Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

Dollar Giveaway Contest - Winners announced

Adam's Dollar Giveaway:

I started in on the giveaways early because I immediately saw the value of this forum, saw that folks were doing cool giveaways, and wanted to get in on the gifting. As that seemed a really good way to build up the all-important "coin Karma"...the mysterious force that allows us to get the best deals, luck out on the rarest coins and avoid counterfeits. Okay, it's not that effective, but I try to get every advantage I can.

First, it was about cents. I may have called them pennies at the time but I am learning. Then Nickels. Dimes followed...quarters after that. Half Dollars was the last contest I ran and that was some time ago.

It has taken some time for me to try to figure out a relevant dollar related question that would also provide an even playing field so that anyone might win. I don't want to pick questions that would exclude a YN for example!

And I don't really think i've done a very good job with the question this time; it's really simple. So, I over compensated by giving away three prizes...

There will be three winners in this contest, randomly picked from everyone who answers in this thread.

Prizes:

Prize #1: One unopened 'numismatic' US Mint roll of 2008 Sacagawea Dollars and one 2007 George Washington presidential dollars (numismatic, not direct ship).

Prize #2: One raw 1923 Peace Dollar, one raw 1921 Morgan Dollar, one ASE and one raw 1971 Ike Dollar, all circulated. (also, I don't think I can guarantee these are sweet original coins either; they are not awful however)

Prize #3: One 1894-O Morgan which is raw and that i'd describe as a low VF. But don't hold me to that please as I have never taken a grading class. Doesn't look particularly cleaned or defective. In fact, I think I cracked it out of an NGC or ANACS slab, but I do not have the specifics; it was too long ago and I was stupid.

I'll have pictures of the prizes soon. I wanted to the the question up now.

These prizes all seem to have approximately equivalent values.

Three winners will be picked at random. But, what will you win? That is where the answer to my question becomes important!

I recently purchased a bunch of 'direct ship' Presidential Dollars from the US Mint. I do enjoy spending them; each time I leave the house, I take 20 with me and use them for small purchases. My use of paper bills has dropped off significantly. You need to guess how many of these dollars I will have next Sunday. Oh, that's a real pain, as I haven't told you how many I purchased, nor how long ago.

Of the three winners I pick at random, the closest to guessing the right number of dollars will get to pick their prize first.

I'll give you a hint. The number of prez dollars I have is somewhere between 500 and 3500.

I'll take answers until 8pm PST on Sunday the 12th of October...at which time i'll do the drawing, announce the winners and see who wants what prize!

Ideally you will enter only once. Entering multiple times won't do you any good, sorry! But it won't disqualify you like it might if this was a Microsoft Live Search violation! Feel free to edit your answer up until the expiration of the contest.

Two numismatic rolls. Now some folks might think these are worthless. But the really forward thinking numismatists who do not fear holding coins for 20 generations or so might actually end up making money on these coins. Not.

The peace dollar looks like it may have it's original skin. The Morgan dollar is bright and thus dipped. The Ike is a strange animal. I see a patch of what looks like odd corrosion on the front. Some very thin layer of something that is very hard and mineral like. It's as if someone tried to clean this coin but did not use a chemical powerful enough to clean it all the way. And an ASE; it says 'one dollar' on the back too.

A worn coin that looks to me like it has been cleaned and retoned. It comes out of my Dansco for an upgrade. Still, I think it is worth on the order of the other two prizes. I'm trying to go for about $50 for each prize.

The final count is:

The winners are (in order)

FIRST PLACE - FilthyBroke - 1,255 - low by 10
SECOND PLACE - Weather11am - 1249 - low by 16
THIRD PLACE - thatboyaintright - 1287 - high by 22

(near misses...sorry, but very very close)
mhheath - 1232 - low by 33
Metalsman - 1228 - low by 37

I'll be contacting the winners in order to see what prizes folks want...

Comments

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    What happened to either.......or both! image
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    The reason I don't want to offer both at the same time is...I expect to run another giveaway not too long after this one...

And that brings me one post closer to 1,000. I need to think up those contest rules in a hurry!

• Options
    The contest for Illustrator CS has started...reply to this thread with your answers!
  • Options
    Heads Tails
    4 7
    5 6
    4 7
    3 8
    2 9

21 Dimes
    Tail's
  • Options

<< <i>
    Your job is to guess the results of my 11 tosses...of 5 coins for each toss...

Heads Tails Tosses (sum should be 11)
    0 --------- 5 ----- ____0_____
    1 --------- 4 ----- ____2____
    2 --------- 3 ----- ____5____
    3 --------- 2 ----- ____4____
    4 --------- 1 ----- ____0____
    5 --------- 0 ----- ____0____

Besides this question, I need the answer to another question.

How many "2000 D" roosevelt dimes did I look through in total when I found the 5th dime with the 'copper on the heads-side'? 9 dimes

Finally, one more question...

I just flipped a coin. Heads or tails? tails >>

Thanks - I love your giveaways!!!

