Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

HUGE Auto Collection--Need some opinions

I purchased a large collection of autographed items from a walk-in today. Most of the autographed pieces have mildew damage, but the autographs are still solid. I have a few scans of some of the better pieces below. How can I go about figuring out which autos are good without signing my life away to PSA/DNA, and how can I sell these pieces even though they are damaged? Any opinions are welcome.

Collecting Tony Conigliaro

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Might the Munson be an autopen?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    The Campanella can NOT be good, since he didn't go into the HOF until after his accident, and he never had an autograph that clean after his accident.

Stengel looks good....
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Might the Munson be an autopen? >>

Yes, Munson is a pre-print/autopen type signature (been discussed on this borad previously); The Stengel is nice!

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    More:
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Mays & Ryan are good
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    More (too bad Grove is worn so much):
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Ouch. The damage on those really will affect value. However you have a lot of bad ones in there.

The Munson is a pre-print on the photo. In that condition you'd be lucky to sell it as is.

The Campanella is a common secretarial. Don't know if it was his wife or someone answering mail, but that is what you would get back if you wrote to him. Nothing done with any intent to defraud.

I think the Dimaggio might be signed by his sister, I'll have to check my exemplar. I get confused on his as it was always assumed this style was no good, but they keep passing PSA and JSA.

The second Ryan is signed by a clubhouse attendant. The first one looks OK.

The Stengel and Lindstrom were often sent as "bonuses" when you wrote to either of those guys. The Stengel can sell for upwards of ~$100 he personalized most of them with name and some kind of baseball related saying. Lindstrom is not very popular or difficult to get.

The McCarthy postcard of Mays I think is good, but a buddy of mine had a 3x5 exactly like that nixed by JSA.

The Aaron looks just like one I had nixed by JSA.

It would appear these were all TTM requests. Just goes to show you what a crapshoot it can be. Everything else looks OK, though I not a football expert on the Graham and Hirsch.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    How much do you want for the Satchell Paige?

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Otto Graham
    Casey Stengel
    Willie Mays
    Nolan Ryan (first sig)
    Crazylegs Hirsch
    Hank Aaron
    Yogi Berra

all look good to me and I would buy any of them at first glance. I don't know enough about the rest and would not buy Munson or Campanella
  • Options
    Day two of this adventure:

If anyone is interested in anything I've posted, feel free to make me an offer; I'll put them all on eBay in the end, so it would save me the time.
  • Options
    The damaged ones would be great for a custom made cut autograph card.

I like the Casey Stengel inscription.

cheers
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    cut autos.
  • Options

<< <i>More:
    image >>

what the heck, you can actually read mays sig, its gotta be a fake!image