Say hello to the last place Yankees

Hola
goedendag
bonjour
aloha
shalom
ciào
konnichi wa

Just many informal ways we will be greeting the Yanks for the remainder of the season.

Sincerely,
Non-Yankee fans

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Its Torre's fault
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hank still feels the key to the title is Joba as a starter image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭
    Man, I guess we deserve the smack talking after all these years of being so dominat. But hey, enjoy it while it last Yankee hatersimage Just remember how things looked for us @ this time last year (bad) and we still made the playoffs. Also, another thing to consider is that yeah we are last but it's only 4 1/2 games back, it's not like we're buried in the cellar.

Anyways, I'll see where we sit at the All-Star break before I start cryin' in my beer.image
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    We're not done dammit! The kitchen sink of problems has been thrown at us, and we're one streak away from 1st place I tell ya!!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep, I figure when Arod and Posada are healthy again, the NYY will be back in the hunt.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    That was a nice performance by Kaz. Glad we locked him up through 2012, bout damn time we spent some money. I LOVE these new owners. First we lock up Pena, then Longoria, now KAz. Next up is Crawford. Finally spending some money!

6 IP, 3 H, 0 R
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who woulda thunk it?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    goedendag

Appears like you need to brush up on your German. (if that is what that was)

Hello in German is 'Hallo'

Good day (which it appears you have tried to say) is 'Guter Tag'

Edited to add: lol thinking that maybe 'goedendag was a Scandanavian <sp> way of saying 'Hello'

I googled it and lo and behold it is a Flemish word. It is not 'hello' but a club like weapon that looks

like a baseball bat!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    so what does Joba do with his fist when he isn't in there winning ball games?

Somewhere Joe Torre has a massive grin on!

js
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>goedendag

Appears like you need to brush up on your German. (if that is what that was)

Hello in German is 'Hallo'

Good day (which it appears you have tried to say) is 'Guter Tag'

Edited to add: lol thinking that maybe 'goedendag was a Scandanavian <sp> way of saying 'Hello'

I googled it and lo and behold it is a Flemish word. It is not 'hello' but a club like weapon that looks

like a baseball bat!

Steve >>

I believe it's either 'guten tag', or 'ein guter tag'. I've never heard simply 'guter tag', although my German is sau schlecht
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guten Tag is standard. I vaguely recall that from my three years of German school as a kid. Auf Wiedersehen.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    All I know is that is sure as hell ain't goedendag.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Ein guter tag.

Simply means ............'A good day'

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    goedendag is used by the Dutch. It means good day.

• Options
    Close..........and I stand corrected.

goede dag

I found it funny theat in Flemish it meant a club like weapon that looks like a bat!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Good morning Derek, Jorge, Arod, Mo, Joba, Girardi, and of course Hank image

How's everything going in Yankeeland today image
  • Options
    Dice-K wanted to say konnichi wa image
    He's 7-0 with an era in the low 2's.

Johann says hola too image

These two guys are so happy Hank didn't sign them.
  • Options
    The reason is obvious - too many mercenary type players who care about their paycheck more than winning. The talent is there but the desire to win isn't there, unless some manager can somehow get them focused on winning.

"Everyone" already knows and understands how important teamwork is to winning in the NFL. Talented football players who don't have a desire to win, are basically cut from the NFL - they don't last long. Yes, in baseball of course the game is different, but I believe the value of teamwork is underestimated by certain MLB owners when signing high salaried players.
  • Options
    The reason is obvious - too many mercenary type players who care about their paycheck more than winning.

You can't be serious. All pro players want to win, hell ALL Rec league players want to win.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Long season, long way to go.

Capecards
  • Options
    It is a long season but the funny thing is Im starting to feel there is more of a threat from the Rays than the Yanks!
  • Options
    Buenos dias amigos.
    Yo creo que los Yankees de Nueva York es mas terrible.

Mucho Amore,
    Johann Santana
  • Options
    Are you guys still in last place ?
    C'mon, it's almost June already.
    What gives ?
  • Options
    The Seattle Marinateds stink

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    We're still saying hello to you last place Yankees. You're only .5 game out of last place and .5 game
    below the .500 mark. Congrats on beating up on those Mariners. I'm sure "you know who" is not very happy.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a Yankee fan, but I would think they will be in the thick of things in Sept.
  • Options

<< <i>We're still saying hello to you last place Yankees. You're only .5 game out of last place and .5 game
    below the .500 mark. Congrats on beating up on those Mariners. I'm sure "you know who" is not very happy. >>

Mets also below .500 - might be a NY conspiracy going on here.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>We're still saying hello to you last place Yankees. You're only .5 game out of last place and .5 game
    below the .500 mark. Congrats on beating up on those Mariners. I'm sure "you know who" is not very happy. >>

Mets also below .500 - might be a NY conspiracy going on here. >>

Nah, both teams are overated thats all.
  • Options
    C'mon boys, learn to handle a little prosperity ! You finally made it to .500, and then
    you let those orange birds give you a beatin'.

Anyway, back to under .500 baseball once again. Shame, shame, shame image
  • Options

<< <i>The reason is obvious - too many mercenary type players who care about their paycheck more than winning.

You can't be serious. All pro players want to win, hell ALL Rec league players want to win.

Steve >>

<<< You can't be serious. All pro players want to win, hell ALL Rec league players want to win. >>>

Of course they "want to" win - the key is do they continue to do the hard work necessary to win at the MLB level? Comparing MLB players with rec league players as far as wanting to win...is just plain silly.

Some players sign a fat contract that makes them rich for life, and suddenly "extra batting practice" may not interest them, suddenly they may hear the coaches but not care to really do what they say, suddenly spending many boring nights in hotel rooms gets to them and they start participating in other activities such as drinking and gallovanting in nightclubs, affecting their sports performances.

