Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Experience with Mark Grace and D-backs tonight

I wanted to share with the group a great experience I had with my family tonight. A month ago I was high bidder at a charity auction for a behind the scenes with the Diamondbacks package donated by the team. The experience was for tonight's game with the Giants. We met a team rep early enough to go out on the field with the D-Backs for batting practice. We hung out behind the batting cage as the players based back and forth. Chip Hale came by and gave my two kids baseballs. After BP we got a tour of the clubhouse, went to underground batting catch and went through other behind the scenes things like the scoreboard group. We then got to go back outside the stadium and into the Fox Sports television truck and watched how they produced the telecast. Very interestings to see how it all comes together.

The highlight then came when we were taken up to the television booth for two inninngs. We were up there with Mark Grace and Daron Sutton. Both of them were great with my kids. Mark Grace passed out jelly beans, took pictures with us and signed baseballs. We just hung out in the background and watched what they do in the booth when the camera is not on them. I was surprised to see how much they were on the Internet pulling down stats, notes they were using, etc. Kudos to the D-Backs for a first class experience. Too bad they lost tonight.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

Comments

• Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Sounds like a great time and lifetime memories for your kids!!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this with us.

Those two are a fine crew. They always make their broadcasts fun and interesting without being egregious homers. I've always thought that Grace seems like someone who had his priorities straight and is as good a guy as he was a player. Glad to know my perception is accurate.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    great story - get a lot of pics?
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing.

Grace always seemed like a good dude.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    sounds like a great experience!
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Very cool thanks for sharing. On field for BP im jealous. Gracie seems like he would be a pretty cool guy in a number of ways. I have heard of stories; in his younger days, in Chicago that when opposing teams came into town he was a good "tour guide".
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Did he light a cig on the field?

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    That's great. I had always wondered if they had the internet there to use for stats like that. I thought that maybe the producers just fed them the stats, but then it seems like if the commentator knows he wants to talk about something that the producers couldn't anticipate it would be helpful for them to have their own access to stats.

And I agree, Grace and Sutton make a good team. With all the talent out there, it's a crime that we still have to put up with guys like Buck & McCarver and Miller & Morgan for the post-season games.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love listening to Grace when he is on the Rome show. He is one of the funniest guys out there. The terms gets used way too much, but Grace is a throwback style of player. I was surprised he never really hit home runs, especially in Wrigley. I thought he would be a 20-25HR guy.
    Mike
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love listening to Grace when he is on the Rome show. He is one of the funniest guys out there. The terms gets used way too much, but Grace is a throwback style of player. I was surprised he never really hit home runs, especially in Wrigley. I thought he would be a 20-25HR guy. >>

I think Grace had the most base hits in the National League during the 1990's
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    He sure did. He still won't make the hall though, even if I wish he did.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.
  • Options
    Any pics to post?
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Grace sure was a great player to watch with Harry and Steve calling the action!

I agree with ndleo about his Jim Rome appearances. He is very funny.

Robert
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

<< <i>great story - get a lot of pics? >>

Thanks guys for the feedback. In the rush to get the family out of the house, we forgot our camera. We ended up taking photo with daughter's cell phone. I have not gotten download yet but will see what I can do.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff!
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Cool!!