Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What cards/sets do you think will gain/lose value the best over the next 20 years?

Things that will hold or gain value:

-Topps test sets from 1964 to 1974 (many are very scarce in any condition and most are quite popular with collectors)
-1960's and 1970's food issues (Post, Bazooka, Kellogg's, etc.)
-Minor League cards of superstars
-1951-1975 baseball superstars in all grades
-1951-1972 football superstars and sets (very undervalued in my opinion)
-Early basketball superstars and sets (up to 1980-81), especially well-centered 1961 Fleer cards
-Early hockey superstars (up to 1979-80),
-Star cellos and racks and other one-of-a-kind items

Things that will lose value:

-All modern cards in all conditions (post-1975 for baseball, post-1972 for football, post 1980-81 for basketball, post 1979-80 for hockey)...nothing made after 1975 is truly scarce, even PSA 10's
-Graded high-grade vintage commons (as the Registry fad wears off over time, people will no longer be willing to pay astronomical prices for low population commons that are scarce only because many people don't bother to submit them)

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I believe Rare rookie autos of future hofers are the "vintage of the future" and will gain value (after they hit their historic highs during their peak performances). Bowman chrome refractors being the major player in that area.

Vintage Commons will continue dip in value....too much out there.

Modern game used will decrease exept the "most exceptional".

On-card autos of hofers will rise, stickers will decrease.

Vintage rookies of hofers will continue to rise in higher grades, lower grades will decrease.

Of course there will be exceptions in all cases, based on supply vs demand.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    So glad you mentioned 61 Fleer Basketball. I just completed my set TODAY :-) Average grade is 6.3. I'm planning on upgrading to 7. took me 7 months to put together. Also funny that you say vintage football. I'm doing 57 Topps in PSA 7 right now (just bought the Raymond Berry yesterday). I guess I'm doing well if you think these are undervalued!
  • Options

<< <i>

Things that will lose value:

-All modern cards in all conditions (post-1975 for baseball...nothing made after 1975 is truly scarce, even PSA 10's

Thoughts? >>

Grossly wrong here...there are plenty of "scarce" desired baseball after 1994, and will likely have a better upturn percentage wise over most vintage, in particular rare rookie autos of future hofers.

• Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭

<< <i>Things that will hold or gain value:

-1951-1975 baseball superstars in all grades
    >>

A bold statement.
  • Options

<< <i>Grossly wrong here...there are plenty of "scarce" desired baseball after 1994, and will likely have a better upturn percentage wise over most vintage, in particular rare rookie autos of future hofers. >>

With all due respect, I disagree. Nothing made in the last 30 years is truly scarce. There are certainly items that have been made artificially scarce by manufacturers, but demand for those types of item is generally so low, and they were so overproduced as a whole, that I can't see them being worth much down the road. Most players these days have both multiple rookie cards and multiple autographed cards and trying to pick out future HOFers is a fools errand (Dwight Gooden and Jose Canseco anyone?). There are probably 60-80 active players with HOF potential right now, but history tells us that only 15-20 will ever make the Hall of Fame. Consider the fact that there are literally thousands of "1 of 1" type inserts from the past twenty years that you can't give away on Ebay or at shows. They stay hot the year they are issued when people are working on the set they are associated with, but lose all value after that when people move on to other sets.

<< <i>Things that will hold or gain value: -1951-1975 baseball superstars in all grades >>

<< <i>A bold statement. >>

Bold yes...but then if you don't make bold statements, there's nothing interesting to discuss! My feeling is that because causal collectors often start by collecing their favorite players, there will always be high demand for cards of players like Ted Williams, Musial, Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Koufax, Banks, Yaz, Rose, Ryan, Seaver, Bench, etc. The level of demand will depend on the popularity of the player, of course, so Mays is more likely to hold value than Marichal, but I think generally speaking, there will always be buyers for these types of players, even in low grades, since many people collect lower grade vintage to keep costs down.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't agree that all post 1975 cards will decline in value. As time goes the stars from that era will get more recognition, especially with the Roids Era starting in 1989. You are starting to see it happen already with Sutter and Gossage getting in the HOF. Jim Rice looks like a strong possibility as well next year.

