Home PSA Set Registry Forum

9s and 10s

This is not news, but I wanted to bring to re-state that PSA quite often will misgrade cards...and they will under grade cards more often than they over grade cards, espcially for vintage cards. This is due primarily to 2 things...1)graders do get paid by the card, and it takes much longer to look to see if a card can go 9 or 10...and if the card is a common, they can be sent through as an 8 pretty easily (higher $$ cards are looked at much more closely). 2) Graders get into trouble very quickly for overgrading a card, but not for undergrading one.

Don't assume the cards you have in you set are graded properly. When I was there, I'd say 95% of the 10s given out on cards before 1980 were done so by changing 9s that came in on review. They don't advertise reviews any more, but they still do them. If you've got some clean 8s and you don't know why they are not 9s, send them in for review (don't crack them out). The same with 9s...if you've got some that are dialed in with with respect to centering, the corners are perfect (front and back, and the picture is clean....send it in on review. Watch out for light PD though...thats by far the fault most people fail to see.

Doc

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Very thought provoking, thank you, Doc.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Yeah unfortunately what made me think of posting it was a lousy order I just got back from PSA...UGH!