3. Joe Morgan
2. Chip Carey
1. Chris Berman

Comments

• GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Joe Buck sucks too
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I can't stand Ron Santo.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    tim mccarver
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• tim mcarver and joe morgan will torture souls in hell for all eternity.
  • MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭
    I was watching the Cubs/Dodgers game last night and MAN was Rick Sutcliff all over Jim Edmonds. Anyone else hear that crap? Made me wonder if Edmonds owes him money he was bashing him so bad.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    10.) Tim McCarver
    9.) Tim McCarver
    8.) Tim McCarver
    7.) Tim McCarver
    6.) Tim McCarver
    5.) Tim McCarver
    4.) Tim McCarver
    3.) Tim McCarver
    2.) Tim McCarver
    1.) Tim McCarver

Shut Up Tim McCarver
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta agree with Chris Berman because despite his good knowledge of sports, those constant silly name-word association comments he makes are irritating beyond belief. I mean really, would even a third grader find these silly name-word analogies interesting or funny? He should remember that his audience is mostly adults, not first grade children. If he likes doing that so much, then he should go host Sesame Street and do it there.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Baseball wise,,
    Anyone behind the microphone for the White Sox!
    Oh, and Ron Santo's pretty bad too.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Rick Sutcliff was all over Pelfrey the other night for being rushed to the majors to quick and how he needs to go to AAA and figure out how to pitch. He wouldn't let it go.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
    God love Santo for all he has been through and I think he is HOF material too but I hate hearing him screech "Come on" anytime a call goes against the Cubs. He is the biggest homer/whiner in baseball history.
  • I'm not saying Joe Garagiola was bad, but I remember how disappointed I was in 1975 when the networks had him take over a lot
    of games for Curt Gowdy.

Curt Gowdy was the greatest announcer of all time in my book. When Joe took over, it just wasn't the same.
  • estangestang Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭
    I'm flipping through the channels last night and ESPN has Berman & Sutcliffe making their opening remarks at the top of the show. Berman says, "welcome to Ruby Tuesday night baseball". Sutcliffe makes some suck-up, pathetic laugh --- I shake my head and flip the channel.

ESPN should relegate Berman to NFL game day Sundays and stick him in the closet the rest of the time -- or let him go altogether.

Chip Carey is brutal. He's arrogant, annoying and impatient. I could swear the guy is sucking on lifesavers when he's calling a game on the radio.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>10.) Tim McCarver
    9.) Tim McCarver
    8.) Tim McCarver
    7.) Tim McCarver
    6.) Tim McCarver
    5.) Tim McCarver
    4.) Tim McCarver
    3.) Tim McCarver
    2.) Tim McCarver
    1.) Tim McCarver

Shut Up Tim McCarver >>

In another era, this list would've read:

10) Cosell
    9) Cosell
    8) Cosell
    7) Cosell
    6) Cosell
    5) Cosell
    4) Cosell
    3) Cosell
    2) Cosell
    1) Cosell
    Something tels me there won't be any Tim McCarver nostalgia years later like there is for Cosell.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan Dierdorf annoys me from time to time
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Anyone in the NY area would have to say that Suzyn Waldman isn't only the most pompous, annoying, hometown-rooting announcer in baseball, but she's also the biggest Yankees apologist going.

Don't even get me started on her blatent sexual fantasties and stalker like obsession and unyeilding protection of Raja Clemens...

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't even get me started on her blatent sexual fantasties and stalker like obsession and unyeilding protection of Raja Clemens... >>

Oh my HORROR- I definately will NOT ask for any info pertaining to that stuff! image

Hey Perk, now that I'm over 700 posts, I feel like I can now ask....who ARE the Perkies? Do you know them or is it a picture you found?
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>10.) Tim McCarver
    9.) Tim McCarver
    8.) Tim McCarver
    7.) Tim McCarver
    6.) Tim McCarver
    5.) Tim McCarver
    4.) Tim McCarver
    3.) Tim McCarver
    2.) Tim McCarver
    1.) Tim McCarver

Shut Up Tim McCarver >>

Hard to argue with this. McCarver is a total tool. Joe Morgan is not far behind
  • dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    I remember when Magic Johnson used to announce. He doesn't speak english and it sounds like he had a mouth full of oatmeal. Further, he couldn't help himself and often talked about stories involving his playing days and less about anybody on the floor. Moron. Walton is almost as bad.
  • i always am amazed by how much some people hate some of these play by play guys. I dont even know who it is when i am watching, nor do i care. I dont like some people, but i am nowhere near the point of wanting to turn off the sound or stab my ear drums. I guess i have low standards.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    McCarver is one of the most stupid broadcasters I've ever heard. In years past , if there was a game I was really interested in, and he was one of the broadcasters, I'd turn the sound all the way down, instead of listening to his moronic babblings.

He would be better suited as the carnival operator at the duck pool or clown dunking.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maxim writers must just write what they are told to write, if they watched sports McCarver and &uck would be on that list
  • dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>i always am amazed by how much some people hate some of these play by play guys. I dont even know who it is when i am watching, nor do i care. I dont like some people, but i am nowhere near the point of wanting to turn off the sound or stab my ear drums. I guess i have low standards. >>

Actually I was watching a race this year where Darrell Waltrip was trying to announce with laryngitis. The sound was so utterly annoying that I ended up listening to the race on the radio. I cannot stand the guy anyways with his stupid "boogity boogity" chant, but this was beyond annoying.

I've never considered stabbing my ear drums, but I might if I lose my remote control and decide it's not worth getting off my arse to turn the sound down.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walton should be higher up the list....

