Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

MS70 State Quarter/ Sacagawea coins?

Does anyone think that any MS70 State Quarters or Sacagawea dollars will surface? Is it really even possible? If so, how much do you think it would go for?

Sincerely,

Chris
I am waiting to restart my mint State Quarters Registry Set.

Comments

• Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    The only realistic way one will ever surface is a specially made one (Goodacre) or if the mint takes special care in producing them for collectors in the future, kind of like they do for silver commemoratives.

Basically I'd say it will never happen unless the mint changes production methods.
  • Options
    Greg, don't forget all those mischievous mint employees sneakin' out errors... I've often wondered why some savvy employee didn't sneak out some MS69+ coins. Specially polished planchet, struck on fresh clean dies, and voila.

And a lot easier to explain if you got caught -- just another coin. image
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I've thought the same thing. I'd guess it might be because it is harder to keep a coin that mark free and if the coin gets a scratch it's down to face value, but an error coin can still command major money if it only MS63.
  • Options
    True, but much better risk/reward ratio. Especially since a bunch of MS69 state quarters would be a lot less likely to raise official eyebrows than some of those bizarro errors. I don't think the mint monitors PCGS pop reports too closely. image

Separate aside -- do they strike a near-perfect example of each coin specially for the Smithsonian or anyone?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably too many employees involved in the minting process to make your scenerio work.
    I don't think we will ever see a MS70 State quarter. I don't even think we'll see another 1999/2000/2001 (can't speak of future quality) PCGS MS69 State quarter either.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Hmmm. I don't know, Pat. I've never worked on a graveyard shift, or ""thirds" that didn't make up their own rules of conduct (or lack thereof)...
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me, if it could have been done, it would have been done.

peacockcoins