Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

FS? Jefferson Nickels Basic Set, Proof (1965-present)

I've just about decided to sell my Jefferson Nickels Basic Set, Proof (1965-present), Richard's New Jeffs. It is ranked 12th and the highest ranked set with no PR70 DCAM nickels. My thought is to sell the 1973 to present nickels, all PR69 DCAM, as a group. Teletrade recently sold a couple of such lots for $450 (plus commission, shipping...) which seemed reasonable in today's market. I would then sell the rest of the coins individually, likely through an auction house. While I've sold a range of coins through various avenues, I've never sold a "set" before so I'd appreciate your thoughts. Is it best to sell it as a whole? Should I sell them all individually? Is this a good compromise? Thanks for your thoughts.

Richard

P.S., There is one minor complexity. I seem to have "misplaced" the 2006 nickel. I have the receipt and the serial number, but I can't find the nickel. I have this vague memory of giving it to my daughter to take to school because they were talking about Jefferson and coins in class, but...

Comments

• Options
    IMO I think you would get less selling them as a whole. If I were you I would sell them individually, if 69DC like you said. You never know, maybe there is someone out there looking for a 1964-date set. All the luck to ya.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Here are my 'thoughts';

1973-Present are pretty common in PR69DCAM.
    You might get more selling each individually, but is it worth the troublem?
    Sell as one & get it over with.

Selling the rest individually makes sense, but set a price & try here first.
    Will an auction house get you more? Maybe, but remember the 'juice' you'll have to pay.

I presonally hate auction house auctions, because I live in CA., and besides the 'juice'/shipping I have to pay, I get hit with taxes too.