Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Vintage football guys, what's the best set, 58 or 59?

Just curious what your opinions are about player selection etc.

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Do yourself a favor and go w/ 57! :-) Just don't outbid me on the high #'s!

But I like 58. Clean set.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1958 has the rookie cards of Jim Brown and Sonny Jurgensen.

1959 has the rookie cards of Alex Karras, Max McGee, Sam Huff, John David Crow, Jerry Kramer, Jim Parker, Bobby Mitchell and Jim Taylor. The problem with the Jim Taylor card is that although it has the bio, stats, and team information for the Packers HOF running back, the picture is of the "other" Jim Taylor, who was a linebacker for the Chicago Cardinals. Topps made the same mistake again in 1960.

Also, while Paul Hornung's rookie card was in the 1957 set, he was not in the 1958 set. He is in the 1959 set.

Steve
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I prefer 58's. I like the design and the Brown rookie is appealing, and the 2nd year cards of Starr and Unitas.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    I would have to vote 1958 over 1959 due to the design. What it lacks in quantity of rookies, it makes up for with quality, and it is a smaller set by about 50 cards or so. These look incredible in higher grade, whereas the 1959 offering looks fine in mid-grade and is usually cheaper comparatively speaking.

Snorto~
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Both sets are nice, I'm currently building 58 but not 59, but I will probably do 59 in the future.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I'm working on both sets. The '58 is much tougher to complete. Commons in '58 sell for way more than in the '59 set. Both sets are cool and appealing to me.

Years ago there was a major vending find in the second series of the '59 issue, making high grade stars/commons a little easier to find than in the first series.

The '58 set has some pretty cool posed cards like the Lamar McHan throwing a jump pass.

For whatever reason there's a '58 Jurgensen RC, but he's not in the '59 set. And as Steve pointed out, the reverse is true with Paul Hornung, no '58 card but he has a second year card in '59. There's a '58 Blanda but no '59 Blanda card. Same with HOF'er Tommy McDonald. Strange how Topps made some player selections in sets.

Both sets have over 30 HOF'ers in them. Either set you choose to build will be a lot of fun working on.

Rich
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would have to vote 1958 over 1959 due to the design. What it lacks in quantity of rookies, it makes up for with quality, and it is a smaller set by about 50 cards or so. These look incredible in higher grade, whereas the 1959 offering looks fine in mid-grade and is usually cheaper comparatively speaking.

Snorto~ >>

Agreed.

Once I complete the TAAs, I'll take on the '58 set as well.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i prefer the design of the 58's over the 59's. off topic i also like the design of 58 baseball too.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    BlackborderBlackborder Posts: 2,797

<< <i>i prefer the design of the 58's over the 59's. off topic i also like the design of 58 baseball too. >>

Interesting because I always thought the 58 BB and 59 FB were pretty much the same design and the 58 FB and 59 BB similar also. (I like all 4 by the way.)