Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Matte Proof Lincoln's for the week of 5-21

WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
One more than last week (24). Our first listing for the Summer Fun show was added this week and a scarce 1916 was added by Bowers and Merena.

Another Matte has been listed by Numiscent on Ebay. Again, the past reputation of this seller should raise caution flags. That is all I will say.

As always, if you know of one that is sold on the list or becomes available, just PM me so I can keep the list as accurate as possible. Till next week.

WS

1909 VDB
N/A

1909 PCGS PR 63 RED
Heritage Long Beach closes 5/31
1909 NGC PR 65 RED
1909 PCGS PR 64 RED

1910 PCGS PR 64 R&B
Heritage Summer Fun Auction 6/28
1910 PCGS PR 64 R&B
Ebay # 260240894809 closes 5/22 (sold for 877.91)
1910 NGC PR 64 BRN BIN $1250
EBAY Store # 140222357394
1910 PCGS 65 RED
1910 NGC PR 67 RED $15,000
http://www.indiancent.com/market/newp1.htm

1911 NGC PR 65 RED (Lot 212)
www.bowersandmerena.com
1911 PCGS PR 66 R&B $4000
http://www.bwrarecoins.com/?category=7
1911 PCGS PR 65 R&B $2950
http://www.bwrarecoins.com/?category=7
1911 PCGS PR 65 BRN $2450 gorgeous pink/blue rainbow toning
charmy@coincents.com or (949) 632-0414
1911 PCGS PR 65 BRN $2200
http://www.angeldees.com/home_files/page5.htm

1912 NGC PR 65 BRN Closes 5/27)
www.davidlawrence.com
1912 NGC PR 65 BRN (Lot 212)
www.bowersandmerena.com
1912 NGC PR 65 BRN
1912 PCGS PR 65 BRN $3150
1912 PCGS PF65 BN $2400 Emerald Green Tone
charmy@coincents.com or (949) 632-0414.

1913 NGC PR 65 R&B
Teletrade Closes 6/1
1913 RAW Closes 5/30
Ebay # 190223921513
1913 PR PCGS 65 BRN(PQ) $1,800
1913 PCGS PR 65 BRN $1890 PQ Lustrous Gem
charmy@coincents.com or (949) 632-0414
1913 PR PCGS 66 BRN $3,000

N/A

1915 PCGS PR64RB $2,750
Brian Wagner Rare Coins

1916 NGC PR 67 R&B (Lot 248)
www.bowersandmerena.com
Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Comments

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    THANK you for doing this every week.

Anyone have a NGC or PCGS 1911 in 62-64 brown for a poor MPL collector here?
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numiscent.com has a raw 1912 Matte Proof on his website for sale here.

Again with the grain of salt.
  • Options
    MPLunaticMPLunatic Posts: 617 ✭✭
    pennyannie I have a 1911 ngc 63 brown that I am thinking about selling, I haven't decided yet but I will let you know if I do.
  • Options
    That 1912 that Numiscent has listed was pulled from the list before for the same cautionary reason. I was not going to list the guy at all, but feel he should be acknowledged with caution for ANY thing he sells.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Can I get a group consensus on the Eagle Eye 1910 NGC PR67RD? I'm not really afraid of the price provided it either has a shot at crossing or will one day soon enjoy PCGS plastic at equivalent value.

I'm just thinking about starting a set of Mattes, and that ons looks like a real doozie.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'll tell ya, I sure don't see much wrong with it. I would say it looks good enough to cross, but with the graders of both side of the street, there is no guarantee. It is a beauty and Rick Snow is definitely "a go to guy".
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

<< <i>Can I get a group consensus on the Eagle Eye 1910 NGC PR67RD? I'm not really afraid of the price provided it either has a shot at crossing or will one day soon enjoy PCGS plastic at equivalent value.

I'm just thinking about starting a set of Mattes, and that ons looks like a real doozie. >>

Give Rick a call brother, and ask him what he thinks. He's a good guy.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NGC PR67RD is a nice coin. It will certainly go 66RD at PCGS, but I think it has less than 10% chance of ever going 67RD there. The obverse is clearly 67 material, but the reverse is not. I've viewed this coin in hand, so I'm not just working on pictures.
    Doug
  • Options
    And thus you can understand my concern about buying an $8000 coin for $15000. Still, the pictures of that coin are astonishing.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick is a straight up guy. He may send to you on approval.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a nice coin...but we hashed over the price and markup on a previous post.

NGC cross to PCGS on this, *Thats* your gamble if you play the game.

Personally Id be going for a more scarce date, such as a 15 or 16 at this point. 1910 is the most common date (If indeed common is a word you can use here)

Mark My Words.....1916's are going to take off like a rocket ship^^^^^ with the current mintage accepted at 600.....and only a fraction of that still around...not enough supply for a growing demand.

• Options
    Just added

1913 NGC PR 65 R&B
    Teletrade Closes 6/1

WS
  • Options
    I would buy a 1915 or 1916 first, the rest is a walk in the park. LOL
    Mark

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    A 1915 MPL has popped up on ebay. Item number 220238571597 in a NGC PF65 RED holder. Opening bid is $2500. Seller has 0 feedback and has a few other high grade proofs from 1915 listed. MPL looks nice but has a few spots on the reverse.

