past year and truly original pieces in grades above fine are quite tough to find. It's funny since they are actually the second most common business strike behind the 75-S. The 75-P and 76-P are much rarer with about 1/3 to 1/12 the mintage, respectively. I know...but the "P" coins don't have the mystical"CC" mintmark.

    Lane

    Edited for spelling...
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I would call it a 53, perhaps a 55. I like my coins dirtier, so I cannot give it a sticker at this time. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    recent update.....

    I spoke to a Canadian dealer who purchased this coin from my source (after I returned it back to my source).

    I can't tell you if this dealer was telling a fib or not, but he told me he 'toned it down' a little bit, sent it to PCGS and it was graded an au55 (or au58 as I can't remember exactly). He then told me he got $1700 for it.

    I don't think I mentioned in my earlier posts that in the pictures the coin looked overdipped, but actually, the coin was 'polished'. It was extremely shiney and if you ever got lost in the woods, you could use it to signal a plane flying overhead.

    Anyways, I believe that he 'toned' it a little. What I find hard to believe is the fact that PCGS graded it.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

    "“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

    "I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    au58, cleaned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file