Home PSA Set Registry Forum

OUCH!!!!

John Branca added a PSA 9 Mantle to his 51 Bowman set. Now we know the reason why he didn't list the PSA 8 from the "Kansas City Find" lot he won on Mastro. This has got to be a $250,000 to $300,000 set now!

Branca's 51 Bowman Set

Comments

• FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Give him a call! He's probably using the PSA 8 Mantle as a drink coaster or something. Offer him $50 and see what he says! image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • With the Mantle card being weighted at 10 and the Mays at 9 ... and with Branca now having a PSA 9 of BOTH cards (wow!) ...

I think he will move up to #1 in due time.

Vargha: Have you offered him your PCL cards for the Mantle in a trade? image
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Hal:

From an outsider's perspective, I think that John may only be able to hunt for a Number 2 ranking on this set registry. He certainly has enjoy a quick rise to the top, but it would be terribly hard for him to unseat Merkle. Without doing any analysis, I would almost say that it would be impossible to even challenge Merkle unless Vargha and Fogel broke up their sets.

There are something like 160 - 190 unique cards in the 324 card set that exist in PSA 9 condition. Merkle has something like over 100 unique PSA 9's in his set. He only has Mantle and Mays in PSA 8, but his run of PSA 9 commons is extraordinary.

So, unless Vargha and Fogel's 9's were to make it to Branca, he will have to settle for No. 2, at best!

And then there are always the <jerks?> like me who have, I think, two PSA 9 1/1 1951 Bowman cards that are for sale for $2,500 each. Otherwise, they will stay in my nice little collection for a long time!

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • As long as Branca doesn't bring those bad boys over to the HOF set ... image