Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shipping question - signature confirmation for items over $250

Sometime back I read here that anything over $250 needs signature confirmation at USPS (if it's a Paypal transaction).

My question is, if I buy insurance for the item through USPS (which requires a signature), do I still need to get signature confirmation at an additional cost of $2.20?
Collecting Vintage Baseball.
My ebay listings

Comments

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Yes you have to have sig con. USPS doesn't yet consistently show scans of signatures for $200+ insured parcels. Paypal requires online signature proof, so you need it.

USPS will probably be including online sigs in the near future, our scanners are capturing sigs for insureds now.
  • Options
    Thanks Jim.

I did it yesterday. The item was a $280 card. The actual cost was $8.14. Here is the receipt breakdown:
    First Class Parcel $1.34
    Sig Confirmation 2.20
    Insurance 4.60
    Total 8.14

That is an awful lot imo for a $280 card. That doesn't even count my cost of supplies (bubble wrap, bubble mailer, etc.). I hate to do it, but I guess I'll have to increase the shipping charges on any listings over $250. If I charged $9 S & I on the listing, I'd probably get popped on the "reasonable shipping" portion of the ebay feedback.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    Just break it down in your listing and show people the cost... I have no problem paying if I know just what you are charging for. I hate paying $4+ and just getting a reused bubble envelope and a few stamps.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Kurt

When I get the signature it is called 'electronic' signature and it costs 85 cents.

the 2.20 cent one is the blue label and I think that can't be checked electronically.

Steve

edited to add: when I do get the ,85 signature I had to buy insurance of 200.00 or more.

Good for you.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Jim.

I did it yesterday. The item was a $280 card. The actual cost was $8.14. Here is the receipt breakdown:
    First Class Parcel $1.34
    Sig Confirmation 2.20
    Insurance 4.60
    Total 8.14

That is an awful lot imo for a $280 card. That doesn't even count my cost of supplies (bubble wrap, bubble mailer, etc.). I hate to do it, but I guess I'll have to increase the shipping charges on any listings over $250. If I charged $9 S & I on the listing, I'd probably get popped on the "reasonable shipping" portion of the ebay feedback. >>

Hi Kurt,
    What I do is factor in the required DC or Sig. conf. into my shipping amount with the postage. Package it well too. I usually charge $4 to $6 for shipping. I then make insurance optional to the buyer. So in essence you're offering cheaper more reasonable shipping. If the buyer is worried about receiving the item or having it arrive undamaged, it's on them to dispute that with the PO or for them to purchase the optional insurance.

I know many here would disagree with my statements, but I never feel the shipper is at fault with lost/damaged parcels as long as they are well-packaged and addressed correctly. It's entirely on the postal service to do their job. That's why were paying them the postage.

Also I would mention, I've had very few issues with USPS over the years. I think they provide excellent service/value at a somewhat reasonable cost.

What winpitcher said, purchasing sig. conf, or DC online is much cheaper that at the actual post office.

Rich
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "I know many here would disagree with my statements, but I never feel the shipper is at fault with lost/damaged parcels as long as they are well-packaged and addressed correctly. It's entirely on the postal service to do their job. That's why were paying them the postage. "

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The problem is that PayPal does not agree with that concept.

ALL uninsured lost/damaged items will be paid for by the seller in a PayPal transaction.
    IF PayPal denies a buyer's INR claim - baased on DC/SC - he simply goes to his credit-card
    company for help in shafting the seller.

THAT is why everything is insured by the seller.........one way or another. Buying insurance
    is of no benefit to a buyer; only the seller gains by buying insurance.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Thanks Leathtech, Steve and Rich!
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    I recommend sellers insist on buyer paying insurance. If they use paypal, and it is lost fault of PO...too bad for you.
    Only ship insured...at least that is what i do.
  • Options
    "I know many here would disagree with my statements, but I never feel the shipper is at fault with lost/damaged parcels as long as they are well-packaged and addressed correctly. It's entirely on the postal service to do their job. That's why were paying them the postage. "

Problem is in most cases it is the SELLER who is contracting with the USPS for delivery, under basic contract law the seller assumes the risk unless that risk is placed to the USPS by the shipper purchasing insurance.

I rarely ship anything with insurance or purchase it as it seems the USPS always finds a way out of paying it anyway. I have had to make 3 claims in the past 10 years and only got paid on one. It was lost and the DC showed it was in the system somewhere, the other 2 the DC showed the item delivered, BUT the insurance was never signed for.

I know of a guy who had a package run over by a USPS truck and they refused to pay because it was inadequatly packaged. Just assume the risk and should you have to pay move on. Its not the end of the world.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    hat winpitcher said, purchasing sig. conf, or DC online is much cheaper that at the actual post office.