The 1980's is when the hobby started to take off and a lot left in the 1990's. I'm sure some of those collectors will come back and drive demand as they get older and more sentimental.
    Mike
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I think mid-grade pre-war will hold or gain value.

I think that 90% of items post-1973 will lose value.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I think most of the speculating experts here who say most stuff will decline are just bitter because they have 25 cases of 1990 Donruss in their attic that they were going to send the kids to college with. But in all seriousness, if you really want to know- go to the Beckett boards and read about "prospecting" now those are some smart people.
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Big statement to say that all modern cards in all conditions will lose value. For example, I just don't see Peyton Manning stuff as a whole dropping in value. Sure there are some mass produced cards of his, but I doubt his Contenders card (production of 200) will drop, even though some point that it's not a true "rookie card".
  • Options

<< <i>I think mid-grade pre-war will hold or gain value.

I think that 90% of items post-1973 will lose value. >>

I'd say most post-1980 stuff. That's just me though.

And "prospecting" is a fools game. Anyone can do it, I've done it in the past. It's just like ANY gambling venture...you hear all about the "big scores" but they don't talk much about how many times they've lost. But to each their own.
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I don't think there is a hard and fast year but IF I were looking at cards as an "investment" I would buy pre 1975 or so. I just think the supply after is simply too great for demand to ever really catch up.
  • Options
    Just buy T-206 Wagners. I don't see them going down much. Buy cards of Quarterbacks who are going to win the superbowl ans autographs of players who are old and will die soon. That is were the big money is. That lot of 190 Stan Musial Autos in the REA auction is just a few months or maybe a year from being listed on eBay in one day listings for a big return. Also buy cards of players who are going to die tragicly in the future- like Pat Tillman, Sean Taylor and Darrent Williams. They sell really high for a while on ebay.
  • Options

<< <i>For example, I just don't see Peyton Manning stuff as a whole dropping in value. Sure there are some mass produced cards of his, but I doubt his Contenders card (production of 200) will drop, even though some point that it's not a true "rookie card". >>

The problem is that there are so many Peyton Manning cards out there that why would anyone want to pay big bucks for any specific one? There are already 313 items in his Basic Set and 1050 items in his Master Set, and he's got another 5-10 years left as a player! Compare that to his dad, who has only 11 items in his Basic Set and 25 items in his Master Set, or to someone like Bart Starr, with 16 cards in his Basic Set and 29 in his Master Set. With so many cards of modern players being produced, there just simply isn't going to be enough demand for any specific card, no matter how few were produced, to support a very high price.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For example, I just don't see Peyton Manning stuff as a whole dropping in value. Sure there are some mass produced cards of his, but I doubt his Contenders card (production of 200) will drop, even though some point that it's not a true "rookie card". >>

The problem is that there are so many Peyton Manning cards out there that why would anyone want to pay big bucks for any specific one? There are already 313 items in his Basic Set and 1050 items in his Master Set, and he's got another 5-10 years left as a player! Compare that to his dad, who has only 11 items in his Basic Set and 25 items in his Master Set, or to someone like Bart Starr, with 16 cards in his Basic Set and 29 in his Master Set. With so many cards of modern players being produced, there just simply isn't going to be enough demand for any specific card, no matter how few were produced, to support a very high price. >>

Another classic case of someone making completely irresponsible projections. You know as much about the future trends in card collecting as I do-- and I have absolutely no idea what will happen 15-20 years down the road. It could be that registered sets of HOF rookie cards become the next big thing, and there's a huge run on Manning SP RC's in 2017. Or, they could totally fizzle out. Nobody has any idea. Trying to predict future hobby trends is like trying to determine if it's going to rain four weeks from now when you go on your family camping trip.

• Options
    So are you sayng Peytons 2008 Topps base card is bringing down the value of his Rookie Auto? Sorry but that is not how it works. a 1998 and 2008 Contenders Auto of Peyton Mannng are not and never will be on the same level. This does apply to some examples like Barry Sanders autos, there were once few, but now they are more available and more are released, so the cost of the new one has declined some, but the best ones and significant ones continue to rise in value and popularity.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Boo- you mean you weren't scouring card shows with a 15x loupe on 15 cent 1975 Topps commons in 1990? Come on man, the writing was on the wall!
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    Do I really need to point out that this is only my opinion? I left my crystal ball at home so I'm just winging it.

