Home Metal Detecting
Options

Ground balancing problems at the beach

I went to the beach the other week and took along my DFX. I had a bigfoot coil on it and thought for sure I would have a good run with it. I walked out onto the beach and turned on the detector and proceeded to put it in jewelery/beach mode. I went to ground balance and the air balance was fine but when I tried to put it on the ground to balance it wouldn't balance(I put the bigfoot at a 45 degree angle like I do on regualr land). I then tried laying the bigfoot flat on the ground and still no balance. I used it for awhile without it balancing properly and noticed that it was extremely erratic so I went back and put on my 9.5 coil. I thought that it was something with the bigfoot. I went back to the beach and I'll be daggumed if the 9.5 wouldn't balance either. Maybe I am missing something, not doing something right, or something....who knows... I hope someone does!! Any suggestions about this? Thanks in advance!
Todd

Comments

• Options
    <DIV>Is the "Pinpoint" trigger in the middle position?

Set PAG at 2 and see if it works.

Jerry</DIV>
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I hit the SAME beach 4 or 5 times last week. One day I too had "erratic" signals.
    I wonder if a boat coming out of the harbor had a radar unit that was causing the problem?

I use the BigFOOT coil 90% of the time.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    It would ground balance up off the beach in the grass but when I hit the sand, no balance... Not even the 9.5 coil. No boats around that I could see. I was able to ground balance the 9.5 up in the grass and then walk back to the beach to find some stuff but I just thought it was weird.
    Todd
  • Options
    Sounds like the good old salt water interference. The salt in the beach sand is a lot more as you get closer to the water, naturally..My Garrett has a salt water elimination mode, is there something like that on yours?
  • Options
    On the DFX, I just Air & Ground balance. I can work from the dry sand right down to and into salt water.
    I work an area next to a Navy base and two harbors. I don't get much interference...most of the time.

I don't change programs. I use the same settings for turf, dirt and sand. I may bump up the PAG/sensitivity.
    It goes from 1 to 4. And I have been running 4 this week on the damp/wet sand.

Good Luck

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    So you don't use the Jewelery/beach prog? What preset prog would you suggest. I usually use the Deep Diving Silver Prog on there for my normal searching.
    Todd
  • Options
    Todd, I sent you a PM

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage