DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    COOOLLLL!!!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CONGRATS... nicely done.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Now go for the MS set.

That is a perfect set for beginners to look at when debating what they have- great job Dennis.
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job of putting every circulated 1895-S grade in it's place, what a great project to work on. This would make an excellent display at any coin show, especially using a key date like the 1895-S.

Super looking set, Dennis image
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    very nice pics Dennis!
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    SUPER image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set and a great looking 58.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    Nice grading set for a hard to find date!

TC
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super nice.

Al
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Dennis, NICE!
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do like the 95-S too, not as much as you obviously. image

Any extra AU58`s laying around? image
  • Options
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That is really cool!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    smallchangesmallchange Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    I really like that. How long did it take you to find all of those examples. Did you find them slabbed or did you send them in for grading.

Jim
    Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Very impressive.
  • Options
    What about the MS grades Dennis? image

imageimageimage
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really like that. How long did it take you to find all of those examples. Did you find them slabbed or did you send them in for grading.
    Jim >>

Thanks for the comments everyone! image

The set took 4 years and 5 months to complete, and was much more difficult than I had anticipated. It was originally started after I finished an all-PCGS Morgan set that was nearly all Mint State, so I could learn how they grade circ. Morgans. It taught me much, much more than I expected.

Six of the coins (mostly higher grades) were bought already in PCGS holders. Three were crossed at the same grade from other holders. Four were crossed one grade lower from other holders. The other six coins (mostly lower grades) were submitted raw. There were 11 other raw coins that either graded too high or too low for what I needed. Amazingly, there were no body bags along the way. And it freaks me out to think about it now, but nearly all of the raw coins came from eBay.

Go ahead and laugh, but toward the end the biggest "problem" I had were raw coins grading too high. The last coin into the set was F15. I'd sent in 2-3 that came back VF20, so I finally decided to buy an ANACS VF20 and send it in for crossover in the holder. Voila!... F15. The rarest coin in the set is, by far, the Poor-01. So far it's the only one PCGS has graded.

The set has been complete for five years but I've never stopped buying 'em. I'm up to 45 now, all in PCGS holders. I still don't own a Mint State example. I'm leaving the financial headache of that grading set to someone with more zeros in their checkbook than I have.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Way cool Dennis.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a very cool set... and from personal experience I definitely know the challenges involved in building a grading set, well done!!!

• Options
    Holy Crap!

I posted in this thread 3 years ago!

OMFG!!!!!!
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

95-s OCD.....imageimage
    Becky