Home U.S. Coin Forum

HK-222 Grade Posted Today

richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
My first venture into SC$'s so I had no idea of what would happen as I have no basis from which to judge it from other than pictures I'd seen..... I love the design and absolutely drool when I look at Marty's Registry set of them... This came raw from a Heritage sale. Only because I think I paid up for it to win it I was hoping it would grade well.... and it did image It's not likely a head turner for Tmot or Marty but I'm pretty happy with the results.

LineItem Year Mint Mark Variety/Pedigree Denom. Proof Grade Strike Char Comments
001 1892 IL HK-222 LIBERTY HEAD HIGH RELIEF SC$1 PF 66 ULTRA CAMEO

imageimage

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a nice, bright and clean example with only a few minor imperfections that i can see. probably what held it at 66 is the fact that the mirrors aren't clear. keep in mind that grading these medals is the same as how you'd grade coins, the main difference is that with coins it's easier to know what the strike characteristics are. some of the SC$'s are so scarce/rare you need to purchase them without knowing what a full strike is supposed to look lie. then it again comes down to how you'd grade a weakly struck coin; judge the luster and be certain the weak area isn't rub.

this particular issue is very popular now and i think the grading is starting to reflect that poularity both in the numbers in the pop report and the numbers on the insert. NGC seems unwilling to grade them higher than 67 but there's a glut at 65-67. i think that most of the 67's were graded prior to the new-found popularity of the series and the issue, so be careful when buying these raw.
  • ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777
    Very nice looking coin.....err, non-coin !!image
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is beautiful. I always loved this design.
    Congrat's on the grade. And, I'm glad there are others out there
    that buy like I doimage

Stefanie
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    A very nice example. That's nothing to sneeze at. Yes, the pop on the 66s is getting up there, but it's still a nice clean example.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, that is a very nice example.

What did Heritage grade it as?
  • I saw Anaconda's a few years ago......what's a ball park figure for one of those....very attractive coin or so-called...err token...errr what ever you want to call it image
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw Anaconda's a few years ago......what's a ball park figure for one of those....very attractive coin or so-called...err token...errr what ever you want to call it image >>

66s typically sell in the $500-$600 range. I've recently sold a 67 for $800. Raw typically sell in the $200-$300 range sometimes more depending on a few things.
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats, that is a very nice example.

What did Heritage grade it as? >>

In the HA they graded it as a 65. Here's their pics of it.

imageimage
  • AOEDADAOEDAD Posts: 107
    Hello !

Very nice SC$ .. PF 66 UC .. nicer than the one I have in my collection !

In regards to Knickelhead's notes ..
    I agree on NGC's current grading .. two years ago I had bought two from the Fisherman who found a hoard of them .. they came with original cases.. but came back from NGC last month as 64's.

Great purchase ! ..

take care .. tj

"Authority on Exonumia" - DAD

"many contacts among the Lumberjacks "

NGC Registry AOEDAD sets:

Set #1 Major Expositions
    Set #2 So-called Dollar Collections
    So-called $50 Slug Facsimiles
    Bashlow re-strikes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji