Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1860 Coin Price Guide

Has anyone seen this?

I found it very interesting and I was surprised that collectors in the 1860s did not collect by mintmark.

Comments

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Not a big choice of mints back them. 1 capped bust half, a few here there and yonder.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    are any of the coins listed in that book no longer available today?
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    No 1804 dollar--one just sold for over 4 million

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Anyone want to pony up $20 or so for a 1796 half dollar?
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Collectors did not generally collect by mint mark until Augustus Heaton published "Coinage of the United States Branch Mints" in 1893. Prior to that, most collectors were satisfied to simply have an example of the date, from any mint.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    What a great post, I love the historical aspect of coin collecting.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buzzard Cents! LOL!

Notice how 1856 cents fell in price in 1859. This is due to the Mint selling them.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is great and should be in the master list stone
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Buzzard Cents! LOL! >>

Buzzardeye... doesnt have the same ring Rick
  • Options

<< <i>Not a big choice of mints back them. 1 capped bust half, a few here there and yonder. >>

I disagree. In 1860, a collector could have nearly completed a Charlotte and Dahlonega set - dollars, quarter eagles, and half eagles. The New Orleans mint was also up and running producing both silver and gold.
  • Options
    VG Fugio Cent - $0.75. That's 75 times face value.

I paid 75,000 times face value for mine!
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I disagree. In 1860, a collector could have nearly completed a Charlotte and Dahlonega set - dollars, quarter eagles, and half eagles. The New Orleans mint was also up and running producing both silver and gold. >>

True, but there wasn't really much mintmark collecting at the time so there was little or no premium for them. I guess it wasn't until Heaton's 1893 work that a lot more attention was paid to them.

I'm having a cool vision of a few people collecting by mintmark in 1860, at a time when few people cared -- getting the scarce mint marks for the same price as the commons. Were they the first "cherrypickers"? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file