Selling many things, cards included, and following trends; I would speculate that demand coupled with, more importantly, increased wealth of particular age based segments of the collecting community have driven much of the gains in the vintage market. Think about it, of the people who actually watched Mickey Mantle, Aaron, Mays, ect.; their incomes by and large have increased to the point where their disposable income is substantial and so they can and are paying more for the cards of the superstars they want. I believe this is the one and only reason for the recent serge in vintage.

I see a cooling period for all but ultra high grade and extremely low pop high grade commons from the 50's as the collectors age and their "collector dollars" disappear due to death/disability. To compliment this idea I would also assume that the cards these dead/disabled collectors once collected will be sold off for a fraction of value by their heirs (this happens all the time outside the world of cards).

I would consequently expect demand to increase for cards of 70's stars but because of the mass production of 80's cards I doubt all but the highest graded example will ever command decent premiums. I feel this is the logical extension of my core idea of increased disposable income from the “next” age based demographic as today’s 30-40 year olds acquire wealth and increase their disposable incomes over the next 20 years.

There will always be an investment or speculative market and so high grade vintage will always be in fashion but I would guess anything but the highest graded examples will cool off from today’s prices over the next 20 years.

Mike

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Think about it, of the people who actually watched Mickey Mantle, Aaron, Mays, ect.; their incomes by and large have increased to the point where their disposable income is substantial and so they can and are paying more for the cards of the superstars they want. I believe this is the one and only reason for the recent serge in vintage.

I see a cooling period for all but ultra high grade and extremely low pop high grade commons from the 50's as the collectors age and their "collector dollars" disappear due to death/disability. To compliment this idea I would also assume that the cards these dead/disabled collectors once collected will be sold off for a fraction of value by their heirs (this happens all the time outside the world of cards).

Mike >>

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. If what you laid out is true, then how do you account for the recent jump in pre-war cards? No one buying these cards now was alive when Cy Young or Joe Jackson was playing ball.

IMHO, it all comes down to supply & demand. The demand for cards of "legends" will always be there, but unfortunately for those who stocked up on 1980 to date items, the supply will always be over whelming.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I don't know.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. If what you laid out is true, then how do you account for the recent jump in pre-war cards? No one buying these cards now was alive when Cy Young or Joe Jackson was playing ball.

IMHO, it all comes down to supply & demand. The demand for cards of "legends" will always be there, but unfortunately for those who stocked up on 1980 to date items, the supply will always be over whelming. >>

Perhaps it can be attributed to the fact that the demand for baseball cards of 50's players has trickled down to prewar. I know my generation has almost NO interest in baseball cards, and I doubt prewar or 50's will hold as much value. Maybe today's players, a little, but I'm not sure.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    GatorGator Posts: 210
    PSA 9's or 10's of 1986 Fleer Jordan, 1996 SI Tiger, 1998 GSV Tiger, 2001 SP Authentic Tiger, etc. decrease in value?

• Options
    I don't get this talk about "artificially scarce". If a manufacturer makes 1500 of a card, then that is indeed scarce for a big name player. Of course you cannot predict who will become the legends, that their careers may fall short due to injury. But of the players that do become legends, there will always be a demand, and if the card is scarce, the supply vs. demand will drive the price.

Take Pujols rookie chrome auto for example. It has a "lifecycle" or a chart of it's market value. I am sure it has hit it's all time high, unless he beats hammerin' hanks HR record, or continues to pile up big numbers, etc... That said, after it bottom's out, it will likely to continue to rise in value, being a very desirable card. I am just using this card, as it is probably the most predictable, but there will be many great players whom will become legends, who have RARE rookies, after 1994. (other similar examples would be 94 sp die cut arod, 95 vladimir refractor, etc...) Nobody knows who today, you can only speculate, but i guarantee you those cards will be on top of most collectors lists. Perhaps not on a majority of this board, as many here on this board will only collect vintage, but those of you that put yourself in that category, may be a majority on this board, but definetely a minority in the global audience.