If I hear his voice I turn off the game. Simple.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

• << <i>tim mcarver and joe morgan will torture souls in hell for all eternity. >>

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    did i mention tim mccarver????

i once booed him by myself at old tiger stadium, god i hate to listen to him.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• I just got MLB extra innings. The only downside is some of the announcers are utter CRAP

Don Sutton is the absolute worst. I don't remember what game he was commentating on, but his voice sounded like a cross between an emo singer, fart noises, and someone gargling turpentine.

The YES announcer was also god awful
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Tim McCarver has made so many stupid comments over the years that he could keep David Letterman with new material for years to come. Letterman could go over to the dark side and do a sports show on ESPN or Fox called, "The Worlds Stupidist Announcers and Commentators". Letterman could do a Top 10 stupid things that Tim McCarver says list every night of the week using a new list every night. So McCarver gets my vote for #1 on the list. As a Lakers fan and a UCLA fan it saddens me to say that Magic and Walton would make the bad list as well.

Not sure how many people have heard the Dodgers announcer Ross Porter...he was terrible back in his day. Nothing like hearing him say this every time there was a routine popup to the outfielder, "There goes a ball to deep left field, it's going, going, going, it's g........., it's caught by George Foster right at the warning track" But in reality it was big league pop up well before the warning track. As a kid I used to have to hear Porter all the time...He would also be on my list.
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get Center Ice, then you already know that Mike Haynes - play-by-play announcer for the Colorado Avalanche - makes Tim McCarver look like a broadcasting god.

Worst.
    Announcer.
    Ever.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> If you get Center Ice, then you already know that Mike Haynes - play-by-play announcer for the Colorado Avalanche - makes Tim McCarver look like a broadcasting god. >>

I have never heard Mike Haynes before, so I will have to take your word. I didn't think that was possible for someone to be worse than McCarver.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    These are some that I couldn't stand (they've moved on) or can't stand to listen to Walt Frazier (Knicks), Fran Healey (Mets), Suzyn Waldman (Yankees), Jiggs McDonald (Islanders), Tim McCarver (Mets and now national broadcasts), Tom Seaver (Mets/Yankees), Al Michaels (Monday Night Football, Olympics - although his Miracle on Ice call is dynamic), John Miller (national MLB broadcasts), Joe Morgan (national MLB broadcasts), Hawk Harrelson (White Sox), and anyone doing WWE or whatever they call it now.

Some of my favorites are Harry "Its outta here!" Kalas (Phillies and NFL radio) with his oft times monotone style, Mike Emerick (Devils and national NHL broadcasts), John Davidson (Rangers and national NHL broadcasts), and Tommy Hutton and Hank Greenwald when they teamed to do Yankees games in the late 1980's (they were the best team since the shennanigans of Frank Messer, Bill White, and Phil Rizzuto) and there's been nothing close since!
  • I love Madden, so I can't agree with that one, but yeah, I can't stand Vitale, Berman, and Gumbel. Maxim has probably never
    hear Joe Buck and/or Tim McCarver, because I think it's pretty much a consensus in the real world that these two are the
    biggest idiots out there. Has anyone ever heard Dwayne Stats and Joe Migrane for the Rays??? GOD AWFUL. I'd rather be
    condemned to hell with Joe Buck in my ear for eternity than listen to those two for a 3 hour game.

Oh yeah, totally agree with the Sutcliff comment. He just babbles on and on about stupid crap.

• Jim Palmer, he thinks he knows everything. I put him in the same column with Joe Morgan and Joe Theisman. I can't listening to any of them.
    ORIOLES FOR TRADE
    My 57 set
    1957 O's team: Completed
    1978 O's team: 71.4%
    1980 O's team: 85.7%
    1974 O's team: 74.2%
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6 or 7 of those would probably make the Top Ten list in the same survey. Votes will go to who they know, and just as many are annoyed by the well known announcers as those who like such announcers.

The really bad ones on that list are Joe Morgan, Billy Packer, and Bryant Gumbel. Packer would probably make a top 10 list though. Joe Morgan is so horrible I do not know of ANYONE who thinks he is good.
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very hard to watch the NFL channel with Bryant Gumbel as a broadcaster.
    I usually turn the sound off. I can't think of any other broadcaster I do that with.
    SO he is #1 on my list.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • goose givens....molester!!
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Dan Dierdorf was really tough to listen to. Jim Palmer is a blowhard. Billy Packer is another blowhard. Joe Buck would've announce Mays' over the shoulder catch like a routine pop up.

Here are my favorites in no particular order:
    - Gus Johnson- The man can make a Venezuelan women's waterpolo game exciting.
    - Marv Albert- YES!!!
    - Boomer Esiason- It's a shame Al Michaels is such a jackass because Boomer was made for MNF.
    - James Brown- Always on top of things, rarely makes an error. Seems very prepared.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I agree - Jim Palmer is a blowhard. I intensely dislike is broadcasting partner, but I can't remember his name . . . the guy that tried to make himself famous by publicly stating he thought Schilling faked the bloody sock incident.

Joe Morgan, Tim McCarver, Jon Miller, and Joe Buck are all lucky to be employed doing anything.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Jon Miller was great back in the day when he did O's games. I think broadcasting for ESPN makes you dumber. Imagine spending all of your time with the likes of Berman, Stuart Scott, Kenny Mayne, and Hank Goldberg.

• << <i>Jon Miller was great back in the day when he did O's games. . >>

I remember Jon Miller announcing Soccer Bowl 78 at Giants Stadium when the Cosmos beat the Tampa Bay Rowdies 3-1.
    I also remember Jim Gray interviewing players after the Sixers beat the Lakers in 1983 in the championship. These guys have
    been around forever, and so have I.