Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Something Changing in the Set Registry?

I see that when you enter your numbers in the Set Registry that they are still keeping 1-10 as the grade, but under the grade weight it is listed 1.00 to 10.00, I would guess. My question is, isn't this backwards?

I think SCG does grading like 85, 92, 78, etc., and assigns a classification such as NM or NM+, etc.

Since the grade is so important, wouldn't it serve PSA and those who collect to have a system where there "is" a grade between 7 and 8, such as 7.50 or 7.75?

Under the old system, and one point difference between 7 and 8 makes a big impact on your set.

Is your card closer to a 7 or an 8? Thereby, 7.75 for a high end 7 card or 7.25 for a low end 7 card would be much more useful.

Just ramblings.

Dale
1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
#15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
#23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Dale:

Not sure I really follow your message.

But, anyway, here is my example. 1955 Bowman set (sorry, I can best talk about that one). There are 320 cards, with a combined grade weight of 701. Being that each card can theoretically grade from 1-10, a "perfect 10" set would have 7,010 grade points.

For any low number common in the set, upgrading from a 7 to an 8 gives you an additional 1 grade point out of a possible 7,010. Really not much of a change. One your set is completely graded, upgrading does little. (Just ask Vargha with his recently PSA 9 additions to his 1951 Bowman set).
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Dale, I see your point, but I can argue it the other way. SCG's grading may be more "exact" because of having many more grades, but (1) it is probably less consistent (I'm sure plenty of SCG 92s are indistinguishable from SCG 88s) and (2) "exactness" in grading comes with a price. PSA graders have to come up with a number in a short period of time in order to charge ~$8 per card; it is likely easier to decide between a 7 and 8 quickly than between a 7, 7.25, 7.5, 7.75 or 8.
    POTD = 09/03/2003