Home U.S. Coin Forum

CCAC Picks 2009 First Spouse Designs - Tyler's Twofer all the rage!!!

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
CCAC Picks 2009 First Spouse Designs
By Numismatic News
May 01, 2008

Designs for 2009 First Spouse gold coins and bronze medals were considered at the Citizen Coin Advisory Committee meeting April 22.

Images of the First Spouse coin designs viewed at the meeting can be seen on Page 23, identified by codes used by the committee.

For the Anna Harrison coin, CCAC preferred designs AH-O-02 for the obverse and AH-R-02 for the reverse. First Lady Harrison was a supporter of education and an avid reader, and the reverse design reflects these attributes.

The committee selected LT-O-04 and LT-R-03 for the Letitia Tyler coin. She suffered ill health and spent most of her time on the family's plantation caring for their eight children. She died in 1842, about a year and a half into her husband's Presidency.

President John Tyler wed again while in office, in 1844, marrying a woman named Julia Gardiner. For the Julia Tyler coin, the CCAC singled out designs JT-O-03 and JT-R-01. The reverse design shows President Tyler handing the First Lady the gold pen he used to sign papers annexing Texas to the United States, an action she had helped achieve.

Sarah Polk designs SP-O-05 and SP-R-01 were preferred, the reverse showing her working as private secretary to President Polk in the White House.

Designs featuring Margaret Taylor that CCAC selected were MT-O-01 and MT-R-01. She spent much of her life moving with her military husband. The reverse design chosen highlights her care for wounded soldiers during the Seminole War.

The medal designs are not shown here for space reasons. They all correspond to the coin designs shown. Removed from the medal versions are denominations, metal content information and text such as "2009," "E Pluribus Unum" and "In God We Trust." Removal of these items allows for the central design elements on the reverses to be enlarged for the medals.

At the meeting, CCAC also reviewed an intended design theme proposed for a 2009 Native American dollar. Highlighted in this theme were agriculture; agricultural practices such as crop rotation, round cropping, hybridizations, irrigation and other techniques still in use today; and Three Sisters symbiotic agriculture, which involves increasing productivity by planting corn, climbing beans and squash in the same plot.

Looks like the 2009 First Spouses could be the "hottest" ladies yet!!!! image

FLBuff has got to be one excited man right now!! image

Comments

• planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm -- Tyler brings a twofer. I had no idea.

Looks like we've come a long way from Martha and Abagail.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmm -- Tyler brings a twofer. I had no idea. Looks like we've come a long way from Martha and Abagail. >>

Tyler's twofer twer too cute! I know, it's only gold, but they don't look so bad!
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyler's second wife Julia was notoriously a babe.

That was definitely a Dennis Kucinich situation. image
  • I was reading in the May 12th Coin World those are the CCAC selected designs however not finalized since the Commission of Fine Arts still has to review and vote on the designs. The reverse designs along with the designs that were not selected are also in the Coin World article.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    these coins just look odd to me.

i can see doing presidents but wives? geez.

what next? pet dogs? favorite shoes of the president? famous hats
    of the ladies?

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch! Too bad.
    I am feeling this has become somewhat of a running non-funny joke at the expense of attractiveness and a classical design.
    I cannot imagine someone years from now, or sooner, having the burning desire to want these absolute unflattering depictions. More melt, less excitement.
    Thanks though Goldbully.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't realize they would do 2 seperate coins for Tyler. Guess I'll just have to up my 2009 coin budget a little.

Based on the reaction this series gets here, I'm starting to wonder if I'll be the only one with 2 full proof and uncirculated sets of these?? actually i hope so image
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Who cares about ANY of these woman?

Can any one name anything noteworthy about any of them beyond their relative hotness to last years crop of matrons?

• << <i>Didn't realize they would do 2 seperate coins for Tyler. Guess I'll just have to up my 2009 coin budget a little.

Based on the reaction this series gets here, I'm starting to wonder if I'll be the only one with 2 full proof and uncirculated sets of these?? actually i hope so image >>

+1 image

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>these coins just look odd to me.

i can see doing presidents but wives? geez.

what next? pet dogs? favorite shoes of the president? famous hats
    of the ladies? >>

President's horses. Issued via a series of quarters.

• jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    tippecanoe and tyler two
  • StellaStella Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Margaret Taylor has a certain resemblance to... SBA!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.

• << <i>Who cares about ANY of these woman?

Can any one name anything noteworthy about any of them beyond their relative hotness to last years crop of matrons? >>

I believe that is the purpose of the series, to honor and recognize and the many contributions the First Spouses have made while in the shadow of their husbands which gathered the most notoriety.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmm -- Tyler brings a twofer. I had no idea.

Looks like we've come a long way from Martha and Abagail. >>

So with JFK, will we get Jackie AND Marilyn Monroe?

<< <i>So with JFK, will we get Jackie AND Marilyn Monroe? >>

I think either one is going to sell out in the first hour or two they are offered for sale.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So with JFK, will we get Jackie AND Marilyn Monroe? >>

I think either one is going to sell out in the first hour or two they are offered for sale. >>

did congress mandate they do the whole series?
    if not, i think it will not make it ;-)
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmm -- Tyler brings a twofer. I had no idea. >>

Yep, I've learned something new too!
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    With my current goals, weak finances and the price of gold I am already priced out of this series. I liked it when it was around $400 each.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we going to see any women that don't share their last name with their President?

<< <i>Are we going to see any women that don't share their last name with their President? >>

Yes. Alice Paul will be on Chester Arthur's coin. 21st president, but looks like it'll be the 22nd coin w/ the 2 going to Tyler. Instead of a Liberty coin for Chester Arthur the law says:

"as represented, in the case of President Chester Alan Arthur, by a design incorporating the name and likeness of Alice Paul, a leading strategist in the suffrage movement, who was instrumental in gaining women the right to vote upon the adoption of the 19th amendment and thus the ability to participate in the election of future Presidents, and who was born on January 11, 1885, during the term of President Arthur"

How lame is that????? Should have kept consistent and had a Barber design Liberty coin!!!!!!

I don't think there are any others that don't share the president's last name. It looks like there's also going to be 2 coins for Woodrow Wilson as he had two First Ladies.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like there's also going to be 2 coins for Woodrow Wilson as he had two First Ladies.

Another "twofer?" image

BTW, what did Chester Arthur ever accomplish???? image
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Who cares about ANY of these woman?

Can any one name anything noteworthy about any of them beyond their relative hotness to last years crop of matrons? >>

I believe that is the purpose of the series, to honor and recognize and the many contributions the First Spouses have made while in the shadow of their husbands which gathered the most notoriety. >>

Very nice sentiment Buff.....you are always so reasonable. image
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭
    FLBuffaloHunter, It seems you will get no sympathy here. The forum loves to bash these coins. I am now collecting these raw if I can afford them.
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    OHMYGOSH--THEY ARE SUCH HAGS....on second thought, Julia's rather hot!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Whoa! I think Julia winked at me. image
  • Julia's a babe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file