Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this a board member?

From some E-bay descriptions:

Whoa, remember all the amazing things that happened in ‘57? - uh huh, me neither - but HEY, it’s the year I was born. Yeah yeah, I’m OLD - stop giggling and show a little respect, will ya! I may be getting up there in years but my mind is still as sharp as......uh.......er.......what the heck were we talkin’ about???? Oh, yeah, an old football pack! This year was a real good Topps moment cuz one of their card design dudes (or dudettes) came up with the split-photo innovation showing a sweet and endearing up-close and personal portrait of some gnarly gridiron monster PLUS an awesome action shot of that player on the same card. Neat, eh? That’s like getting TWO cards for the price of one! You should cut these in half and sell ‘em as a RARE Topps ‘test’ single . . . or, NOT! Anyway, for those of you in the know ~ this set is LOADED with BIG NAME stars and rookies, the likes of Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, and Paul Hornung as the BIG THREE rookies - but you pull a checklist from this pack, they’ve been bringin’ in $1000 + each in NrMt condition and that’d pay for the pack PLUS give you a few bucks to take your favorite cowboy, er, cowgal (oops, sorry - I had a Brokeback moment there) to Chucky Cheeses for one classy meal to celebrate! YeeHaw! So, go ahead and bid on this bad boy cuz it’s a good pack to have regardless of what you do with it. Not many around and not many in NM condition neither. Ya’ll have fun now and don’t fight over who’s gonna win it, ya hear!!!

Okay ya’ll - LET’s TALK - here’s a pack - not that old mind you, just a mere 28-years but a mighty powerful 28-year old it is. Why so much power - well, it’s not because of the idiotic idea to put three players on one card (which, technically wasn’t a bad thought given the success of all those formidable baseball leader cards we enjoyed pulling from packs and collecting) - but, to make this card a perforated three-panel card designed to be deliberately torn in apart in three separate pieces . . . . HELLO!?!?!. . . what da heck were the top Topps Brass smokin’ in their corporate bongs that day??!!! Not a smart move and the results were a disaster - not solely for the awful three-part-tearaway idea, but the overall design proved to be very UNpopular. Well, there was, as usual, a SILVER lining amongst this tortured ‘80 Topps Basketball issue - the rookies! Not only do we get two of basketballs most celebrated players, Mr. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, but we see them appear on several different cards in this set. But the best part of all - is, there is ONE single card (with three players on it as previously mentioned) but ONE three-part card featuring BOTH Larry Bird & Magic Johnson rookies . . . and if that weren’t miraculous enough - Topps tossed in Hall Of Famer Julius Erving as the kicker middle card for a sensational three Part Harmony of basketball greatness..... Yeah yeah you say, but what are the odds of pulling that ONE in a Million cardboard GEM??? Not nearly as hard as you may suspect . . . you have a pack with EIGHT cards (okay really 24 tiny cards but lets just stick with 8 regular sized cards for sake of argument) since the set only has 58 cards and your pack has eight, then you have about 1 in every 7 packs having the BeeBall Holy Grail!!! Not bad, eh? So, for less than 60 bucks (which, by the way, is a sweeeeet price since dealers are paying that per pack UNGRADED and yours is a Global AUTHENTICATED MINT 9 no less) - it’s a very good investment whether you wanna gamble and open it or decide it’s worth keeping sealed and watch the value just go up and up.... DAMN, can I ramble on or WHAT???? Aw heck, just buy it - it’ll be a wise choice.

Comments