Stewart?

K

Comments

• Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

I sure hope so!! That's one of the reasons I'm going. image
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    That's my reason to make the trip as well. Along with bonding and drinking beer with the MPL gang as a new addition to the club.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Yup It is a 100% go.I called up David Halls secretary and asked if David would review my collection so I could get some upgrades and still have not received a return call.

I promise the 400 - 500 coins in slabs will blow everyones mind !

Stewart

ps Its been at least 20 years of intense competetive collecting to put it together.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one we'll remember for a long time. Thanks for sharing it Stewart!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>This is one we'll remember for a long time. Thanks for sharing it Stewart! >>

I agree and looking forward to seeing this group. image I'd love to purchase a "cast-off" from the Stewart Blay Collection also. image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait!
    Doug
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many upgrades is PCGS suggesting?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    jacktheknifejacktheknife Posts: 1,547

I called up David Halls secretary and asked if David would review my collection so I could get some upgrades and still have not received a return call.

Don't hold your breath Stewart.

Yes, I can't wait to see these coins. It will probably be 5 deep around the display cases!!

Jack

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of us who will not be able to attend and see Mr. Blay's collection first hand, hopefully we can live vicariously through others who do attend through posts and pictures.

Wish I could be on hand to check out the collection.
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

Thanks in advance for bringing your coins!!

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Id love to see those Matte Proofs!!!

Wouldnt it be neat if the PCGS registry set setup would allow you to actually post digital pictures of the coins in your set??? image
  • Options
    MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    I agree - for those of us who will not be attending - it will be nice to live vicariously through our fellow forum members.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
    I'm here to learn a little something...
    Mark's Mattes
    Mark's Cameo SMS Set
    Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    the Federal Government needs to purchase this set. This collection is so significant that it should be held in trust forever.
  • Options

<< <i>the Federal Government needs to purchase this set. This collection is so significant that it should be held in trust forever. >>

Brother, curly needs to purchase that set. If Stewart is willing, I'll even let part of my SS check be deposited in his account until it's paid in full. image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the Federal Government needs to purchase this set. This collection is so significant that it should be held in trust forever. >>

No way, I draw the line there big time. I would rather keep them circulating in collector's hands. Coins are hard to display in a museum setting, which is what I think you are suggesting. I'm also against the federal government owning too much of anything.
    Doug
  • Options
    I hate to be greedy image, but will the 1796 half cent and 1807 large cent be on display as well? image

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Federal Government needs to purchase this set. This collection is so significant that it should be held in trust forever.

Yeah, right, government knows what's best for us.

Why let collectors enjoy the good stuff? image

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

I don't think I can support the "keep it together in a trust" option, either. I figure that I am young enough to someday get a chance at a few of the coins in that collection. When Stewart is ready to part with them, I'll be waiting.

Jack

• Options

Small Eagle - Yes the 1796 half cent in ms 66 R/B as well as the 1807 Large Cent in ms 66 red will be there.

I don't believe in government interference in coin collecting.I also think the government should sell the ten 1933 Saints.Monetise them and make some collectors happy.

All my coins will go to collectors.I plan to have ALOT OF FUN.

Stewart
  • Options
    jacktheknifejacktheknife Posts: 1,547

All my coins will go to collectors.I plan to have ALOT OF FUN.

Just make sure to give us plenty of lead time before the sale! I need to sell my house, my car, my stocks, my boat, and a few coins before the auction!!!!!!

Jack

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the 10 1933 Saints currently tied up on a lawsuit and in the possession of Uncle Sam, I have been following the case and as of yet it has not been set for a trial date.

The outcome of the case, if not settled, will be a federal district court judgment that determines whether the Langbord family or the Government owns the coins. An appeal of any trial court judgment is possible. However, in the end ownership of the coins will be decided. If the government wins, it could keep the coins (at the Smithsonian), destroy them (what a shame) or monetize them and sell them to the public (after settling with the buyer of the Farouk 1933 Saint). If the Langbord family wins, then I suspect that eventually one or more of the 10 Saints will be sold to the public.

IMHO, anything result other than the 10 Saints being made legal to own would be WRONG in some many ways on so many different levels.

Back to the OP, I wish I could see Mr. Blay's collection in person. What a treat for those persons who get to see them.
  • Options

<< <i>Just make sure to give us plenty of lead time before the sale! I need to sell my house, my car, my stocks, my boat, and a few coins before the auction!!!!!! >>

What HE said! Mr Husak did very well at this, with Heritage publicizing his sale 6-8 months beforehand. I'll make it to the ANA just to see your early stuff.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    What are the dates? Will they be there for the entire show?
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks from all of us Stewart. PM sent. K
  • Options
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if ALL these coins were imaged (with "killer" high quality images) for the registry before they get broken up some day.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I can make it, I would be willing to take some photos. They'll probably have to be handheld, but I'd be at least willing to set-up my "assembly line" coin photo stand if I were allowed.

-Matt
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Stewart, any chance that you can throw the finest silver coin in existance in one of the viewing cases as well? I keep finding myself looking at that thread and would love to see it in hand!

