Home Sports Talk
Options

Baseball to "experiment" with instant replay for homerun calls

After the debacle of the past week in several games they couldn't ignore this any longer. They will experiment with it in some minor fall league that they run and then institute it for spring training games next year and if successful will most likely start using it as early as next season.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After the debacle of the past week in several games they couldn't ignore this any longer. They will experiment with it in some minor fall league that they run and then institute it for spring training games next year and if successful will most likely start using it as early as next season. >>

seems to me that MLB is ignoring this longer. Enough blown calls every year in the regular season AND playoffs (Cleveland vs. Boston last year, for example). At the latest, Selig should have this in place after the AS Break.
  • Options
    Have the technolgy, why not use it. Never cared for the "human element" argument, get it right.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I just hope they leave it at home run calls and maybe fan interference. On second thought, I don't really care where they draw the line at usage except that if it starts to include balls and strikes I think the game will suffer from EVEN LONGER game lengths.
  • Options

Not if electronic balls and strikes are used. The homeplate umpire becomes dispensable. In fact, no need for umpires anywhere on the field--at all. The technology is there; why not use it? The game will zip along. And replace those managers with computers which can calculate the risks of stealing a base, of pinch-hitting, of removing pitchers. And get rid of that blasted 7th-inning stretch. I'll bet nine innings can be gotten out of the way in 40 minutes.

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Baseball is slow on change, with some guidelines drawn up this should start immediately.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    They ought to use something similar to the NFL....give each manager ONE flag to toss for a "review" per game. Have the play in question reviewed in a minute or less.