Perry
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07
  • Options
    0 --------- 5 ----- _________
    1 --------- 4 ----- ___2______
    2 --------- 3 ----- ___3______
    3 --------- 2 ----- ___4______
    4 --------- 1 ----- ___2______
    5 --------- 0 ----- _________

Besides this question, I need the answer to another question.

How many "2000 D" roosevelt dimes did I look through in total when I found the 5th dime with the 'copper on the heads-side'?

I just flipped a coin. Heads or tails?

Tails
  • Options
    Thanks for the chance.
    Heads Tails
    1 --------- 4 ----- _____1____
    2 --------- 3 ----- ______4___
    3 --------- 2 ----- _____4____
    4 --------- 1 ----- _____2____

10 dimes
    Heads
  • Options
    Heads Tails

11 Dimes Total

Tails
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    1 --------- 4 ----- ____2_____
    2 --------- 3 ----- ____5_____
    3 --------- 2 ----- ____3____
    4 --------- 1 ----- ____1_____

How many dimes? 14

Tails
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Heads Tails

12 Dimes Total

Tails
  • Options
    A clarification of the rules concerning the 'count toss'...
    some folks have it in this form and some do not...plenty of time to correct the answers...

I am looking for something like this for the first answer...
    Flip a group of 5 coins...11 times. Each of the 11 times, I count how many heads and how many tails I have...then write my results here...
    (sample data has no relationship to contest answer)

0 --------- 5 ----- ____0 times_____
    1 --------- 4 ----- ____1 time_____
    2 --------- 3 ----- ____4 times_____
    3 --------- 2 ----- ____3 times_____
    4 --------- 1 ----- ____3 times_____
    5 --------- 0 ----- ____0 times_____
    total of 11 times

• Options
    Gotta change the rules a bit. I'm out of town...so you've got until Tuesday.

Most of my questions, although they involve coins, are basically questions about probabilities.

The way I figure it, you've got a 1 in 8 chance of getting all three answers correct if you put your thinking cap on!

I'll explain in full on Tuesday.

• Options
    0 --------- 5 ----- ____0 times_____
    1 --------- 4 ----- ____2 time_____
    2 --------- 3 ----- ____3 times_____
    3 --------- 2 ----- ____3 times_____
    4 --------- 1 ----- ____2 times_____
    5 --------- 0 ----- ____1 time_____

How many "2000 D" roosevelt dimes did I look through in total when I found the 5th dime with the 'copper on the heads-side'?

Tails
  • Options
    0 --------- 5 ----- ____0_____
    1 --------- 4 ----- ____1_____
    2 --------- 3 ----- ____5_____
    3 --------- 2 ----- ____5_____
    4 --------- 1 ----- ____0_____
    5 --------- 0 ----- ____0_____

Some words:
    It doesn't seem that there is any substantial weight difference between the copper and nickel sides of a clad coin. Based on the number of dimes I flipped here, you cannot affect the outcome of a coin toss more than 1%. Also, I sort of got tired flipping coins.
    It seems that the planchets are very much random, as one would expect me to run across my "fifth copper obverse dime" on either the 9th or 10th coin if the distribution was random.

tails

"thezookrew" was the closest...and in my opinion, the winner!

(PM sent)

I'll run another software giveaway soon.
  • Options
    Time for a new contest. This one is about quarters. The prize is Adobe Premiere 6.5 for Windows. Rules in the first post. Please post answers here... Contest ends Jun 29th.
  • Options
    1) Ohio
    2) Washington
    3) California
    4) Delaware
    5) Florida

Thanks for the giveaway!
  • Options
    1)Illinois
    2)Texas
    3)Delaware
    4)Wisconsin
    5)Nevada

Thanks for the chance!
  • Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    California
    Pennsylvania
    Arizona
    Utah
    Florida
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    1) New York
    2) Oregon
    3) Texas
    4) Hawaii
    5) Minnesota

Thanks for the chance!
  • Options
    Thanks for the chance.

1. Wyoming
    2. California
    3. Idaho
    4. Kansas
    5. South Dakota
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    New Jersey
    Delaware
    Nevada
    South Carolina
    California
  • Options
    Ohio
    South Carolina
    Minnesota
    Delaware
    Connecticut
  • Options
    So let go with

1) California
    2) New York
    3) Texas
    4) Alaska
    5) Illinois
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    California
    Delaware
    New York
    Hawaii
    Montana

Thanks for the chance image
  • Options
    1. West Virginia
    2. Georgia
    3. Kansas
    4. New Mexico
    5. California
  • Options
    Contest extended by one day...i'll be kickin' it in the California Forests on Sunday Evening!!!

[edit] "Kicking back" I meant to say. I do actually hope to survive this trip as I do all others.
  • Options
    I HAVE ADOBE

NO NEED FOR OLD STUFF WHEN IT IS ALREADY UPGRADED EACH TIME I GO INTO AN ADOBE FORMAT!.

• Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    I'll guess:

Oregon
    New Hampshire
    Flordia
    Georgia
    Idaho

Thanks for the chance!
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    Thanks, and...

1) Maryland
    2) Wyoming
    3) Ohio
    4) Conn
    5) Kansas
  • Options
    Who won?
  • Options
    Never mind I was thinking 7:00 EST.
  • Options
    Yes, yes. I'll get right on it. I have not actually made my random quarter selection yet. It's time to get the quarters out and do it! I'll reply with the winner shortly. And if someone wants to sneak in another answer, I see nothing wrong with that!!! (one answer per individual, please!!! image )

[edit] I'm very sorry I didn't do this last night. But that's the sign of a good vacation...forgetting about ones responsibilities for a weekend...

• Options
    After putting the quarters in order, then consulting the great internet random number generator...here are my selections of quarters:

1) North Carolina
    2) Missouri
    3) New Mexico
    4) Utah
    5) Mississippi

It doesn't look like anyone selected North Carolina or Missouri. However, DocMortar listed New Mexico and nobody else did. So, 'DocMortar' is the winner of this contest.

Congratulations!!!

I hope to run another contest soon, this next one about something relating to half dollars...

• Options
    I have received the software prize and some very interesting state quarters from Adam. Thanks for the contest and for the prize.
    Doc
  • Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    Well please count me in for your giveaway!

I didn't win the Adobe image
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    New contest starts now. Sorry, I don't have any more Adobe software, but i've got some coins to give away...see the first post in this thread for the picture of the prizes, the questions, rules and other blatherings.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) You would have to buy 400 rolls.

2) Scam away as possibly being 1974 Denvers and containing the DDO error!

3) Your cat is equal in its weight of 418 Franklin halves. Plus or minus depending on the last feeding or potty breakimage

4) Lets see... 1961 Franklin, 1997 Proof Kennedy, 1967 SMS Kennedy and a 1974 clad Kennedy in mint cellophane.

Thanks for the chance to play!
  • Options
    Yay! An entry! I can guarantee that there will be a winner! (I was getting worried...24 hours with no answers...slow contest! Perhaps folks are waiting 'til I work up into the gold denominations?)
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry didn't post sooner, can't post from work and I was busy working out the math during my lunch break today (I can show my work so you didn't think I copied image). Cool giveaway and thanks for the chance.

1) 400 rolls
    2) 1974-D and then tell the story to the buyers that previous buyers have found many DDOs. Of course, if you wanted to try to get the really dumb ones and you were a really convincing scammer, say they are all 1970-D rolls image or even silver rolls... image
    3) 418 Franklins would do it! (12.6 troy pounds of silver + 1.4 pounds of copper=your cat)
    4) The coins posted are 1963-D Franklin, 1967 SMS, 1970-D and 1987-S

Thanks again for the chance!!
  • Options
    1)400 rolls
    2)1974-D
    3)418 halves
    4)1963, 1965, 1985, 1993 proof
  • Options
    (1) 400 or 399
    (2) 74-D
    (3) 418
    (4) 1962, 1988 proof, 1967 SMS,1974 mint cello
  • Options
    1. 400
    2. 74D
    3. 418
    4. 1958, 1984 proof, 1966, 2001
  • Options
    deadmunnydeadmunny Posts: 165 ✭✭
    1. 400
    2. 1974D
    3. 418
    4. 1963D Franklin, 1965 SMS, 1970D ICG slab, 1991-S proof

• Options
    1) 400
    2) 74D
    3) 418
    4) 1967 SMS ICG, 1960 Franklin, 1966 SMS, 1990S
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    1 - 400
    2 - 1974-D
    3 - 418
    4 - 1962, 1988 proof, 1965 SMS,1974 Mint cellophane
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    StupidStupid Posts: 558 ✭✭✭
    1-800
    2-74-D
    3-418
    4-1961,1966 sms,1994 proof,1980
  • Options
    TCoinsTCoins Posts: 566 ✭✭
    1 - 400
    2 - 1974d
    3 - 418
    4 - 1961, 1967, 1967, 1974

thanks for the chance!
  • Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    1. 400
    2. '74, if you allow the DDO
    3. 418
    4. '61, ICG '67 SMS, Raw '66 SMS, '87 proof

Thanks for the chance!
  • Options
  • Options
    1) If you order 400 and they are truly random you should have 100 both heads, 100 both tails, and 200 head/tail.

2) I agree with the 74D if you are playing to the DDO crowd, but that has a different reverse. If I had to use the same type of reverse I would go with the 86P.

3) 418 halves

4) 1956 Franklin, 1997 proof, 1967 SMS, and 1974 Unc.

Thanks for another awesome giveaway!!

Perry
    TheZooKrew
    Morgan, modern sets, circulated Kennedys, and Wisconsin error leaf quarter Collector
    First (and only - so far) Official "You Suck" Award from Russ 2/9/07