Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What's your opinion on my graded autographed 1989 Perez-Steele Celebration Roy Campenella postcard?

Hi Guys, I just noticed that an autographed 1989 Perez-Steele Celebration Roy Campanella postcard just sold on for $722.97 on Ebay tonight. It was slabbed by PSA/DNA. I currently own a Roy Campanella like this one in my set that has had the autograph graded a PSA/DNA 9 MINT. If a ungrade slabbed one is worth over $720 on Ebay, what do you guys think my PSA/DNA 9 might be worth? My scanner does not do it justice. I'm not selling it at this time but I was curious what some of you guys thought. Neil

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Neil-

My personal opinion is that the more the value is due to the scarcity of the underlying signature (in the specified format), the less the value will be derived from numerical grade assignments within the same band (e.g. 8-10, 5-7, etc.). Much like two of the Perez-Steele issues featuring Richie Ashburn....those go for significant premiums because of the very limited lifespan that Richie had post-issuance by which to sign and autograph them.....in that situation, I think it is the scarcity that drives the value, and that very little premium would be paid between an 8, 9 and 10. Campanella's scarcity is due more to his disabling condition for 40+ years, and the machine that helped him sign autographs. I don't think your 9 would be more more than $800 - $900.

Just my $0.02
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    NeilDowneyNeilDowney Posts: 840 ✭✭
    Hi mikeschmidt, Thanks for your input. I have seen some really nasty looking Campy autographs which is the reason I value grading so much. The Campy are shaky as it is. But a smeared or faded one looks really bad. The one that just sold and mine are the best ones that I ever saw on a Celebration postcard. I went after this one too but two other bidders saved me from myself and outbid me. Perhaps a PSA/DNA 10 one does not exist. However, a PSA/DNA 9 does and I'm the lucky guy who owns it. Neil
  • Options
    Neil, very nice card my guess would be 12 to 15 hundred for your PSA 9 Campy. JMO