Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best place to start collecting? Looking for advice.

Hey guys (and gals), I just recently started collecting and I was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding where to start? I was thinking ebay, but i've heard good things about random flea markets/garage sales. Anyone have any nuggets of wisdom?
-Rome is Burning

Comments

• Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    I do most of my Buying off of Ebay, just beware of getting into a bidding war. Set a max price you will pay for a certain card and do not go any higher and you will be fine.

There are still card shows around where I live, but it is mostly the same characters selling Gd/Ex raw cards fro NM-MT prices. Good place to pick up some new stuff and singles of individual players.

J
  • Options
    Ebay can be a great place to buy cards -IF you are an educated buyer. You really have to know what you are doing, but you can pick up almost any card you want there. And if you are patient, you can get it at a good price.
    << image >>
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do most of my Buying off of Ebay, just beware of getting into a bidding war. Set a max price you will pay for a certain card and do not go any higher and you will be fine.

There are still card shows around where I live, but it is mostly the same characters selling Gd/Ex raw cards fro NM-MT prices. Good place to pick up some new stuff and singles of individual players.

J >>

Ditto that!
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I just got back into baseball card collecting a few months ago after 20 years away and I did some low dollar purchases on ebay to get started. I was happy with my purchases, because I bought rack packs and upopened & sealed boxes. I also got very lucky, I happen to have a great store 10 miles away who are awesome. They have an awesome inventory and they have several guys who always answer my questions. Additionally, they have a regular website and an ebay store, so I always have an idea before I get there and know what I'm looking to purchase. In most cases they have selling to me at better prices than advertised. If anyone is in the South Bay area in LA in can throw there name out if you want to check them out.

After reading this board for the last montht or so, I would try and buy from the collectors in this forum and read previous threads in regards to ebay sellers. I have seen lots of funny and weird sales on ebay lately, and can't believe the cards are still being sold at top prices. Many cards lately do not look like they belong in there holders, not to mention all of the different 3rd party graders out there. And raw cards, you better know the seller.

Be careful and don't be afraid to post something on this board if you are not sure before you make a purchase.

Brian
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Look at it as a hobby, not an investment. Cards are toys and you're paying for the enjoyment of looking at them and having them. Later somebody else might pay more for the enjoyment, but they might pay less or nothing.

Buy the card, not the holder.

Buy what you like, not what everybody else says is good/popular/hot.

Don't buy the hottest newest inserts. If you really have to have it, wait a few months for them to go on the back burner and buy them for nothing.

Don't buy ungraded rare vintage on ebay that somebody found in his grandfather's attic and spilled coffee on.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here. Lots of helpful guys.

Don't be afraid to ask for better scans, if the seller won't take the time someone else will.
  • Options

<< <i>Look at it as a hobby, not an investment. Cards are toys and you're paying for the enjoyment of looking at them and having them. Later somebody else might pay more for the enjoyment, but they might pay less or nothing.

Buy the card, not the holder.

Buy what you like, not what everybody else says is good/popular/hot.

Don't buy the hottest newest inserts. If you really have to have it, wait a few months for them to go on the back burner and buy them for nothing.

Don't buy ungraded rare vintage on ebay that somebody found in his grandfather's attic and spilled coffee on.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here. Lots of helpful guys.

Don't be afraid to ask for better scans, if the seller won't take the time someone else will. >>

GREAT ADVICE
  • Options
    Thanks guys super valuable advice.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just recently started collecting and I was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding where to start? >>

Hi T

I think you've received some really good advice.

What are you planning to collect.

My advice - where to start?

Start with a plan - i.e. - "Focus" - totally narrow down what you want to collect and insure it's realistic - that what you want is what you can afford - so after narrowing the field - a focus - establish a "BUDGET" - how much you can afford a month to spend and stick to it.

These are the two main areas new collectors usually get into trouble with and it's always nice to have more experienced people around to help.

So - focus and budget.

Then, where to buy? I don't think there's a better venue than Ebay. That said - if you like getting out? Hit the shops and flea markets and see what's there. I used to do that - but don't have the energy anymore.

Good luck and please ask questions - PM me if you would like - I've made EVERY mistake in the book! image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    Hate to tell you brother... but it's goin' to take YEARS for you to become experienced enough to buy what's right and not lose money over the long term. Most people when they hear "baseball cards" think it's easy. That can't be further from the truth. I made more money faster in the stock market than in sports cards. I got my ass handed to me plenty of times in this "hobby". If over the long haul you are collecting just for the fun of it, then collect to your hearts content. But everyone I know collects and and at some point will sell their cards for a profit (hopefully) and that is also part of the fun. Be very careful and cautious and if you stop having fun..... get out of it. chaz
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    What are you interested in? New cards (2007/08)? Cards from a few years ago? Cards from your childhood? Cards from a long-ago era (anywhere from the late 1800s on)? Cards of a particular team? Cards of a particular player/players? Rookie cards (i.e., first cards ever issued of players)? Hall of Famers? Autographs? Game-used equipment? Programs/yearbooks? Cards that are autographed and/or feature swatches of game-used equipment? Pins/buttons/bobbleheads/other souvenirs?

There is far more out there than anyone could ever hope to collect. You don't have to have a narrow focus, but unless you are a baseball diehard, some things will interest you a lot more than others. Go with what you like (and if you're getting a large volume of stuff, make sure any significant other is at least supportive).

