Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Digital photography of coins question - Nikon users

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi folks-

It's time for me to graduate from my Nikon Coolpix 950 to a new body and lens. I have pretty much determined that I will go with a Nikon 105 mm micro lens over a Sigma 105 mm macro (due to Nikon's superior optics and the build-in motor - despite the absurdly higher price!). Though I am happy to listen to any arguments either way.

My primary question is regarding the body. Should I go with a 10 megapixel body (D40x, D60, or D80) or a 6 megapixel (D40)? I plan on shooting images for a future book which is the main reason for possibly needing the higher resolution.

Any suggestions or comments from you Nikon fans?

Lane
Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Nikon D80 and a 105mm Micro-Nikkor lens that I use. The lens cost me $180, which I assume is even less than a Sigma 105 Macro. The catch? It's a circa 1979 manual focus lens. The thing is, you don't need and often don't even want auto-focus for macro. You'll find yourself tweaking the focus while comparing shorts on your monitor with the camera tethered to the computer. You also lose auto-exposure, but the facts that you get instant exposure feedback on your monitor and that shooting coins relying only on the camera's meter is suboptimal sort of obviate that feature. Also, the 105/4 Micro-Nikkor is an insanely sharp lens, perhaps better than today's. The built-in motor on today's lens represents several additional points of failure that are not on the manual focus lens. Do you think an AF lens bought today will still be working well in 2037 when it's the same age as my MF lens? Finally, there's just something special about a metal and glass Nikkor with silky smooth operation and markings nicely engraved and filled with paint.

I am not alone with this opinion, by the way. There are no fewer than two other people on this list that take a lot of coin pictures that have and love this lens, one of whom (JapanJohn) I think I helped convince to buy it.

As for megapixels, go with 10MP, simply because it's a next generation improvement on Nikon's 6 MP detector, not just a "more megapixels" detector, and it gives you more postprocessing flexibility. Here's my latest shot, which I've also posted elsewhere.

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    A few things:

A brand name lens, although it costs 3x more than an third party lens, is not 3x better. Name brand lenses often outdo the third party lenses in terms of autofocus performance. Optically, they are so similar that most folks would fail a pixel peeping test. Digital camera sensors are still at low enough of a resolution that the difference is subtle. Shooting slides makes the resolution differences more obvious. Autofocus performance is not a terribly important thing when you are using a stand and manual focus.

If you are starting from scratch, consider Canon. Not just because I own Canon equipment, but because Canon's sensors are a few generations ahead of the rest. That is because Canon does their own manufacturing...and also makes the the equipment that makes the sensors. Translation: Canon's cameras have better signal to noise performace at high ISO settings. This is not a terribly important thing when you are using a stand and can use long shutter speeds and a reasonable ISO setting. I do not want to start down the Canon/Nikon argument path. Nikons gear is perfectly competent. You only notice the difference of "signal/noise" in the edge cases. Shooting coins is not one of them.

A 6MP camera will easily take publishable photos. The benefit of a 10MP camera is that you can crop the image. Having a huge number of pixels is not terribly important when you are using a stand and frame the coin properly. However, if you are taking pictures of tiny little gold pieces, you may well want to crop, so this might be more important to you. One thing about larger numbers of pixels...you get worse signal to noise performance.
    Based on a quick read of DPReview, a website you should visit if you have not already...if I were to buy a Nikon body now...it would be a D40x DPReview

If this camera is only for coin photos, you can cut lots of corners and save lots of money by avoiding features you will never use. If this camera will serve multiple purposes, consider those purposes carefully.

Unfortunately, these new-fangled lenses and computery cameras aren't bullet proof. I've lost three lenses and two camera bodies to stupid malfunctions that would not affect a manual system. But then, i've taken my gear into hot sandy Utah Deserts for weeks at a time.

I type fast. image

What do I use? A Canon 5D, sometimes a "3" for film. Which lens? The appropriate one...I collect those too, apparently.
  • Options
    A D80 would be my choice. But, if you are planning on changing lenses all the time, I would go w/ the D60.
    The D60 has a built in DUST Reduction System. And it's also a 10 megapixel camera.
  • Options
    I have the D40X and it takes great pics. They will look even nicer when I figure out the lighting.
    Gary
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Get the one with more pixels if you can afford it (particularly if you like to take detail shots). More pixels the better, all things being equal (and they pretty much are on the Nikons you mention).

Provided the D40x supports custom white balance, get it, if not, get the next model up that does and also has 10 megapixels. I don't think you will regret it -- provided you have the drive to learn how to use it.

D300 w/200mm Micro, a 100% crop:

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Lane,

You know what works for you. I use a D-40 and love it. For what I do 6.1 is more then enough, but deep down you probably want a 10. Go ahead and admit it! Check the images on my 100% complete mercury dime set. Some images are from my Sony P&S and some from my D-40. My vote is if you can afford a 10 go for it even if you don't need it. If budget is a concern, than go with the more than ample 6.1.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    The D40x is very good. I recently upgraded from an 885 to a D40 that came with both the 18 - 55 mm and the 85 (or maybe 55) to 200 mm lens. That package (camera body + two Nikor lenses) cost $600 - over the internet from Ritz. I'm very happy with the set-up. I have not yet bought a micro/macro lens. I may some day - but for now I'm shooting with aperture priority and manual focus, using the 18 - 55 mm lens exclusively. I'm pleased with the results. edited to add: These images are reduced in size.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using a D70 with a Sigma 105mm macro. The camera and lens were Mark Goodman's old equipment. They do a good job image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>I'm using a D70 with a Sigma 105mm macro. The camera and lens were Mark Goodman's old equipment. They do a good job image >>

Yeah...but you also have talent! image

The Sigmas are good lenses and actually would be my preference except that the new Nikon bodies seem to no longer have the drive for the lenses in them. Instead they are relying on using motorized lenses. Since the Sigma is not motorized, it can only be used in manual on the newer Nikon bodies. The D80, however, still has a drive and can auto focus the Sigma lens.

The D80 with a Sigma 105 was another option I was considering...geez!

Lane

P.S. I hope MIT is treating you well, Jeremy!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    I use the D70s with the 105mm VR micro lense. The only thing I will second is the use of manual focus, I almost always change the lense to manual. I use this lense for nothing else but photographing coins. It sits permanently on a copy stand. If this is your use, skip the $800 VR series and get the older manual focus for $200. The good thing about getting the older lense is if you decide to ever sell it, you will get every bit of what you paid and probably more.

The used 105mm VR Micros can be had on ebay for about $550.

Also get the D80!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and great info (especially via PMs).

I decided to go with the D60 since it is the upgraded D40 with a new VR lens and in my opinion worth the additional $200 over the D40. The D80 was just too much for me, but it was very tempting. I chose to put the extra money I "saved" by going with the D80 into the Nikon 105 micro over the Sigma 105 macro.

Now, let's see if I can actually shoot some decent images.

Lane

P.S. I did consider a Canon as well, but my heart has always been with Nikon ever since my first. Plus, my wife likes Nikons which makes purchasing one less, um, problematic! image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a D200 and it will meter with the old AI and AI-S lense which is great.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file