I see set collectors being a dying breed, and rookie collectors becoming alive once again, now that the manufacturers have made the decision to create limited print rookies. The 80s to 90s pretty much killed the desire to collect rookies, but moving forwards, rookies will become alive again. Any study will show that collecting rare rookies (esp autos) is what most entices "the modern collector/investor".

And as far as the statement in regards "whos to say which rookie is the most collectible", you just have to know your cards. First year bowman chrome rare autos will almost always be a good choice, and where those don't exist, you just have to do your homework. Just like who is to say which is worth more, a 1984 fleer clemens or 1985 topps roger clemens....you have to do your homework.
  • Options
    Any study will also show that kids don't collect like they used to, so when they grow up and make money they won't care about buying the RCs (or any other cards) they wanted as a kid. The only (and I repeat ONLY) reason that the big cards of the late 70s and early 80s have held any kind of value is because the 25-40 age group wants them. When today's kids become adults, they won't go back and hunt for all the Pujols and Manning cards they wanted as a kid because they didn't want them as a kid. people who collect modern cards are adults with money who speculate (generally speaking). When they become tired of this era of cards, all but the big RCs will become almost completely worthless, and the big RCs will be worth around 20-40% of what they are now.

How many numbered 1/1 cards does Albert Pujols have? 200? 500? You think in 30 years that collectors will want to or even care to distinguish between the UD Black, Topps Chrome Green refractor, or Donruss Elite Platinum Pujols 1/1 card, or will they just lump everything in the same category like we now do with most of the mid-late 90s inserts from Fleer Ultra, Bowman's Best, Fleer Focus, etc........

No one knows for sure what the future will hold, but using history and human nature as indicators, you can guess with a reasonable amount of certainty what's going to happen with the last decade of cards 20-30 years from now, and it's not pretty.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    You guys think the SP Authentic Manning #/2000 RC and Brady #/1250 RC will increase or stay the same?
  • Options
    short run they could go up, but after they retire someone will take their place atop collectors minds.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Highly-graded commons may drop in price, but they will still be in demand and level off into a price range that is still expensive. Set collecting is probably not going to slow down, it is very popular.

Saying that all modern cards in all conditions will decrease in value is way off. Autographed cards of stars in high grades will go for big money all the time as well as rare inserts. For instance, I can't see that people will not want to buy a highly-graded SP die-cut ARod rookie or other rare insert rookie cards of stars. It is just not true that modern cards are not scarce enough. Some are, some aren't.

Yes, modern cards that aren't scarce will probably decrease in value because people nowadays save everything. I've heard a ton of stories of a kid's mother throwing away his card collection in the garbage because she couldn't take looking at them anymore. And into the garbage went '52 Topps cards, etc... Poeple save things these days so they're not going to be rare.

1951-1975 superstars in all grades is a very bold statement (to agree with a previous post) because it is such a wide range of years. It may be true, it may not, who knows.

Joe Knows Cards
  • Options

<< <i>

How many numbered 1/1 cards does Albert Pujols have? 200? 500? You think in 30 years that collectors will want to or even care to distinguish between the UD Black, Topps Chrome Green refractor, or Donruss Elite Platinum Pujols 1/1 card, or will they just lump everything in the same category like we now do with most of the mid-late 90s inserts from Fleer Ultra, Bowman's Best, Fleer Focus, etc........

>>

Why mention 1/1 cards? I am talking about key rookie cards, e.g. Pujols 2001 Bowman Chrome, Ichiro 2001 Ultimate, Vlad 1995 Refractor, AROD 1994 SP Die cut. Key Rookies of future hofers will remain desirable 20 years from today....no one is talking about rare insersts...i am talking key rookies. The only reason the 80s and 90s lost all of their appeal is because they were mass produced and there is no pride in ownership...just like there will be any pride in ownership of a 1975 yount in psa 7 or lower....there are just too many of them. The fact that the manufacturers are making rare rookies makes them more enticing. I am tickled to be an owner of a 1995 SP auto bgs 9 of vlad, but there would be little or no satisfaction in owning an ozzie smith rookie in anything less than a "9" grade.

