Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this just F circulated or "altered surfaces" - 25C 1876

I thought this was F or VF and sent it in to PCGS. They BB'd it, but I'm not sure why. Maybe NGC would slab it? Maybe I should just dump it on eBay as a problem coin? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it might have been kind of harshly cleaned, probably some time ago. I see scratches in the fields on both side of the coin, but it is hard to tell more from a picture. Nice big photo though.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    cleaned.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    What on earth possessed you to send this to PCGS?
    It cost you more than the coin's worth.
    BTW, the reverse die crack is common, and there's another die cracked reverse somewhat similar to this one, on another 1876 25¢variety.
  • Options

<< <i>cleaned. >>

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, it's been cleaned.

Edited to add: I doubt NGC would grade it either. ANACS might net grade it, but that's about it.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "In God" has actually been polished off?
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Holy cow! I didn't even see that "In God" was missing. You're right.

>Lathmach: BTW, the reverse die crack is common...

I didn't see the die crack on the reverse before - thank you! It's so darn obvious I feel really silly!

>Lathmach: What on earth possessed you to send this to PCGS? It cost you more than the coin's worth.

I sent this in kind of on a whim. I had a few seated liberty type coins as part of a 19th century type set. I sent in the 1/2 dime last quarter (quarterly grading special), and I decided that I'd just send in the rest of the coins. I know they aren't particularly valuable, but having the PCGS opinion on the coin helps me understand grading. I didn't send in the trade dollar - it was obviously cleaned. I thought this one would grade, but it didn't.

In essence, the cost of grading (or BBing) is just a sort of tution for me.

At the end of the day, I'll probably sell off the lower grade coins as I replace them with MS coins. I like circulated coins, but the dang slabs take up so much space in a safe-deposit box that I'm going to have to start getting shed of some of this stuff as I get it slabbed.

On slabbing I sort of fall like this:

I don't like the space the slabs take up.
    I don't like not being able to handle the coin.

I'm "okay" with the costs but I think the TPG services are a bit excessive with fees.

I do like the professional opinions (as education)
    I do like the protection the slab offers (environmental, handling and mechanical) (yes - I know I said I don't like not being able to handle the coin above image )
    I do like the TPG opinion should my family have to sell the coins in case something happend to me - hopefully they'll be less likely to be ripped off.

And as much as I like a nice type set on velvet or in a lexan set holder, I also like an array of PCGS slabs laid out. I like the look of the PCGS slab. I'm probably a bit compulsive this way. I have a stack of six orders sitting here waiting for me to box them up and send them to PCGS. Five of the orders (like 15 coins) are crossovers from NGC and ANACs. I don't like the look of "mixed slabs" for my MS type collection.

Anyway, thank you folks for the opinions regarding "cleaned." I think I'll hang onto this coin for a while as an example to myself of what a cleaned coin looks like.

I gotta tell ya all, I just love this hobby. I jumped into it a couple of years ago, and just love looking at coins and learning about them. I've been exploring IHC and some darkside coins recently. The folks on this forum have been just wonderful in helping me understand what I'm looking at.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file