Coin collector looking for money to borrow at sub prime and 20 year payback, pm me.image
    Mark

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    2keele2keele Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Important 1909 VDB Cent
    PR66 Red and Brown

1909 1C VDB PR66 Red and Brown NGC. Dramatic cherry-red, olive-green, orange, and violet embrace the obverse, while ocean-blue and sun-gold endow the reverse. The strike is razor-sharp, as is expected of the elusive matte proofs. The obverse is completely void of the flyspecks that are so often seen on proof cents.
    As a single-year proof subtype, the 1909 VDB belongs in any advanced proof type collection. Since only 1,194 proofs were struck, remaining examples are insufficient to meet demand, particularly if the collector holds out for a nearly carbon-free specimen. Census: 4 in 66 Red and Brown, 2 finer (5/08).

28 June 2008 comming soon auction Heritage Auctions
    Drew (2keele) #9 MPL Set
    Edrew
  • Options
    1909 1C VDB NGC PR66RB in Heritage June West Palm Beach Auction
    I don't know about this coin, I think it will have major issues crossing over to PCGS holder in 66, most likely, will become a PR65RB. I know the Heritage images of copper coins are notoriously bad; this coin just doesn't look natural. Curious to see what others think? Also, will ask one of the Numismatists I know at Heritage to pull the coin and send me his comments. I have always respected his honest feedback and have used his and most definitely Brian Wagner, BWRC, assessment and evaluation of MPL's in auction, before making decision to bid.
    Jonathan
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    My opinion regarding this NGC slabbed 1909VDB Matte proof Lincoln cent.

While grade and third party grader is important when determining value of MPL's, I believe that any time a 1909VDB Matte comes to market, other factors are also in play. #1 is the fact that any collector who wants a complete set of MPL's MUST at sometime aquire this piece. Unfortunately, there are VERY few of this variety that come to market. So I believe a potential buyer will accept a lower grade via a crossover just to get the coin. How much that person will be willing to pay is still a matter of supply and demand. IMHO, this coin will achieve a nice price at the auction regardless of its grade and its less than special appearance. I guess we will see how the bidding goes next month as it is always fun to watch this coin at auction. Good luck to anyone here who may choose to go after it. Over time, there is no doubt in my mind that the cost to aquire this variety WILL continue to rise. Steveimage
  • Options
    Steve:
    Agree with you on all points, sorry if it appeared I was dismissing this coin, just wanted to stress the importance of "Caveat Emptor", let the buyer beware! Heck, I may be liking this coin more and more as the auction approaches. My 1910 PR64RD, was once in an ANACS holder, so I am no stranger to crossover.
    Regards,
    Jonathan
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That VDB is nice...

• Options

Brothers, is there a photo of this VDB somewhere?
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the link although the image isn't the best.

Link
  • Options

Thanks Bob.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i find it interesting on that image as the diagnostics aren't really visible except you can barely make out polish lines by his nose.the rims truly stand out but.

some registry images they are blazing while some make me wonder.

take for instance...look at ambro's 1909....look at the "L" of liberty(the bottom leg of his L looks funny)....then look at curlys 1909...the "L" is way different(sharp-chiseled and square)...then look at the close to perfect set #6 and if you laid it next to curlys...they'd be a black n white difference as #6 looks like a brillant proof next to curly's matte-pebbled surfaces

as much as i try n try to study images of these to cherry a raw 09...i get so lost...but i never lose hope

just wondering if anyone else really compares registry images like me

quite an offering on this 09 vdb upcoming just a shame i'm on tha poor side of life even now wondering if i'll pull off buying the 16'...shame i cry...crying shame

hopefully someone chimes in on comparing ambro's-curlys and close to perfect's set as they see what i speak of so i know it's not just me behind this puter
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Ted- An intervention is on the horizon for youimage I will be care taker to your coins while you complete rehab. I have heard the only draw back to rehab is you come out collecting Modern crap.lol I look at the pics to, i CAN MAKE myself see things that really are not there.
    Mark

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    mark,

tha modern crap has infected me already...if you only knew...any guess what i'd end up paying for a 1965 sms ms66cam if one of the 5 made pop up???

but did you look at those 3 different 09's i spoke of???
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Ted- I looked at 2. I do not consider SMS modern, the modern era to me is 1982 foreward.
    Mark

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>One more than last week (24). Our first listing for the Summer Fun show was added this week and a scarce 1916 was added by Bowers and Merena.

Another Matte has been listed by Numiscent on Ebay. Again, the past reputation of this seller should raise caution flags. That is all I will say.

As always, if you know of one that is sold on the list or becomes available, just PM me so I can keep the list as accurate as possible. Till next week.

WS >>

1912 NGC PR 65 BRN Closes 5/27)
    www.davidlawrence.com

I'm the new owner of this coin: image

• Options

Congratulations LeeG.