Whatever, everyone is entitled to their opinion....you can collect your commons in high grade from the 70s, and i will collect the rare rookies of future stars, and see who does better in 20 years.

• Options
    You're missing my main point- the fuel that drives the prices up are people who collect, and right now it's adults. There's no one to step in 20 years from now and keep the value of those cards so high. Who do you see buying cards of Peyton Manning, Albert Pujols and Chris Paul in 20 years? The same 55 year olds that are buying them now as 35 year olds? It's certainly not going to be 30 year olds because those kids could give a crap less about cards now.

Plus, I don't know if you realize this, but modern RCs are "rare" inserts. They're all numbered, auto'd or jerseys, or a combination of the three.
  • Options

<< <i>You're missing my main point- the fuel that drives the prices up are people who collect, and right now it's adults. There's no one to step in 20 years from now and keep the value of those cards so high. Who do you see buying cards of Peyton Manning, Albert Pujols and Chris Paul in 20 years? The same 55 year olds that are buying them now as 35 year olds? It's certainly not going to be 30 year olds because those kids could give a crap less about cards now.

>>

What makes you think the 15-30 year old collector/investors that are collecting now, won't step up their game when they are making more money. I would say the 15-30 year olds of today are far more educated in card collecting than most of the 40-60 year olds collecting today. They know better than to throw away their money on set collecting of commons, and to focus their attention on modern rare rookies and vintage high grade rookies of hofers.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Once all of the baby boomers (of which I am one) die off or get too old, there will be a major shift but not towards the next class of cards (semi-vintage). Those, for some reason, have not been popular the past 15 years, compared to vintage (incl. pre-war) and modern inserts. What's going to happen in 20 years is that the focus will solely be on individual cards, a show piece card in other words. It could be old, new or something in between. There will be little to no interest in sets or building sets.
  • Options
    15-20 y.o. collectors are virtually non-existent. There are a few, but not nearly enough to make a dent in the supply/demand equation. The 21-30 y.o. collectors who make up 95% of the modern market are speculators who enjoy busting $300 boxes and rarely getting their money's worth, and paying $2k for Pujols RCs. If they are still collecting, they will be doing the same thing with modern boxes 20 years from now and buying Terrell Davis Jr. RCs.

I understand that you feel modern RCs will hold their value because the players are great and you like the cards, but who is going to buy them? Can the market really sustain 20 more years of $1500 RCs with one coming out every year or two in each sport? This means people who collect this era are going to have $80k collections across the board because they had to buy all the Pujols, Wright, Manning, Peterson, Dwight Howard, LeBron, Crosby, and Ovechkin RCs.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>You're missing my main point- the fuel that drives the prices up are people who collect, and right now it's adults. There's no one to step in 20 years from now and keep the value of those cards so high. Who do you see buying cards of Peyton Manning, Albert Pujols and Chris Paul in 20 years? The same 55 year olds that are buying them now as 35 year olds? It's certainly not going to be 30 year olds because those kids could give a crap less about cards now.

Plus, I don't know if you realize this, but modern RCs are "rare" inserts. They're all numbered, auto'd or jerseys, or a combination of the three. >>

If you ever question kids collecting habits, visit Beckett.com. It's teeny bopper town over there.
  • Options
    Yeah, but that's like 100 people. Not really enough to keep the market going even if they all stayed in collecting as they grew up. When I was in middle school, we used to bring our binders of cards to homeroom and trade before school started, and maybe 5% of those people still collect today. How many of your friends collect Goot?
  • Options

<< <i> There will be little to no interest in sets or building sets. >>

AMEN

What will remain strong for 20+ years:

HOF Rookies (both vintage and current with exeption of 80s-90s mass produced)
    On-card autos of HOFers (especially classic sets, fan favorites, topps archives, heritage, A&G, UD ultimage, etc..)
    Exceptional Hobby GU/autos
    PREWAR

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say that the cards of those current players befriending 15 year old girls will lose value.