Don't be afraid to ask questions, even ones that you think make you look stupid.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    BlackborderBlackborder Posts: 2,797

<< <i>Hate to tell you brother... but it's goin' to take YEARS for you to become experienced enough to buy what's right and not lose money over the long term. Most people when they hear "baseball cards" think it's easy. That can't be further from the truth. I made more money faster in the stock market than in sports cards. I got my ass handed to me plenty of times in this "hobby". If over the long haul you are collecting just for the fun of it, then collect to your hearts content. But everyone I know collects and and at some point will sell their cards for a profit (hopefully) and that is also part of the fun. Be very careful and cautious and if you stop having fun..... get out of it. chaz >>

Good advice.
  • Options
    I think the B/S/T board is a great place to start. Can always find good deals for lots and 99% of the people selling are well trusted and long standing memebrs of this board. Also, the condition of the cards are usually described more accurately than the ones you find on the bay.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Most important........... Collect what you like, not what someone tells you to collect.

Some collect their favorite team/players, some collect sets, some collect only HOFers, some (like me) collect only cards from scarcer/rarer sets ("type card collecting").

IMO
    Dont buy the slab just because it has a high number, buy the card but use the info on the slab for reassurance.
    Buy cards with nice "eye appeal" for the grade.
    Dont get caught up in the PSA-10 hype..... its only a card in MINT condition that happened to win the lottery and received a 10 when it could have received a 8-9 just as easily. PSA-10 cards are not made of gold or magic cards like the overinflated completely ridiculous prices might reflect. If a card sells for $25 raw NRMT++, but sells for $5000 in a 10, then you know there is some "dumb money" involved.

Go Vintage if you have the interest in the history of the sport........ the older the cards/autographs, the more stable the investment will be in the future. (Vintage = 60-120 years old).

If you buy vintage raw, buy a few commons first to get to know what the authentic cards look/feel like, before going for the Cobbs, Ruths, etc.

(Vintage only) Buy as many books/guides on the subject as you can and read read read..... also look through old posts on good sites like Net54 etc.

Good luck.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got back into baseball card collecting a few months ago after 20 years away and I did some low dollar purchases on ebay to get started. I was happy with my purchases, because I bought rack packs and upopened & sealed boxes. I also got very lucky, I happen to have a great store 10 miles away who are awesome. They have an awesome inventory and they have several guys who always answer my questions. Additionally, they have a regular website and an ebay store, so I always have an idea before I get there and know what I'm looking to purchase. In most cases they have selling to me at better prices than advertised. If anyone is in the South Bay area in LA in can throw there name out if you want to check them out.

After reading this board for the last montht or so, I would try and buy from the collectors in this forum and read previous threads in regards to ebay sellers. I have seen lots of funny and weird sales on ebay lately, and can't believe the cards are still being sold at top prices. Many cards lately do not look like they belong in there holders, not to mention all of the different 3rd party graders out there. And raw cards, you better know the seller.

Be careful and don't be afraid to post something on this board if you are not sure before you make a purchase.

Brian >>

I live in LA, and have yet to find a place better than Frank and Son in City of industry (on Wed and Sat) to buy wax and ExMt vintage. What's the store you're referring to? Please don't say the Dugout.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey guys (and gals), I just recently started collecting and I was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding where to start? I was thinking ebay, but i've heard good things about random flea markets/garage sales. Anyone have any nuggets of wisdom? >>

The first thing you should ALWAYS remember that it is literally impossible to collect one of everything. Thus, you need to figure out first what your speciality will be. The most popular possiblities include collecting your favorite player or team, building a vintage complete set from say, your birth year or the first year you bought packs as a kid. Or you can build complete runs of sets like I do. image

Oh, and NEVER buy a set the year it comes out (except maybe the Topps factory set); give it at least a year or two for the hype to cool down and it will virtually always be much cheaper that way. As for where to buy cards, I personally have no choice but to use Ebay or online dealers as I have no card stores where I live.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey guys (and gals), I just recently started collecting and I was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding where to start? I was thinking ebay, but i've heard good things about random flea markets/garage sales. Anyone have any nuggets of wisdom? >>

The first thing you should ALWAYS remember that it is literally impossible to collect one of everything. Thus, you need to figure out first what your speciality will be. The most popular possiblities include collecting your favorite player or team, building a vintage complete set from say, your birth year or the first year you bought packs as a kid. Or you can build complete runs of sets like I do. image

Oh, and NEVER buy a set the year it comes out (except maybe the Topps factory set); give it at least a year or two for the hype to cool down and it will virtually always be much cheaper that way. As for where to buy cards, I personally have no choice but to use Ebay or online dealers as I have no card stores where I live. >>

Thanks for the great advice everyone I think i'm going to start a Nolan Ryan set...
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great advice everyone I think i'm going to start a Nolan Ryan set...

welcome to the club! I graded a few of the Ryan cards I collected over the years, and have added a few as well! A great place to start might be over in the set registry board, the Nolan Ryan official thread
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the great advice everyone I think i'm going to start a Nolan Ryan set... >>

Great place to start! I have collected quite a few of Ryan's cards, but if you check out this site, you'll see one of the most extensive collections: Donato's Site
    << image >>