Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1884S VAM-7

Hi Forum,

I'm new to collecting (small time) and have enjoyed reading through the posts here. I recently bought an 1884-S Morgan at auction and unfortunately fell victim to what I'll call the "newbie dazzle effect" - a nice, shiny coin that didn't look cleaned to me in photos (but probably would have to an experienced collector). Alas, it has been cleaned and neither PCGS or NGC would certify it. So, off to ANACS it went. I was not surprised at the grade - AU 50 details - cleaned, but was surprised that they assigned a VAM-7 to it. After looking it up, a VAM-7 for this coin means a doubled mint mark and the date is more to the right than usual. I know that AU grade 1884-S are common, but is this VAM anything special? I haven't been able to find one at the usual online auction and trading places (Heritage, Teletrade etc.). Sorry, I have no idea how to upload a photo.

Thanks.

Comments

  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the hobby, use the search function it is your friend.
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum. Your coin is an I2-R3. Which means not much interest and not that rare. Check out www.vamworld.com I linked it below:

    84-S Vam 7 on Vamworld
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    erroiderroid Posts: 795 ✭
    The 84S/S V-7 is a neat variety, but doesn't carry any premium(that I know of); I too, could not find a spicific sale.
    John G Bradley II
  • Options
    Thanks everybody. I saw it listed on Vamworld, but had no idea what the I-2 R-3 meant.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file