Home Sports Talk
Options

pistons vs celtics who will win and why?

1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
i am ready i think detroit has been waiting for this matchup and i believe they will take it in 6 go pistons...image

Comments

• Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    The Celts have been sloppy, sloppier than I would have imagined.

Ray Allen career, 21 points a game, he's almost been a nonfactor. And KG only 13 today, 5 for 13 shooting. Is that what you expect in a game 7? Although Pierce put on a great show and won it for them. And the Pistons playoff/championship experience will come out. They aren't going to make the little mistakes the hawks and cavs made.

Should be a great series, Celts in 7, although alot of close games. Probably an OT game or two. But the Celts are going to have to game up.
  • Options
    I would guess Pistons in 6 or 7. Think the Celtics are getting tired having played too many game 7's. Should be fun to watch.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
    wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
    going to feel all day. "
    ~Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    i think it will also be a close series as the pistons win it in 6 we will see it should be fun i think the experience will make the difference in this series..
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the Celts win but their awful road play and inconsistency will bring them down.

Detroit in 6
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    celtics in 7 in a great series
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Detroit almost always goes as Rasheed does. If he comes to play for more than 1 quarter, they're almost unbeatable. But he usually likes to put up 10-15 pts, 5 rebs and a block in the first, only to add 2 more pts, 2 rebs and a technical for the next three quarters. Hopefully it's a good series and I'd certainly like a Pistons win, but lately it seems they just can't get over the hump and seem content with the conference finals.
  • Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    The Pistons "should" win the series in 6 games. You just never know with them, they always make it interesting or frustrating depending on how you look at it..
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Celtics will win. Why? Well, I have the most full-proof, guaranteed, automatically, virtually assured reason why.

And that is because I want the Pistons to win. When it comes to the NBA, the team that I WANT TO WIN ends up losing about 99.9999999999999999% of the time. The one exception being ... wait, I can't think of any.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    It's obvious who I'm rooting for, but the Celts have been really sloppy and inconsistent, especially on the road (duh!).
    I think Detroit will take it in 7.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Here's a prediction... I like the Celtics in 5. I like them at home and I think they get game 4 in DET and close them out in 5. I just think it's a bad matchup for DET. Boston's bench is better and KG owns Sheed. I think Perkins and Rondo play pivitol roles in the series. Perkins will have a bunch of rebounds and Rondo will average 13-15 pts in the series. He's much quicker than Billups/Rip. I like some of the matchups for the C's. Posey and Pierce will do a nice job on Hamilton and I think you'll see Billups having to take a lot of outside shots because Rondo is quicker. Leon Powe will play a bunch because he's a better matchup on Prince/Sheed than PJ Brown...those are my thoughts.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I know myself and commissioner Stern would love to see a Lakers/Celtics final, but I think it will be a boring Pistons/Spurs matchup.
  • Options
    I see the Celtics taking it... probably in 7 though as they have played poorly on the road to date in the playoffs. I have to admit though, I don't know how much more NBA I'll be able to watch without having a heart attack. I really stopped watching in the early 90's because the reffing was just so freaking horrible! No consistancy at all, not enforcing rules that are clearly defined in the rule book, superstars getting obvious heavy special treatment, ridiculous home court slant, etc, etc. From what I've seen over the past 2-3 weeks, it certainly hasn't improved. Watching some of the travesties in the last 2 games alone were enough to drive a sane man to drink! Watching these idiot players take a fake flop when they weren't even touched is bad enough, but then they draw the foul on top of it? It is just really sick to see the major lack of consistancy with calls. Heck, if the couple of refs on the court simply can't see the plays correctly, then why not start adding refs until they have enough to get it right at least 90% of the time? I know a lot of people swear by the NBA and couldnt do without it. However, I for one find it unwatchable due to the horrible reffing. I'll see if I can watch it to the end this year, but I may have to start drinking to get there, lol!
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I like about the NBA post season is that the players finally get motivated to play tough defense. Much, much better defense than what is played in the regular season.

The improved defense then makes it more difficult for teams to play offense. Teams that do not play team offense (with constant movement of all 5 players and constant passing of the ball or drives to the hoop to force the defense to react allowing an offensive player to become open) end up not lasting long in the playoffs. These types of teams may have one superstar (i.e. LeBron James) who can score alot, but watching a superstar go 1 on 5 while his teamates stand around and watch is boring.

A well executed team offense (ala San Antonio over the past 10 years; and the Lakers this year) plus tough team defense wins championships.

What I would be in favor of (and which IMHO will happen some day) is to have the NBA change the rules and increase the size of the court [length and width] and increase the basket from 10' to 11' above the floor.

This would help open up the game by requiring the players [who get ever taller, stronger, faster and quicker] to cover more ground. This hopefully would result in less of the "wrestling match" type play under the basket. I would also like to see the league mandate that the referees call traveling more often [how many times do you see a player dribble the ball and then take 2 or 3 or more steps after picking up their dribble before they shoot]. Finally I would like to see the league change the rules in some manner that prevents games to take so long to finish the last couple of minutes (15 minutes of clock time to play the last 90 seconds of a game [i.e. limiting the number of timeouts that can be called in the last 1 or 2 minutes of the first half and of the second half regardless of how many times outs you have left; and/or penalizing teams who intentionally foul to stop the clock by allowing the fouled team to shoot free throws and keep possession of the ball].

I think increasing the size of the court and the other things mentioned above would go a long way to making the NBA a more entertaining and exciting game to watch.

The NBA one on five street ball style and the wrestling match style of defense lacks appeal. It is fun to watch preseason NBA games where an NBA team goes overseas and plays an international team who are maybe not as athletic as some NBA superstars are, but who play team basketball together at the highest level. The comparison of the two styles of play is revealing and the team play concept would be one that the NBA clubs should copy.
  • Options
    well its 1 to 1 now and boy did the pistons bench out play bostons bench...now boston has to win on the road..this should still be a great series..go pistonsimage
  • Options
    boston very nice win here in detroit...now there up 2 to 1 ..i still think this will be close
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Celtics will win. Why? Well, I have the most full-proof, guaranteed, automatically, virtually assured reason why.

And that is because I want the Pistons to win. When it comes to the NBA, the team that I WANT TO WIN ends up losing about 99.9999999999999999% of the time. The one exception being ... wait, I can't think of any. >>

I SOOOO wanted Detroit to win. Which meant that it was a 99.9999999999999% probability that Boston was going to win. And now they have. image

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    YYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    just what the NBA needs. Celtics/Lakers... Kobe/Garnett & Pierce.

The Celts/detroit series was the first NBA basketball i watched in several years.

The two best teams in basketball are playing for the title. You cant ask for better.
  • Options
    This should be fun to watch, Go Celticsimage
    Collector of 71 Kelloggs Football and Unitas cards.
  • Options
    congrats to the celtics now the pistons can get rid of flip saunders thank god.....image