Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think when you see your coins on a dealer's website?

dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
What I mean is...after you sold/traded the coins to the dealer...they're his coins now of course, but it's still a little weird to see them for sale. I sold/traded a number of coins at CSNS and now they're showing up on the dealer's website. It is interesting to see what they're asking vs. what they paid me for them. And I think I could have taken better pictures!! image
Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I find it to be somewhat neat to see coins I once owned now on dealers' websites and see what they are selling them for.

I get disappointed when I don't see the coins after a while because I know the dealer sold the coin(s) for a good markup (usually).

And I agree that some dealers could have taken better pictures.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What I mean is...after you sold/traded the coins to the dealer...they're his coins now of course, but it's still a little weird to see them for sale. I sold/traded a number of coins at CSNS and now they're showing up on the dealer's website. It is interesting to see what they're asking vs. what they paid me for them. And I think I could have taken better pictures!! image >>

Yup; you feel like you bin shot at and missed and chit at and hit.
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    I am stunned by the "vig" on coin investments.

Edit: Actually I have to admit I have never sold a coin that was good enough to be listed on a dealer's website, but a friend did.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options

<< <i>I find it to be somewhat neat to see coins I once owned now on dealers' websites and see what they are selling them for.

I get disappointed when I don't see the coins after a while because I know the dealer sold the coin(s) for a good markup (usually).

And I agree that some dealers could have taken better pictures. >>

I have an idea, we can make a coin into a cabbage patch doll.
    give it a certificate of adoption with all the moms, and dads that fathered the coin over the years.
    including a wallet sized photo for moms who brag allot.
    Humblepie

I have found power in the mysteries of thought.

It is always a question of knowing and seeing, and not that of believing.

Our virtues, and our failings are inseparable, like force, and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

• Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I find it to be somewhat neat to see coins I once owned now on dealers' websites and see what they are selling them for.

And I agree that some dealers could have taken better pictures. >>

I have an idea, we can make a coin into a cabbage patch doll.
    give it a certificate of adoption with all the moms, and dads that fathered the coin over the years.
    including a wallet sized photo for moms who brag allot. >>

That comes If you send your coins in for "PEDIGREE" service!
    PCGS - Free Pedigree Service

• Options
    I've had it happen...

Actually, one time I sold a coin on ebay, then the buyer sold it again on Heritage, then it should up again here on the BST. By the time it made it back to the BST, the asking price had risen by about 300% over what I had sold it for on ebay.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Brothers, I see some of my ex MPLs in the registry. I makes me feel good to know another brother is enjoying them (hopefully) as much as I did.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when I see my coins, my thoughts are "I sure hope he sells them fast."

That way, it helps to cement my buy/sell relationship with the dealer!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So who is the dealer and what were the coins?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is interesting to see what they're asking vs. what they paid me for them. >>

What's the average percent markup on your coins? image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It is interesting to see what they're asking vs. what they paid me for them. >>

What's the average percent markup on your coins? image >>

25% on some I've seen and know about, not sure they actually sold for that tho. They weren't my coins either.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So who is the dealer and what were the coins? >>

Oh, you can PM me and ask about the dealer...not sure I should share here. The coins were some XF-AU Indian Cents, 3 Leg Buff, 1916-D Dime, a few better date Morgans.

<< <i>What's the average percent markup on your coins? >>

Well, the markup looks to be about 12.5% - 25%. About what you'd expect I think.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a couple of things that sort of interested me on coins I sold in the recent past as they appeared for sale:

1 point upgrades after the buying dealer was adamant there was no upgrade shot (lol)....and then +2X the price I sold it for.

Mark ups of up to 33%...this of course by those same dealers who claim they never markup more than 15-25%. And this 33% was already on top of "all the money."

Wonderful descriptions that would make you cry. And this after the same dealer bad-mouthed your coin as a low end piece of slag that would be hard to sell.....yeah that one sold in less than a week for a quick 25% profit ($1000)....more than I made by holding it for 2 years (lol).

I could go on...but we've all heard and seen it.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now now....dealers need to make a profit too. They have to keep their lights on, pay for the trips, meals, etc. So, if you see a 200% markup, don't be offended. It's all averaged in image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sold a couple of rainbow toners to IslandCoins....it was indeed strange seeing them online, soon to be sold. imageimage

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen some of my tokens/medals/odd stuff in dealers cases at shows. I several cases I've seen them in cases of dealers that weren't the same people I sold them to. It's definitely a weird feeling.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wonderful descriptions that would make you cry. And this after the same dealer bad-mouthed your coin as a low end piece of slag that would be hard to sell.....yeah that one sold in less than a week for a quick 25% profit ($1000)....more than I made by holding it for 2 years (lol). >>

I guess I haven't been a dealer long enough compared with how long I've been a collector - - when someone offers me a really nice coin, I tell them "this is a really nice coin!"

I do sometimes see coins I've sold in other dealers' cases and on their websites, but I almost never check the prices! Don't know why, either!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file