Curtis Granderson cards, on the other hand, will continue to gain value.
  • Options
    Cheers to CDsNuts for putting on his "thinking cap" and making an educated guess on the long-term future of card collecting by using sound logic and reasoning while not being influenced by how much money he currently has tied up in his collection. My job requires extensive traveling and I always find time to stop into local card shops when in various cities. I always ask the owners whose coming in and buying these days and almost all say the same thing: the kids simply aren't coming in anymore--just adults. Personally when I was a kid back in the late 60's and early '70's about 1 kid in 3 was a card collector. Now none of my kids nor any of their friends are even remotely interested in card collecting. They still love sports but they would rather spend their money on electronic computer games which are alot more entertaining and a bigger rush than staring at a piece of cardboard. The vast majority of today's adult card collectors were card collectors as a kid. I love to collect pre'-76 slabbed bb paks because they have great "sentimental" value to me and bring back fond memories of my younger days. If they go up or down in value so be it. The bottom line is that the strength of the hobby 20 to 30 years from now will greatly depend on the amount of kids collecting today--and from what I personally see and hear most kids today could care less about spending their money on cardboard--in fact when I show off my paks to my kids and their friends they show little if any interest. In many respects I feel like I'm part of a dying breed. I hope the hobby does stay strong 30 years from now but I have to agree with CDsNuts that bad times are ahead....
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options
    summer- I'm glad you understand what I'm trying to say, and I think you put it in clearer terms.

To look at something related, stamp collecting took a huge dive in the 70s and 80s when kids lost interest and now it's an almost non-existent hobby. In the 1900s-1960s, stamp collecting was mentioned along the same lines as card and coin collecting, and collectibles shows would feature dealers of all three.
  • Options
    and besides no one likes baseball anymore anyway, and the world is going to soccer....yawn...
    Our kids would rather go to dave and busters than the ballpark.

Actually there will be an atomic war, and the economy of the US will fail, and there won't be enough food on the table to feed our kids.

As long as baseball is alive, card collecting will be alive and well.

I just think too many people invested too much in set building, and they lost their shorts, and are calling doomsday. The trick is to keep rotating your collection, keeping a happy medium of what you enjoy collecting and what remains popular.
  • Options
    I know that by going on a sportscard collecting forum and voicing such a pessimistic prognostication is just short of inviting a lynch mob. My point is that times are changing faster than ever in this country. Electronic advances are dominating the interest of kids everywhere and the appeal of sportscards is not even close to keeping pace. So it is my own personal decision to be a casual collector for sentimental reasons and not to invest hard capital hoping for a substantial return in 20 to 30 years. Card collecting was originally designed to be fun and dream provoking--and I like to keep it at that level.......
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    CDsNuts, as much as I think your posts are intelligent, I believe you are dead wrong about stamp collecting. I have nothing at all to do with it but it is still called the world's most popular hobby, with perhaps 20 million collectors. That's likely much more than coin collecting and far, far more than baseball cards collecting.
  • Options

<< <i>I know that by going on a sportscard collecting forum and voicing such a pessimistic prognostication is just short of inviting a lynch mob. My point is that times are changing faster than ever in this country. Electronic advances are dominating the interest of kids everywhere and the appeal of sportscards is not even close to keeping pace. So it is my own personal decision to be a casual collector for sentimental reasons and not to invest hard capital hoping for a substantial return in 20 to 30 years. Card collecting was originally designed to be fun and dream provoking--and I like to keep it at that level....... >>

I had no interest in baseball cards as a kid....i liked pinball. To suggest there won't be any interest in card collecting in the next generation is just kind of silly. BTW, i dont ever recommend in investing in card collecting in the hopes of a 20 year return. That's what CD's and mutual funds are for. I agree, it would be stupid to collect cards for 20 years out in the hopes of paying college tuition for your kids.