The key to success in signing these high priced players is not to sign "mercenary" types who only go through the motions, but to sign players that will continue to want to improve, and enjoy putting in the extra work and effort needed for a winning team at this level.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The reason is obvious - too many mercenary type players who care about their paycheck more than winning.

Steve >>

<<< You can't be serious. All pro players want to win, hell ALL Rec league players want to win. >>>

Of course they "want to" win - the key is do they continue to do the hard work necessary to win at the MLB level? Comparing MLB players with rec league players as far as wanting to win...is just plain silly.

Some players sign a fat contract that makes them rich for life, and suddenly "extra batting practice" may not interest them, suddenly they may hear the coaches but not care to really do what they say, suddenly spending many boring nights in hotel rooms gets to them and they start participating in other activities such as drinking and gallovanting in nightclubs, affecting their sports performances.

The key to success in signing these high priced players is not to sign "mercenary" types who only go through the motions, but to sign players that will continue to want to improve, and enjoy putting in the extra work and effort needed for a winning team at this level. >>

Every player that doesnt play for his home town team could be considered a merenary. It doesnt have to do with how much money they make, but how much the culture of the clubhouse embraces the practice and work that teams need to do to win. They do not go hand in hand, many rich players get rich by playing hard day in and day out, and continue that for their careers. Most are not going to stop working hard because they are making 8 figures a year instead of 7, they are already rich.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    <<< The key to success in signing these high priced players is not to sign "mercenary" types who only go through the motions, but to sign players that will continue to want to improve, and enjoy putting in the extra work and effort needed for a winning team at this level. >>>

And of course this isn't always easy to do - it takes hard work behind the scenes even of players who have an established track record of sorts. An extensive background check of these players personal lives I would think should be mandatory if I was gonna sign some player to a super large contract. And also of course a number of interviews as well, and asking the "right" questions.

Some people are just good at doing it - for example Buddy Ryan was in my opinion one of the best ever at talking to college football players and just "knowing" that they would be good football players in the NFL. His track record of finding star players in the middle rounds of the NFL draft was remarkable.

Then you have the reverse of some lazy GM's just looking at player's stats, and wanting to sign them without doing the legwork needed on their background, and not really analyzing thoroughly whether or not a player is a good fit for a particular team. In my opinion the Yankeees and the Mets are good examples of this. Whereby the Red Sox are a good example of how to sign high priced players the right way.
  • Options
    Good morning everyone. Will they still be in last place come June 1st image

Are they really this badimage
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Me thinks some should focus more on their team rather than trashing others...

/$0.02
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

Steve >>

I agree. I think the Yankees want to win just as much as the next team does. Even though these guys make big money, there
    are nice monetary incentives towards winning, along with having your name go down in history. And for all the team players out there,
    there are still players who would love to be world series MVP.
  • Options

<< <i>

The key to success in signing these high priced players is not to sign "mercenary" types who only go through the motions, but to sign players that will continue to want to improve, and enjoy putting in the extra work and effort needed for a winning team at this level. >>

I can see this point too, but I wouldn't think that these guys aren't working hard to keep their spots/salaries. I think they have a little fear of not performing well, therefore an incentive to play better and better.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not a Yankee fan, but I would think they will be in the thick of things in Sept. >>

While I can see where you're coming from because the Yankees are the Yankees, I just don't think they have the pitching
    this year to do what they did last year.

They had a terrible first half last year, but got very healthy in the pitching department in the 2nd half. I don't see
    that happening again this year. But we'll see .
  • Options
    What do ya' say boys.....back to the ol' basement tonight ?
    You're a half game ahead of Baltimore. Is it back to the cellar after tonight's games ? We shall see.

It's June 3rd and you're south of Boston, geographically and in the standingsimage
  • Options
    Geez where were you for almost 80+ years. It is typical though.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Why can't this thread just go away already ???

Well, because the Yankees are back in last place, that's why.

It's June 7th, and the Yankees have these three things going for them.......

1. Worst Record in the AL East
    2. Most runs given up in the AL East
    3. Worst home record in the AL East
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are only 6.5 games behind, and fully capable of making a run. Red Sox fans know to NEVER count the Yanks out until they are mathematically eliminated.
  • Options

<< <i>They are only 6.5 games behind, and fully capable of making a run. Red Sox fans know to NEVER count the Yanks out until they are mathematically eliminated. >>

7 out now and tied for last place once again. Matsui, Damon, Posada, Giambi, Pettite and Jeter are showing signs of wear. Not enough young studs to fill the void. Last place is a possibility. A slim one, but still a possibility.
  • Options

<< <i>Why can't this thread just go away already ??? >>

Because you're a tool?
  • Options

<< <i>

Steve >>

I agree. I think the Yankees want to win just as much as the next team does. Even though these guys make big money, there
    are nice monetary incentives towards winning, along with having your name go down in history. And for all the team players out there,
    there are still players who would love to be world series MVP. >>

<<< I think the Yankees want to win just as much as the next team does. >>>

Well sure they "want to win" but doing the work necessary to win is another matter. Yes, they want to win, but I feel certain players get to the point where they are so rich, that they really don't care if they win or not, and they go through the motions just enough so they they don't violate their performance contract and continue to collect a check...IE: they are like mercenaries. So yes they want to win, but in my opinion they don't have a desire to win...and too many players like that on a team makes them losers, and the Yankeees and Mets have been prime examples of that recently.

How to "solve the problem"? That's where a good manager comes in to kick their butts, so to speak, in some manner, to get them to perform.
  • Options
    Whats the story with Giambi? I thought he was all washed up until he started crushing HR's...