Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Monnier 1866 Colorado Mining Medal

Hi,
Looking for information on estimated mintage, rarity, value and any history on a Colorado Mining medal issued while Colorado was still a territory. Statehood was 1876 I believe.

obverse legend: MONNIER METALLURGIC TREATMENT OF SULPHURRETS
reverse legend: THE MONNIER METALLURGICAL COMPANY OF COLORADO|STRUCK FROM THE FIRST COPPER PRODUCED PRODUCED IN COLORADO 1866
Size is about 64mm.
Sorry no pics are available at this time.

The only information I am able to find is that the ANS has one in their permanent collection (1984.97.42).
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Comments

• Options
    notenovice - I presume you mean the medal shown below (a quick scan). I don't know anything about it but here is another example. I doubt if it was produced during territorial period.

imageimage
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a US Mint medal. A couple of them were in one of the last few Ford sales (and sold at prices MUCH higher than similar medals had sold for previously).
  • Options
    Jonathanb - thank you. What did they bring in Ford? I was thinking more ebay fodder. Was any date ascribed to their manufacture?
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julian CM-34. Struck in 1868. Number struck is unknown "due to defective mint records", per Julian. Julian cites an 1869 auction record saying 50 struck.

Earlier auction records were in the $300-500 range, but the Ford specimens sold for about $3,000 each. I would not expect eBay prices to come anywhere near the prices in the Ford sales.
  • Options
    Jonathamb - Thanks for the additional info.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Hi,
    I just checked my PM and noticed the response to this...
    I can't believe these have gone for as much as $3K...WOW!
    I just picked one up this summer for only $100.
    Thanks for info...
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:
    Julian CM-34. Struck in 1868. Number struck is unknown "due to defective mint records", per Julian. Julian cites an 1869 auction record saying 50 struck.

Earlier auction records were in the $300-500 range, but the Ford specimens sold for about $3,000 each. I would not expect eBay prices to come anywhere near the prices in the Ford sales.

OLD THREAD ALERT.

My recent Colorado Springs Coin Show report documents one of these medals (with unusual edge engraving) that was in the Ford sale. See thread here: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1021714/

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2019 7:01PM

notenovice - This letter might help a little. It's only been waiting for 11 years. :)

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting that 375 leftovers were probably destroyed. The question remains - how many were actually released ?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Melt 'em, Danno!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2019 6:59AM

This excerpt from "The Mines of Colorado" by Ovando J. Hollister (1867) might provide some clues. (Philadelphia Gold Mining Company, bottom left.)

If the US Mint letter and the medal's assertions about origin of copper are correct, then the company would have sent pure copper to the US Mint. The Mint would have executed the order and possibly supplied a few test pieces in advance for approval. If the remaining medals were not paid for and later melted, then only the trial or test medals would have remained.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2019 7:21AM

An ACT - TO INCORPORATE THE MONNIER METALLURGICAL COMPANY OP COLORADO,
    Be it enacted by the Council and House of Representatives of Colorado Territory:
    Section 1. That W. H. Stevens, W. B. Hazeltine, C. H. Clark, William B. White, and their associates, be and are hereby created a body politic by the name, style and title of the "Monnier Metallurgical Company of Colorado,” January 11, 1867.

Also see the TAMS Journal, October 1980, Page 175, "The Monnier Medal Story" by Jim Wright & Bob Gardner.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file