Mark
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    I just watched your interview. Really liked it and I'm glad your sharing your set with the public. Too bad I'll be in Chicago for the baseball card show that weekend.
  • Options
    I think that as "payment" for Stewart doing that pcgs interview, all of the coins ought to be imaged, at pcgs' expense using their top-notch photography. That would do justice to the coins, and allow all of us who can't attend the ability to "see" them.
  • Options
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that as "payment" for Stewart doing that pcgs interview, all of the coins ought to be imaged, at pcgs' expense using their top-notch photography. That would do justice to the coins, and allow all of us who can't attend the ability to "see" them. >>

His coins have already been imaged by a top notch photographer.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>I think that as "payment" for Stewart doing that pcgs interview, all of the coins ought to be imaged, at pcgs' expense using their top-notch photography. That would do justice to the coins, and allow all of us who can't attend the ability to "see" them. >>

There was a brochure printed with pictures of his coins at the show. Since I couldn't attend, I asked my good friend Brian Wagner if he would get one for me and have Stewart autograph it for me.

Of course Brian and Stewart both stepped up and made ol' curly's day.
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

I really had a great time at the show.I think everyone who saw my coins were not disappointed.I signed more autographs than ever before in my life.
    I will continue to collect and improve my set whenever possible. I look forward to finding new coins.

Stewart

• Options
    2keele2keele Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Stewart,
    I sure was not disappointed. Thanks for sighing my brochure and being so generous with your time. I do collect copper, it is better than gold.
    Drew Rhodes (2keele)
    Edrew
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AWESOME display. Thanks again for sharing them.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed viewing this collection at ANA. The Indians were the most impressive, it's amazing that these still exist in such original RD condition.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Thanks Stewart,

Your coins are amazing! had alot of fun chatting with you and other collectors at the show.

Brian
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    Did not make it so missed the opportunity to see Stuart's beauties. Have seen some of the red pennies in Stewarts collection, fabulous quality, may recognize a few of them. Sounds like a lot of fun and glad you are getting the recognition you deserve after so long of a hunt. I remember collecting the red lincolns with Stewart in the late 1980's at the San Diego show where a 1916-S raw that graded MS65 red was acquired by Stewart. The 1923-S I acquired was graded MS65 red brown, the subtleties of color. Hard to upgrade these red monsters that Stewart has amassed, not many around. Curious if you still have any cents pedigreed to Doug Rall like the 1917-S in MS66 I got graded by PCGS or the 1924-D in 66 Red I bought from others? Best regards, Doug Rall
  • Options
    HI Doug,

The 16 S that graded ms 65 red is still in my collection.The 17 S in 66 red is also still in my set.Remember the 27 S that I bought from Monty Millard (the Alaskan game warden),it is also still in my set.The 24 D in 66 red that you bought from David Hall as well as the first 1909 S VDB graded ms 67 red from Jess Lipka are in Gerrys set.
    Sorry you could not attend the exhibit as my collection goes from 1793 Half cents,Flying Eagle cents,Indian cents and finishes with Lincolns.Are you still living in Idaho ?Great to hear from you.

Stewart
  • Options
    Good to hear your reply. I am still in Coeur d Alene, Idaho. Your recollections are perfect about these lincolns and with your focus for 30+ years and good access to the coastal coin markets no doubt very few if any upgrades around for you that you have not already passed on before. Monte's 1927-S is by far the nicest 27-S I had ever seen at the time and I am glad to have steered it into your hands, at a small mark-up of course but compared to todays prices chump-change at best! Sent you a PM as not to ramble on. Best regards, Doug.
  • Options
    I drove from Florida for ANA and frankly Stewart's copper (and other miracles) made

my trip!!!! Amazing how great an eye SB had before ANA/PCGS/NGC were giving out numbers.

Trully wonderful display---and yes, many deserve an upgrade Mr. Hall!!!!!

morgannut2
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The collection was OUTSTANDING!!! In fact I found myself in that corner of the convention center 3-4 times a day for 4 days in a rowimage I guess seeing isn't always believing? The 1807 quarter in 67 was a real mind blower and just as I remembered it from Eliasberg but the blazing full red 1807/6 large cent was unreal and everytime I looked at it I kept thinking it has to look exactly like it did when it came off the dies over 200 years ago!! Definitely one of those coins that leaves a lasting impression in your brain.

The crazy thing about the experience for me was, I was primarily interested in the small cent patterns which is an area that I collect but I spent all my time gawking at Stewarts half cents, a superb gem large cent and of course the lone silver coin which Stewart has called the finest early silver coin in existence (gets my voteimage)

Thanks again Stewart for sharing your great collectionimage
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a listing off all the coins in the display?
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watching that makes me feel like I'm just pi$$ing into the wind.
  • Options
    Thanks for that great video. Even thru the glass your close up of the 1877 MS66 Red Indian required sunglasses to view due to the blazing red luster beaming up! Love the old holders and varieties too.