Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The Hot Lips Grading Set

Dennis H's 1895-S grading set of Morgan Dollars is a really tough accomplishment--one that I believe EVERY Morgan Dollar collector should do with their favorite coin. It is even more fun when you can do it with the particular die pair that you like (i.e., a particular VAM). This way, you are assured that the conditions were similar for the minting of the coin...mint, time frame, dies, press settings. This makes the progression of wear much easier to evaluate.

I have been working on this set for nearly a decade now and after going through 100 or more Hot Lips, I have completed the Ashmore Hot Lips Grading Set.

It contains every grade of the variety that has every been made, and even has the three absolute stoppers--the POOR 1, the MS60DMPL, and the MS61. I will probably try to find a VAM that will be available in grades up to MS68, as well. I doubt I can handle an MS69 coin. But I think it would be really cool to own as much of a PCGS grading set as possible for the series I love the most. At least in Business strikes.

The Ashmore 1888-O Hot Lips Grading Set

Ash Harrison
Ash Harrison

President, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors
Governor, National Silver Dollar Roundtable
President, Ashmore Rare Coins

Comments

• Options
    That is so cool.....Man it makes me smile just to look at it....

Thanks for sharing......
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a VAM geek myself, I have to gush about Ash's Hot Lips set. It's nothing less than ridiculously amazing; "impressive" simply doesn't even begin to cover it. I picked a hard, expensive date, but at least (except for the Poor-01) I knew I could find and somehow afford the coins. But not so Ash's set. C'mon, a Hot Lips in Mint State... let alone in two different grades? I kneel before The Master. As for the financial side of it... let's just not even go there.

If you think about it, there's really not a more impressive VAM grading set possible (and I doubt this one could be repeated) which non-VAM folks can appreciate too, than the Hot Lips. Part of it is because you can see the silly things without a loupe. And they're on the obverse, which make them ideal for display purposes. An 1888-O Scar Face set might be the only VAM that could beat it, except there aren't any of those known to exist in grades below AU.

If any coin collector wants to get a better and much more intimate feel for how PCGS grades any circulated coin series, I highly recommend putting together a grading set. Depending on how you do it, it probably won't be either easy or fast. For the learning to really sink in, and to make the challenge tougher, pick a date that matters financially to you in all or most of the grades. And for the experience to make the longest-lasting impression, buy mostly raw coins and send them in yourself. Bodybags are an amazing feedback on how you look at coins the next time out.

Ash: I know the DMPL coin is a freak of nature, but which of the other grades would be toughest to replace?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    Ash and Dennis; You both do so much for the VAM community. It almost makes me wish I decided not to sell mine off, but had to make some collecting cuts somewhere. You both have a strong love for the hobby and always willing to contribute. My hat is off to both of you!
  • Options
    ashmoreashmore Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Thanks, Dennis for your input.. Hey, are the VAM 1A coins the cornerstone of your grading set? I still have NEVER seen one. I think I saw some pictures, but that is all. Now, you talk about tough. A whole set of those would be an all timer...

Ash Harrison

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    That's a nice set and I can understand taking a decade to get the set. Patience and anticipation !

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a terrific set. I started an 1888-O grading set years ago and stopped about 3 years later. This is truly amazing.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Thanks, very much, to all of you who have sent your comments. I can't wait to see it all together at the Long Beach show---as I haven't seen it myself since I sent the coins to PCGS so they could photograph it and fix the VG10/F12 problem I had. The MS60DMPL Leroy Van Allen coin was purchased after I sent the main group to them, so, it will be a first look for me, too.

I can't wait to use the coins at the ANA for the circulated grading portion of the Advanced Morgan Dollar Class I'm teaching.

Ash
    Ash Harrison

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ash,

this is awsome, once they get back into your possesion after the tour, youll have to bring them out so i can see them in person when I am passing thru up your way!!

truly a great accomplishment!

Jim d
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Man, that's an awesome set!

That PO-1 is SICK!!!

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Ash,
    Awesome set! I think this will do a lot to turn heads and get folks hooked on how cool VAMs are
    imageimageimage

Rob

Rob Joyce - Dollar Variety / VAM Collector
    http://www.vamworld.com
    and
    http://www.rjrc.com
  • Options
    Thanks, Rob. I happen to know that you have a heck of a set of Hot Lips of your own... image

I owe you big on the listing under the specialty sets portion of PCGS' registry. I was wondering where and how I was going to get that up there.

Ash
    Ash Harrison

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >> Hey, are the VAM 1A coins the cornerstone of your grading set? I still have NEVER seen one. <<

Ash: I have three (PCGS XF45, VF25, F15), I once owned a cleaned & polished AU50, and I've seen two others in eBay auction photos that looked cleaned. That's the grand total I've heard of. I'll bring one to Long Beach so you can see it. image
    When in doubt, don't.