Home Sports Talk
Options

Did anyone see Danica's little temper tantrum at Indy?

And what did you think? The crash was totally Briscoe's fault, but the sight of a 3 foot girl stalking down to Briscoe's
pit just made me laugh. She looked like she was ready to punch him. Danica was, what 7th or 8th, with a slow and poorly
handling car, and no chance to win the race. She over-reacted severely, in my opinion.
Contrast this with Tony Kanaan, who was taken out by his own teammate's moronic move, while in the lead no less.
In the post-crash interview (which Danica refused to do until after the race), Tony was good natured and light-hearted
about the whole thing. Upset yes, but his whole attitude was like, "No biggie, there's always next time."
And based upon the media coverage of the Danica incident, it seems to me as though she is treated
differently, as though she is special, and above criticism. Any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Didn't see it, but I've had more than my fill of her via the media. Enough...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I don't follow racing so I didn't see the tantrum, but the still photo of her on all the news/sports sites today just totally reinforced my belief that she's actually a man.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Mercury10c,

I saw it. Thought it was funny. What was even more funny was when the commentators starting saying, something to the effect of, she acts like that because she is hard core, cares about winning, doesn't back down ... which has led to all her success. Success? What success? Are the commentators referring to that one race she won in Japan. If winning one race constitutes success, then the Indy circuit has a fairly low standard of success.

What is the bottom line in sports? I'm not sure. But I have to think that winning is as good a bottom line as any. Except for Danica Patrick. Where it seems like participation is the bottom line.

So does it seems like

<< <i>as though she is treated differently, as though she is special, and above criticism. >>

YOU BET!

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    I'm one of the few that can't stand Danica AT ALL. I'm a die hard Chip Ganassi fan so I was more than pleased to see Dixon take it. If only Wheldon could've done a little better...

By the way, I'm pleased to see someone venture to the world of racing on here, do you follow it regularly or are you an Indy 500 fan only?
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Don't hate us cause we're beautiful!

Sincerely,
    Anna Kornakova
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Dear Scoreboard,

You don't apply to me.

Sincerely,

Anna Kornakova and Danica Patrick.

... to Goot,

I follow F1 racing and some Indy racing. Funny, I used to follow the Indy 500 hard core ... growing up. I recall STAYING UP late at night to watch the Indy 500. All you need to know about F1 and the seriousness of it is this. Back in September 2007, the governing body of F1 laid down a ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLAR ($100,000,000.00) FINE on McLaren for spying on Ferrari (spying ... sound familiar). I have no actual numbers, but I would guess that all the fines in the history of all four (4) major sports don't even come close to the $100,000,000.00 fine.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    alas, she never had a chance, plus it was that special time of the month she was moody
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dear Scoreboard,

You don't apply to me.

Sincerely,

Anna Kornakova and Danica Patrick. >>

BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Well played, sir.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    She's the Anna Kournokova of auto racing
    & the current media darling because she's a female
    She's won one race & that was with half the field racing in Long Beach so that was a watered down victory at best
    Until she wins a Championship she's just another racer, among many
    Today being a female in auto racing is the "kool" thing
    Win Baby!
    All else is BS
  • Options
    Looks wise she can't hold Anna K's panties !but I would like to see it. She is just an annoying little brat.What if she had gone down to the other guy and swung at him, would he have swung back?

Lou
    Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I'd hit it.
  • Options

<< <i>

... to Goot,

I follow F1 racing and some Indy racing. Funny, I used to follow the Indy 500 hard core ... growing up. I recall STAYING UP late at night to watch the Indy 500. All you need to know about F1 and the seriousness of it is this. Back in September 2007, the governing body of F1 laid down a ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLAR ($100,000,000.00) FINE on McLaren for spying on Ferrari (spying ... sound familiar). I have no actual numbers, but I would guess that all the fines in the history of all four (4) major sports don't even come close to the $100,000,000.00 fine.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

That's cool to see another racing fan on the boards. I'm not really into Nascar, although I'm a big Kasey Kahne fan (not because he won the past 2 weeks!). I was pretty much raised on NASCAR but me and my dad have gradually shifted to the open wheel and touring car divisions. I've been to every 24 hours of Daytona race since 1999 (I was 7 going on 8), numerous Daytona 500s and Pepsi 400s, the Homestead and St. Pete Indy races as well as the Disney Indy races back in the mid-late 90s. Tons of local short track/dirt track stuff as well.

We also drove 20+ hours to watch the inaugural US Grand Prix at Indy for F1, only to get soaked and freeze our butts off while watchign Schumacher take it to the field. The past few years have been an adjustment for me and my dad as Hakkinen, Coulthard, Schumacher and Barichello ran away with the podiums for practically EVERY race and dominated the rest of the field. If you weren't Mcclaren or Ferrari, you might as well have not run. However, the past few years have seen Hakinen and Schuey retire and Coulthard and Barichello fade into near obscurity. I don't really have a strong favorite in F1 anymore but Kimi Raikkonen is pretty far up on my list.

Who are the drivers you normally root for?

Mine go....
    NASCAR- Kahne
    Indy- CHIP's boys...Wheldon and Dixon
    F1- Kimmi
    Rolex- Chip's teams, so normally Scott Pruett and someone else that fills the revolving co-driver seat in that series.
  • Options

<< <i>By the way, I'm pleased to see someone venture to the world of racing on here, do you follow it regularly or are you an Indy 500 fan only? >>

I follow Indy Car only. Can't stand watching NASCAR. There's so many cars on such small tracks that there are too many crashes and half the race
    is run under yellow. Oh boy, that's exciting.
    I'm another one that has had it up to my eyeballs with Danica. She's a whiner and a poor sport and is quick to blame everyone else for her
    failures. She will never be one of the top drivers, unless everyone bails and goes to NASCAR. Even better, maybe she'll bail and go to
    NASCAR. Those good ol' boys won't put up with her primadonna bullsheet.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Totally disagree, we have seen plenty of punches thrown by guys at the end of races and no one comments at all. She gets taken out with the most stupid move ever by a driver and has a reason to be pissed and you come up with a sexist and silly remarks just because she is a female.

If a male went after Briscoe no thread, because Danika did we make fun of her because the "little girl" got mad and must be on her period.

BTW Cannan threw his teamate under the bus plenty and called the move "retarded" in interviews I have heard and that he is lucky he was a teammate. Doesn't seem he was too jovial to me about his wreck. I am from Indy so our coverage is much more comprehensive then most so maybe you didn't get to hear all of his comments.

Nice one too to take away any meaning of her one win as she made great passes and drove very well in that race.

I don't even like Danica, I root for Ed Carpenter but this thread is garbage.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>

Nice one too to take away any meaning of her one win as she made great passes and drove very well in that race.

>>

I'm not so sure anyone took away meaning from here one win. However, I think many feel as though one win doesn't mean squat and that she is unworthy of the hype that she receives. Once she can start to win a couple races a season and become more consistent, most people will stop with the jokes and taunting. Hell, John Andretti has even pulled off a few wins in NASCAR. One win doesn't make you special, it just makes you lucky. Also, I believe that nearly any driver in the IndyCar Series could win with the equipment and staff that she has behind her at Andretti-Green Racing.

I'll never like her, even if she can somehow pull off a championship (hell will freeze over), and will continue to root against her. Not because she's a girl either, but just because she works with a team that happens to be a rival of Chip Ganassi Racing. I feel the same about Castroneves, Andretti, and used to feel that way about Hornish Jr. Kanaan has always been cool with me though.

Does anyone remember Sarah Fisher? What about Milka Duno? Danica Patrick owes her career to Sarah and couldn't even hold Duno's bra on the international level. The only reason anyone gives a crap about Danica is because she's an attention whore, not because she's a pioneer in her sport (which she isn't close to being).
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Sarah Fisher could never drive as consistent as Patrick, that is a fact. Look at the spin out Fisher had on Sunday, she is very likeable but has never had the talent Patrick has. Look, there are alot of good looking girls who want to race, we have to concede that Patrick was the first to make something out of her chances. There have been alot of drivers in good cars not win, hey look at Earnherdt this year in NASCAR.

If you want to invoke luck, every driver who ever won a race needed some luck to win. At any moment in any race another person can take you out just like what happened to Danica. Also since when is running top ten suck at a race like Indy? Seems like no matter what she will fail because people want her too any success she has will be given to luck or her equipment not on he talent. J

ust because we watch racing on TV doesn't mean we have any idea how hard it is to race a car at those speeds but I assume it takes some talent not to wreck out of every race, just look at the rookie carange from this year.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>Sarah Fisher could never drive as consistent as Patrick, that is a fact. Look at the spin out Fisher had on Sunday, she is very likeable but has never had the talent Patrick has. Look, there are alot of good looking girls who want to race, we have to concede that Patrick was the first to make something out of her chances. There have been alot of drivers in good cars not win, hey look at Earnherdt this year in NASCAR.

If you want to invoke luck, every driver who ever won a race needed some luck to win. At any moment in any race another person can take you out just like what happened to Danica. Also since when is running top ten suck at a race like Indy? Seems like no matter what she will fail because people want her too any success she has will be given to luck or her equipment not on he talent. J

ust because we watch racing on TV doesn't mean we have any idea how hard it is to race a car at those speeds but I assume it takes some talent not to wreck out of every race, just look at the rookie carange from this year. >>

I understand and I never said she sucks. I just said that I don't think she deserves all the attention and hype she gets just for winning one race because she's a female. Racing is not a sport where strength, ability to jump, or agility is a key factor in who wins or loses. While I know that the judgements made about her (this thread for instance) are the real hurdles she's had to climb, the media needs to just get over the love affair with her and the intrigue of the "woman driver" which isn't a new subject at all. She's been in the league 4! freaking seasons and everyone needs to just let it go!

Yes, she is 6th in standings but is no where astronomically close to the top three of Dixon, Helio and Wheldon. And once again, I believe anyone of those drivers could do that well just by having the team she has.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I would love to see her hot and bothered.

RB
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I would also like to see her and Milka make out.

RB
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>BTW Cannan threw his teamate under the bus plenty and called the move "retarded" in interviews I have heard and that he is lucky he was a teammate. Doesn't seem he was too jovial to me about his wreck. >>

I was referring to one interview in specific, which you obviously did not see.

<< <i>I'm not so sure anyone took away meaning from here one win. However, I think many feel as though one win doesn't mean squat and that she is unworthy of the hype that she receives. Once she can start to win a couple races a season and become more consistent, most people will stop with the jokes and taunting. Hell, John Andretti has even pulled off a few wins in NASCAR. One win doesn't make you special, it just makes you lucky. Also, I believe that nearly any driver in the IndyCar Series could win with the equipment and staff that she has behind her at Andretti-Green Racing. >>

Goot, I agree 100%. With the resources of AGR, most drivers on the Indy circuit could win a couple races a year.
    And btw, I do give her credit for what she has done, which is nothing more than put Indy racing on the map, but
    what the hell did she think she was going to do by marching down to Briscoe's pit? Punch him in the face?

<< <i>I would also like to see her and Milka make out. >>

• Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I'd buy that for a dollar. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3