Home Sports Talk
Options

espn classic

ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
just caught a glimpse of some awesome world series:

71 - saw clemente jack one

75 - saw fisk in game six hit the famous shot over the green monster

i was in awe at watching some of the famous names in their prime that i never got to see when i was young. my son had never heard of these players....old school clemente, stargell, rose, bench, fisk.

no advertisements on the backstop , old school graphics, turf looked like they had just had a bull run on it...lol

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• Options
    I watched it too. The Pittsburgh and Baltimore series didn't have great hitters, but very good pitchers.

It was interesting to see the A's bring in Catfish Hunter in relief in game 1 in LA.

The Bernie Carbo at bat was good in that he fouled off a lot of pitches.

That was some great viewing.
  • Options

<< <i>The Pittsburgh and Baltimore series didn't have great hitters, >>

How about Brooks and Frank Robinson and two guys named Clemente and Stargell.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    This afternoon they showed Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game.
    Some pretty good stuff the last few days.
  • Options

<< <i>

How about Brooks and Frank Robinson and two guys named Clemente and Stargell. >>

3 of those 4 were very good, and Boog Powell was very good too. But as I was watching all the players,
    collectively they were not great hitters like you have today. Merv Rettmend, the centerfielder for the O's had
    some nice numbers that year. However, not too many .300+ hitters back then. Even Brooks was a sub .300 hitter.

You look at the Yankees and Red Sox today, and don't take into consideration that not all teams had hitters like this
    years ago.