I buy mine at the post office.

It is .85 cents.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    If you buy it online there is no guarantee it will get scanned correctly on departure or even on delivery. The odds are greater by purchasing it at the PO where each barcode is on a brightly colored sticker.
  • Options
    screw the buyer. take the reverse attitude that ebay has . the buyer is not always right. my ebay id is mike_felts, so put me on your list not to buy from me. I have only been in retail for 37 years and the buyer is not always right. I think that most buyers are cry babies because they did not get a 100 dollar bill for 50 bucks . so kiss my butt. this is just my opinion so u can't sue me u bunch of cry babies. thanks for the hate mail in advance and if u want my phone number pls email me.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fight the Power! Go diamondman, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>screw the buyer. take the reverse attitude that ebay has . the buyer is not always right. my ebay id is mike_felts, so put me on your list not to buy from me. I have only been in retail for 37 years and the buyer is not always right. I think that most buyers are cry babies because they did not get a 100 dollar bill for 50 bucks . so kiss my butt. this is just my opinion so u can't sue me u bunch of cry babies. thanks for the hate mail in advance and if u want my phone number pls email me. >>

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

That pretty much sums up my new attitude towards EBAY buyers in general.

BUT, in the graded-collectible categories, problem buyers are relatively RARE.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    That pretty much sums up my new attitude towards EBAY buyers in general.

BUT, in the graded-collectible categories, problem buyers are relatively RARE. >>

true but there is always the odd ball that thinks that they can grade better than PSA or any other grading company. and u gotta luv those idiots. JMO
  • Options

<< <i>That pretty much sums up my new attitude towards EBAY buyers in general.

BUT, in the graded-collectible categories, problem buyers are relatively RARE. >>

true but there is always the odd ball that thinks that they can grade better than PSA or any other grading company. and u gotta luv those idiots. JMO >>

TIME TO PLAY : Russian Roulette : Load the (5 shot .38) gun with 6 bullets and play the game. JMO
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>"I know many here would disagree with my statements, but I never feel the shipper is at fault with lost/damaged parcels as long as they are well-packaged and addressed correctly. It's entirely on the postal service to do their job. That's why were paying them the postage. "

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The problem is that PayPal does not agree with that concept.

ALL uninsured lost/damaged items will be paid for by the seller in a PayPal transaction.
    IF PayPal denies a buyer's INR claim - baased on DC/SC - he simply goes to his credit-card
    company for help in shafting the seller.

THAT is why everything is insured by the seller.........one way or another. Buying insurance
    is of no benefit to a buyer; only the seller gains by buying insurance. >>

Storm,
    I know you're very knowledgeable about all the ins and out of selling/shipping, however over the past nearly 10 years of selling on ebay, I've never lost one claim/dispute to paypal or any credit card co. when I've shipped by my methods. I've had only 5 claims filed on me. I won every one. Had one from a buyer in Beverly Hills, Ca. of all places who filed with paypal and their credit card co. that she didn't authorize the purchase that occured three months earlier. She claimed someone else used her credit card that was living at her place.
    Once I provided the online tracking to paypal I won the dispute. Paypal even emailed me to say they ate the charge back charges from the buyers CC co. because I did all the right procedures in shipping.

So from my experience: ship with DC or Sig. conf. (depending on value of item) for online tracking purposes, package it well (I've had ONE item damaged in the mails out of over 10,000+ transactions), ship to the confirmed address. Works every time.

Now that's not to say, I maybe haven't been scammed by a professional crook yet, so I'm knocking on wood right now as I'm typing this.

Also, shipping my way, you do open yourself up to getting negged by the buyer if the item did get lost in the mail and you don't refund them yourself (pre the one way feedback system now used).

With the new one-way feedback system in place, I'm sure I'll be exposed to some extortion by buyers in some way, but at this point I could really care less if I get a negative. Especially knowing I shipped the item quickly, to the right address, packaged it well, and can prove I mailed the item with the online tracking or postal receipt.

Maybe's there's many more scams going on out there in feebayland I haven't been through yet. I really only know what I've personally experienced.

Rich
  • Options
    99.9% of buyers in most categories are not going to do anything dishonest. Its that .1% that will get you. So far looking at feedback I have not seen one example of what could be feedback abuse on part of the buyers. I have seen an increase in negs left for sellers that deserve the negs.
  • Options
    Rich, I checked out one of your listings and how you do the S & I. I like it and may plagerize a bit if you don't mind image Since you have over 6200 FB 100% and very rare instances of problems per your post, it sounds like a winner to me. Thanks again. Kurt
    My ebay listings