Home Sports Talk
Options

Wings thumped the Pens again.

Their D is very tough and Ozzy is stopping everything. He isn't giving up many rebounds and when he does, there's almost always another Wing clearing it from the front of the net. Malkin has been invisible to this point. 1 shot in the first two games? Been plenty of good hits in the series both ways. Pens showed a little frustration in the third last night and took too many penalties in the entire game. Hasn't been a real close series to this point, but things may change at Pittsburgh. If they lose in game three, I don't suspect my game 5 tickets will be good for anything but a refund.

Go Wings!!!

Comments

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    That big fight breaking out was not a surprise since I'm sure the frustration level with the Penguins is pretty high right now.

Third game is essential for Pittsburgh, lose that and well.......
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I saw them play all 3 games in Dallas. They are by far the best hockey team I have ever seen (though I am just a casual fan). Certainly the best team of the last 10 years and better than the other cup winning teams the Wings have had recently.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>I saw them play all 3 games in Dallas. They are by far the best hockey team I have ever seen (though I am just a casual fan). Certainly the best team of the last 10 years and better than the other cup winning teams the Wings have had recently.

Ron >>

Yeah, it's really hard to know what this teams' full season potential was as they were running away with the Presidents Trophy by a large margin before a bunch of guys went down with injuries about a month before the seasons end. Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Chelios, Lidstrom, Draper, Kronwall, Hasek & Rafalski (& possibly others) all had to sit out multiple games (much at the same time) while their team really struggled to win anything for about a 12-15 game stretch. They have plenty of offensive capability, but I've been pretty shocked with what their defense has done. Remember that after the strike, they lost players like Yzerman, Shanahan, Hull, Lang, Schneider and others and most predicted they would finish around third or fourth in their division that year, yet they again won the Presidents Trophy. They have been getting a lot more from Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Cleary and others than most ever expected. And as opposed to many of their teams in the past, much of their young talent was actually drafted by Detroit and guys like Datsyuk and Zetty were late round picks that have certainly been huge steals considering. And to round the thought, you probably haven't been able to see a lot of their other young talents that put some time in this year, but were kept off the playoff rosters. They'll be tough for years down the road. Their scouting department is obviously the best out there, and definitely one of the best in any of the major sports.
  • Options

I have been patiently waiting for the Pen's to get back to the cup since 1992 and really thought they had a great chance to exploit Osgood and beat the Wings. They have not been able to get anything going offensively at all and have been making costly errors behind Fleury that I am not used to seeing them do and the Wings are making them pay...

What can they do? they can man up and realize that they are being beaten by a better team and some how step up to the next level and play the best game of the series. It's a tall task to do but being humbled on national tv not once but twice should motivate them to play better. Either way its a hard pill to swallow watching this letdown by the Pens. They will be better @ home than in Detroit and must find a way to generate some offense and stop taking lazy stupid penalties and put more shots on Osgood and I think he will make some mistakes. The rest of the wings are to good in front of him, so if you can get to him and they can be beaten... The Pens have not lost @ home in almost 4 months!
    Go Pens!!!
  • Options
    This Wings team reminds me of the NJ Devils in the 90's. Great defense like Neidermeier, Rafalski, Stevens,etc., and a lot of speedy
    skaters who knew how to play the trap. These kind of teams will always win because speed, defense, and goaltending wins cups.

However, the only way to beat them is the tactic Fred Shero used on the Russians in 1975 when the Flyers were the only team to beat
    the fast skating Russians 4-1 at the Spectrum. Even the great skating Canadians tied them 3-3, but Shero's plan was perfect with an inferior skating team.
  • Options

<< <i>I have been patiently waiting for the Pen's to get back to the cup since 1992 and really thought they had a great chance to exploit Osgood and beat the Wings. They have not been able to get anything going offensively at all and have been making costly errors behind Fleury that I am not used to seeing them do and the Wings are making them pay...

What can they do? they can man up and realize that they are being beaten by a better team and some how step up to the next level and play the best game of the series. It's a tall task to do but being humbled on national tv not once but twice should motivate them to play better. Either way its a hard pill to swallow watching this letdown by the Pens. They will be better @ home than in Detroit and must find a way to generate some offense and stop taking lazy stupid penalties and put more shots on Osgood and I think he will make some mistakes. The rest of the wings are to good in front of him, so if you can get to him and they can be beaten... The Pens have not lost @ home in almost 4 months!
    Go Pens!!! >>

The one thing that some people don't realize until they see them is how good Detroits lines are 1-4. Anybody on any of these lines can score, but more importantly can defend almost anybody. Their best offensive line (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom) is also their best defensive line. Datsyuk was the steals leader this year and led the second place player (Modano) by 58 steals!!! He also led the league in +/- with a +41. Their defenseman are all solid. Liddy is still probably the best defenseman there is in the league right now. Kronvall is quickly becoming an excellent all-around player. The whole team plays D. These guys are quick and always on top of you. They forecheck as well as any team out there, so they make it hard to even cross center let alone carry it into the zone.

