Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

With wide spread milk spots on both unc and proof silver eagles shouldn't PCGS

require that top collections publish pictures of their coins to ensure that a PR70DCAM isn't really a PR68 in terms of the Registry? Would it be too hard to track this when we are talking about a unique problem with these eagles? I even heard a rumor that the 95-W 70 is no longer "technically" a 70 due to this issue. I have had conversations with the top silver eagle collector and he agrees 100%. image

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem seems to be largely associated with ASEs both proof and unc. It is also an artifact of the manufacturing process. So does the mint make its own planchets for the ASEs and outsources those used for everything else? That makes no sense to me. Or does the mint outsource the planchets for the ASEs only and make their own for other coins? Makes no sense either.
    Why won't someone in the know give us the skinny on this? It can't be that freakin proprietary.
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    WHAT I'D LIKE TO KNOW IS IF ANYONE STILL HAS SEA'S IN THE ORIGINAL MINT PACKAGING (CAPSULE) THAT ARE SPOTTING?

THAT WOULD ELIMINATE THE CHANCE THAT THE TPG'S HOLDERS ARE CAUSING THE MILK SPOTS...
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    No. Such a move would inevitably require that the unique features of even the simplest die variety be photographed and displayed to insure that the variety was not misattributed.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    The chances that the TPG holders are the cause of the spotting is slim and none.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The registry is all about the number on the label, so it really makes no difference what the coin looks like.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>The registry is all about the number on the label, so it really makes no difference what the coin looks like. >>

Truer werds wuz never posted.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>The registry is all about the number on the label, so it really makes no difference what the coin looks like. >>

That's not entirely true. Besides, what do you know of the Registry?
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    I love the choices you gave on the poll! Very funny. I had to vote all of the above, as I agreed with most of them.
  • Options

<< <i>

That's not entirely true. Besides, what do you know of the Registry? >>

Well there are some people who buy the number on the slab instead of the coin, which would be obvious if you have ever seen or purchased some of the coins that come from these sets. It happens in the top ranked sets too. Some collectors just aren't/weren't very picky. Then again there are others who if you buy their registry coins you now you are getting something nice. You kind of learn who has a good eye for quality and who doesn't.