Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1998 Close AM Proof Lincoln

Does anyone have an idea what this error is worth or how rare it is? I would welcome your insights due to recent discovery.

Comments

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    PCGS PR69DCAM: $4,000 is current ambitious price. $3,000 is currently a good deal.

• Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    how about value for 67dc or 68dc?
  • Options
    I'm really not sure but would guess 50% & 25% less repectively would be a good ballpark.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1998 is much rarer than the 1999. PCGS has only graded 11 of them (1 Cam in 67, 2 DCAM in 68, 8 DCAM in 69), as opposed to 201 1999s.

NGC's only graded 3 1998s, and 145 1999s.

If you found a 1998, that's pretty neat!

I'd say $4000 for sure for a 1988-S 69 DCAM.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Will someone explain to me why it is not worth more than a 1990 no s lincoln? Is it that we don't really know how many there are and we have a better number for the 1990 lincoln? is the 1990 a more dramatic error? It seems to me there are only about 15 of these known and well over 100 1990 and they seem to sell for $10-$15 in 69dc.

I'm not advocating that I sell my coin for $10K+ it's just I remember when i used to be offered 1990 for 1-2K just about 3 years ago. Is the 1998 close am a coin that will appreciate like the 1999 no s?
  • Options
    loro1rojoloro1rojo Posts: 266 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the info. Will someone explain to me why it is not worth more than a 1990 no s lincoln? Is it that we don't really know how many there are and we have a better number for the 1990 lincoln? is the 1990 a more dramatic error? It seems to me there are only about 15 of these known and well over 100 1990 and they seem to sell for $10-$15 in 69dc.

I'm not advocating that I sell my coin for $10K+ it's just I remember when i used to be offered 1990 for 1-2K just about 3 years ago. Is the 1998 close am a coin that will appreciate like the 1999 no s? >>

Demand...

A proof cent without and S mint mark is more of a dramatic error than the Proof close AM varieties...
    -Gabe
  • Options
    "...Is it that we don't really know how many there are and we have a better number for the 1990 lincoln? is the 1990 a more dramatic error?..."

My guess would be Yes, Yes, & Yes (on all counts). IMHO, the pop for the 90 seems to be fairly well assumed to be not more than the 100-200 or so (or whatever in that range).

Whereas one factor depressing (suppressing?) the 98 is the fear of popflation. This, at least in part (IMO), is due to the fact that MANY (people) were burned on the pop-flation of the 99-S Close AM
    and the commensurate slide of its prices as the pops rose.

Even if they are apples and oranges (98 & 99), from a perception standpoint they get lumped together (rightly or not).

Personally I would wager that the 98 is about as rare as the 90 given that I'd be amazed if hundreds of thousands (millions?) of proof sets MUST have been looked at by now searching for it.

• Options
    Here's one benchmark for 98 close am versus 99 close am:

I have found and certified about 30-40 1999 close am through the years and they are far and few between - especially in 69dc

I have searched about an equal number of 1998 proof sets and found only 1
  • Options
    Okay, is anyone interested? i have PCGS grades. i have 1 each 1998 close am lincoln 69dc and 68dc available. i will try here first, Not doing no reserve auctions on these coins.........
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I have searched about an equal number of 1998 proof sets and found only 1"

Mark - Did you get lucky and find a second example this month? Congrats if that is the case.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch, yes i did as the first truckload was unloaded and searched the second was rolling up the driveway with the next batch.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the info. Will someone explain to me why it is not worth more than a 1990 no s lincoln? Is it that we don't really know how many there are and we have a better number for the 1990 lincoln? is the 1990 a more dramatic error? It seems to me there are only about 15 of these known and well over 100 1990 and they seem to sell for $10-$15 in 69dc.

I'm not advocating that I sell my coin for $10K+ it's just I remember when i used to be offered 1990 for 1-2K just about 3 years ago. Is the 1998 close am a coin that will appreciate like the 1999 no s? >>

Mark,
    Just to comment on why I believe the 1990 no S Lincoln proof is worth more than the 1998 close AM reverse proof.
    As others have said, the 1990 no S is a clearly evident error coin that is currently accepted within the hobby as a Major error within the Lincoln cent proof collection. It is unique as far as no S Lincolns go. No other Lincoln dated proof since 1968 is missing the S mintmark. And most important, only about 200 exist.
    The AM reverse varieties exist as either close AM or open AM depending on date and whether they are proof or business strike. There are millions of examples of these varieties depending on the date. For example all 1993S Lincoln proofs are the close AM variety. I personally don't see any reason to collect a 1998S close AM since I have an example from 1993S. Obviously, those collectors who enjoy collecting every variety by every date and also like the fact of rarity might be willing to pay a premium for such a coin. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit: Nevermind, I was going to say there are plenty of dates without an S mintmark to collect also, but I see your post refers to the modern proofs only.

I think the appeal of the 1990 No-S is that you can see it from arm's length. There are some business strike collectors who swear the only three Lincoln doubled dies worth owning are the 1955, 1969-S and 1972 for this same reason.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Sean,
    What makes this hobby so special is that each of us can chose to collect in the way that best satisfies us. I personally admire those who chose to collect all the various varieties, especially the Lincoln cents. I stopped at the key varieties only, and even there I am missing coins like the 1936 DD and the 1969DD and others, but I cherish owning my 1955DD and my 1944 D/S type 1.
    Steveimage