Hasek, one of the best goalies ever, is on the bench because he let in some questionable goals. Ozzy has yet to do so. With him, you get a guy that makes many of the tougher saves, but generally doesn't give up easy goals or big rebounds. He can handle the puck and doesn't often get out of position. He's always been a steady player. But even if something happens, it's not crushing if they have to go back to Hasek.

Also they seem to always get somebody to get the goals when they really need them. Guys you don't expect to do it like Franzen, who has scored 12 goals in 12 games for the playoffs. Samuelsson scored 2 huge goals in game 1. Hudler has played very well.

In the end, Pittsburgh probably only lacks one thing that would allow them to win the series IMO. Experience. They're making many of the same mistakes I saw Detroit make when they finally made it back to the Cup Finals against Jersey in the 90's. Lots of talent. Tons of wins. Could score from anywhere. Yet when they played Jersey, they looked like they were surprised to be there. Missing passes, turning over the puck, not always looking to shoot when open... But now they have plenty of guys with Stanley Cup-winning experience. Liddy, Draper, Hasek, Ozzy, Maltby, Datsyuk, Rafalski etc... I think they said they have 23 rings amonst all the players who have won a cup on this team. I believe they said Pitt has 5 rings from 3 players. Couple that with the pressure the media has put on a guy like Crosby to revive the sport. If you're not a Wings fan, you're probably watching to either see them get clobbered or to finally see what all the Crosby buzz is about. To this point, he hasn't given us much of a glimpse. Will he? Hard to say. Between Detroits pressure on him and Malkins lack of production, it will be an uphill climb. My guess (and hopes) is that they lose in 4 or 5 (tickets for game 5). But this experience will make them a much better team next year even if they get swept.

With the looks of these 2 teams, we may see a few more Wings/Pens Cup Finals over the next 10 years. Could be exciting... for Detroit & Pittsburgh fans image
  • Options
    Well my good bud... i honestly can say that... i cannot believe how the wings have dominated the pens so far. I expected the fast flying pens against the best puck possession team the wings. But, if the pens dont start something soon.. then this series will be over quickly.

BTW... you dont have any spare tickets for the wings preds series that didnt get used do you?
  • Options

<< <i>Well my good bud... i honestly can say that... i cannot believe how the wings have dominated the pens so far. I expected the fast flying pens against the best puck possession team the wings. But, if the pens dont start something soon.. then this series will be over quickly.

BTW... you dont have any spare tickets for the wings preds series that didnt get used do you? >>

Hey buddy, what's up? Nope, no ticket stubs or unused from the Preds series. I only have went to game 1 of the Avs series so far. I'm in a dilemma as I'd like to see a sweep, but then wouldn't be able to go to game 5. If they finish in game 5 though, it would be great to be there. Has been kind of surprising so far. I did actually think Detroit would win in 5 (which is why I paid a premium for good tickets), but I thought the games would be closer.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    They forecheck as well as any team out there, so they make it hard to even cross center let alone carry it into the zone.

/////////////////////////////////

I don't follow this. How does a good forecheck prevent the other team from carrying the puck into their opponent's zone?
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I was hoping the Pens would give them a run for the money. If they don't get the offense going we might see a sweep. I hope I am wrong but we'll see.
  • Options

<< <i>They forecheck as well as any team out there, so they make it hard to even cross center let alone carry it into the zone.

/////////////////////////////////

I don't follow this. How does a good forecheck prevent the other team from carrying the puck into their opponent's zone? >>

Well I meant to say they forecheck as well as any team out there, but they make it harder to even cross center let alone carry it in the zone. My point was that they forecheck as well as anybody, but many teams have so much trouble getting it into the zone against them that it doesn't matter. I guess I should have simply stated that they defend the entire ice, even when in their offensive zone. It's not just about puck control. Their positioning is always with the intent of defending their goal.
  • Options
    The Pens finally scoredimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>The Pens finally scoredimageimage >>

They played a very solid game. They deserved the win. The only thing I would be worried about is that the Pens really seemed to dominate much of the game and Detroit put in one of their worst performances of the playoffs (with credit going to the Pens) and the Pens only won by a goal. That's hockey and of course, a win is a win and a welcomed one considering. If they (the Pens) can put up a similar effort in game four, we have a new series. If they cannot, it will still likely be over in five. Congrats to all you Pens fans. On to game four.
  • Options
    hmmmm holmstrom out??? Will that pump the Pens, or will that help Franzen??