Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Submission Question

How do you decide what cards from say 1977-1995 to have graded?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>How do you decide what cards from say 1977-1995 to have graded? >>

I would say from 1977 to about 1989 the condition and for 1990 to 1995 I would say to just send in start players and rookies???

Condition in older cards are always more rewarding, and the newer cards not so much value exept for maybe a few players.

Just my $0.50 image

Giovanni
  • Options
    I would not send in anything post-1975 for grading. Why?

Because there are so many high-grade post 1975 raw cards out there that several years from now, nothing, not even PSA 10's, will be truly scarce. Many post-1975 superstars are already in double digits in PSA 10 and triple digits in PSA 9. Commons are still some what scarce in high-grade, but that is only because nobody bothers to send them in for grading.

Already PSA 8 modern cards are virtually unsaleable because they are so plentiful, and as more and more cards get graded, PSA 9's and even PSA 10's will suffer the same fate.

You might get lucky in the short run if you are really, really good at spotting PSA 10's and manage to flip them before population numbers start to really rise, but that's a real gamble. Just scan this forum over the past few months to see how many people have submitted cards that they though were 9's and 10's only to see them come back as 8's.

It really comes down to the laws of supply and demand....supply of modern cards, graded or raw, is so high that there simply is no way that demand will keep up with it, even for mint condition cards.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Low pop PSA 9 1975 minis go for big bucks, and have actually risen sharply in value over the last few years. For $5 a card, it's hard to go wrong with any 70s issues, as long as the cards are pack fresh and truly mint to gem mint condition.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Grote,

Agree on the 1975's, but nothing after 1975 is truly scarce even in PSA 10. Population numbers are only going to go up, which means cards that are perceived to be condition scarce right now (and go for big bucks) won't be down the road.
  • Options
    Grote,

Agree on the 1975's, but nothing after 1975 is truly scarce even in PSA 10. Population numbers are only going to go up, which means cards that are perceived to be condition scarce right now (and go for big bucks) won't be down the road.

Well, I never said it would be a retirement plan-worthy investment, but at $5 a card, it's certainly worth submitting mint cards for grading, IMO. After all, this is a hobby, otherwise why collect cards at all? Your money is better spent in a CD. Also, there are many low pop common cards and star cards from 1976-1980 that will retain their value for the forseeable future, or at least enough so to justify spending $5 to put a Mint 9 or Gem Mint 10 card in a holder. Have you even seen what Mint 9 or Gem Mint 10 star cards (Ryan, Rose, Murtay RC, Smith RC, Henderson RC, etc.) from this era go for?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Grote,

Agree on the 1975's, but nothing after 1975 is truly scarce even in PSA 10. Population numbers are only going to go up, which means cards that are perceived to be condition scarce right now (and go for big bucks) won't be down the road. >>

Doug The Head: "I want to see you two girls up in my office. I just had Cousin Avi on the phone. You know you got to go out and see him."
    Alex (Nikki Collins): "Yeah Dad, you told us."
    Doug The Head: "He's a big mucker in New York."
    Susi (Teena Collins): "Yeah Dad, you told us."
    Doug The Head: "I want to see you two girls up in my office."
    Alex and Susi: "Yeah Dad, you told us."

My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>Have you even seen what Mint 9 or Gem Mint 10 star cards (Ryan, Rose, Murtay RC, Smith RC, Henderson RC, etc.) from this era go for? >>

Yes I have, and anybody who bought one of those cards at those prices is going to be regretting it ten years from now. Look at how high the population numbers are already:

1978 Murray RC - 364 PSA 9's and 10 PSA 10's
    1979 Ozzie Smith RC - 196 PSA 9's and 4 PSA 10's
    1979 Nolan Ryan - 286 PSA 9's and 4 PSA 10's
    1979 Pete Rose - 290 PSA 9's and 28 PSA 10's
    1980 Henderson RC - 1038 PSA 9's and 10 PSA 10's

The PSA 10's might hold their value for a few more years, but you can bet that they won't be selling for 5-10x PSA 9's too much longer like they do now. My guess is that in five years, PSA 9's of these cards will be selling for 2x PSA 8's at best (i.e. around $100), and PSA 10's for no more than 2-3x PSA 9's (i.e. around $ 200-300), which would be about 20%-30% of what SMR has them at right now.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Have you even seen what Mint 9 or Gem Mint 10 star cards (Ryan, Rose, Murtay RC, Smith RC, Henderson RC, etc.) from this era go for? >>

Yes I have, and anybody who bought one of those cards at those prices is going to be regretting it ten years from now. Look at how high the population numbers are already:

1978 Murray RC - 364 PSA 9's and 10 PSA 10's
    1979 Ozzie Smith RC - 196 PSA 9's and 4 PSA 10's
    1979 Nolan Ryan - 286 PSA 9's and 4 PSA 10's
    1979 Pete Rose - 290 PSA 9's and 28 PSA 10's
    1980 Henderson RC - 1038 PSA 9's and 10 PSA 10's

The PSA 10's might hold their value for a few more years, but you can bet that they won't be selling for 5-10x PSA 9's too much longer like they do now. My guess is that in five years, PSA 9's of these cards will be selling for 2x PSA 8's at best (i.e. around $100), and PSA 10's for no more than 2-3x PSA 9's (i.e. around $ 200-300), which would be about 20%-30% of what SMR has them at right now. >>

And this relates to the OP's question because.....
  • Options
    Matt,

With all due respect, my impression of these "opinions" of yours are just thinly veiled attempts to criticize the concept of card grading in general, particularly when it comes to cards graded mint or gem mint. You're beginning to sound almost like plifter these days. These projections, as boo has already indicated, have absolutely no basis in fact. Take the 75 mini set, for example, the pops on many of those cards have increased over the last several years, but the value of those same cards has also risen sharply over that time, so pop numbers are not always going to be the driving factor on value for a particular issue, especially when it comes to star cards. There are only 10 Henderson RC out of 9,000 graded...that percentage of 1 out of almost a thousand is not likely to change suddenly in the future, and as long as there are collectors with deep pockets out there, and a PSA set registry set, you can bet that PSA 10s will go for many more times the value of a PSA 9.