I do believe it would make sense, though, to try and collect what you feel would be both fun, and not a waste of money. I would suggest against set collecting of 60s to 70s (but could be wrong), and focus on hof and future hof rookies. It is also more satisfying to find the rare rookies at a good price, that have potential, than to collect players that you never saw play, never heard of their name, and that there are tens of thousands of them.
  • Options

<< <i>

AMEN

On-card autos of HOFers (especially classic sets, fan favorites, topps archives, heritage, A&G, UD ultimage, etc..)
    PREWAR >>

Im a young vintage set collector.
    I wont be dropping a ton of coin on a modern rookie anytme soon. I just dont see the point, id rather spend 20-50 and just get a base chrome rookie if i want one of a certain player.
    And i dont know anyone else my age that collects.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

AMEN

PREWAR >>

Im a young vintage set collector.
    I wont be dropping a ton of coin on a modern rookie anytme soon. I just dont see the point, id rather spend 20-50 and just get a base chrome rookie if i want one of a certain player.

And i dont know anyone else my age that collects. >>

Try and find a more rare $20-$50 auto rookie card of a player you like....just a thought....
    I just bought a bgs 9.5 of Kochman....may or may not pan out...but its an auto rookie in high grade for less than a hundred...an ungraded copy just sold for $30.

Enjoy the hobby, and dont worry about blowing your money, and you will be happy!
    As far as not knowing anyone, try beckett.com....lots of young collectors there.

$70 (35 ungraded)

• Options
    nowhere in my reply did I state that there will be "no" interest in sportscard collecting in 20 or 30 years from now. I'm simply stating that card collecting with today's generation of kids is not as popular across the board as with past generations and that this will translate into a "decrease" in demand for sportscards when this current generation of kids comes to fruition.
  • Options
    GatorGator Posts: 210
    CDsNuts, I understand completely what your saying.

And that could very well be the case, but all cards would suffer and IMO vintage would suffer just as much if not more.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    I am in the same boat as Bigfische, I'm a young (20 y/o) vintage set collector. I also do not know anyone my age who collects at all seriously. I'm not sure who will be buying 50s and 60s cards in 30 years- I guess if Bigfische and I decide not to bid on the same auctions, maybe we will get everything for the opening bid!!

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>nowhere in my reply did I state that there will be "no" interest in sportscard collecting in 20 or 30 years from now. I'm simply stating that card collecting with today's generation of kids is not as popular across the board as with past generations and that this will cause a "decrease" in demand for sportscards when this current generation of kids comes to fruition in the future. A "decrease" in demand is far different than "no" demand. >>

I dont know your age, but i am near 50, and will probably continue to collect for the next 20 years, and i suspect most people that are 40+ that currently collect will continue to collect until they are ready to retire, and maybe even then so. I also believe that there are tons of younger collectors (ever check ebay out)?, that will keep the business alive.
  • Options
    Steve- you're right. On a world-wide scale stamp collecting is popular. I guess I'm speaking about what I've seen just in the states over the years. My grandfather used to have his choice in which stamp shop he'd buy from or which stamp show he wanted to go to on the weekend. I can't tell you the last time I've driven or walked past a stamp shop in the MD area or seen a stamp show advertised. The last time I can remember a big deal made about a stamp coming out because of collectibility was when they released the old Elvis vs. young Elvis stamps in the 90s. Stamp collecting just seems like it's no longer a relavent hobby in this country, but maybe I'm wrong.
  • Options
    hofautos--I hope you are absolutely correct as I love the hobby of card collecting. I'm simply sharing an unpopular view based on what shop owners are telling me and I think the opinions of people who sale cards for a living definitely have merit....
  • Options

<< <i>I am in the same boat as Bigfische, I'm a young (20 y/o) vintage set collector. I also do not know anyone my age who collects at all seriously. I'm not sure who will be buying 50s and 60s cards in 30 years- I guess if Bigfische and I decide not to bid on the same auctions, maybe we will get everything for the opening bid!!

John >>

To be honest, i really feel that a much larger percentage of collectors of the younger generation are more into Autos, GU, and rookies. Check out topps and beckett message boards. Also check the trade boards. There is a lot of interest in card collecting, just not so many newbie set collectors. I believe it is kind of a dying breed. JMO. I think it is much more enticing and fulfilling to find more rare "cool" cards and rare rookies of the big names and the big prospects than set collecting of commons, especially if you enjoy the sport of baseball, rather than just card collecting.

here is a sample of what I like...i like it all, including vintage, autos, gu, rare rookies, etc....i find it fulfilling.

Note - there is a selection on vintage as well...
    my collection