Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Reduce, re-use and recycle... unless it's a USPS Priority Mail box

Comments

• Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    I could only imagine the backlash this will cause with environmental groups. I can understand that the USPS doesn't want people to take new Priority Mail packaging and use it inside out to ship via parcel post, but a box that was already used should be fair game, imo.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    We ALL know that folks who flip the boxes are NOT trying
    to "recycle." They are trying to save a little money, by using
    the P/E boxes to ship parcel-post.

I constantly see people being scolded for that infraction
    at MANY postal stations.

If I ever get so cheap/broke that I have to do that, I hope
    I simply expire.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    the post office gives the boxes out for free and they dont want people to take advantage of that fact by turning the boxes inside out and use it for regular shipping. they can solve the issue by charging $ for all the priority boxes and then it shouldnt matter.
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    just another reason to love the USPS!
  • Options
    So boxes that have already been shipped via priority mail should be thrown in the trash instead of being reused?
  • Options
    "...they can solve the issue by charging $ for all the priority boxes and then it shouldnt matter...."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

That will NOT solve the problem for me.

I want the "FREE" boxes, and I am willing to use them for their
    intended purpose. The rule-breaking, system-gamers may well
    end up ruining that benefit; they save a few cents and I end up
    paying the price.

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    From the poll on the news story:

Do you think the U.S. Postal Service should allow people to reuse its Priority Mail boxes?
    Choice Votes Percentage of 6721 Votes
    Yes 6389 95%
    No 332 5%
    Thanks for taking part in our survey!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    What a load of crap! IF already used, they got their money for it from the first mailer. I can see it as misusing if people are doing this with new boxes. Shame on the USPS for not allowing USED boxes in this way.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>"...they can solve the issue by charging $ for all the priority boxes and then it shouldnt matter...."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

That will NOT solve the problem for me.

I want the "FREE" boxes, and I am willing to use them for their
    intended purpose. The rule-breaking, system-gamers may well
    end up ruining that benefit; they save a few cents and I end up
    paying the price. >>

I agree that they shouldn't use new boxes like that. But if these were already used and just going to be thrown away then it shouldn't matter to the PO. The box has already been paid for the first time and is fair game IMHO.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    "So boxes that have already been shipped via priority mail should be thrown in the trash instead of being reused? "

///////////////////////////////////////////////

THOUSANDS - maybe millions - of EBAYers take the new boxes and flip them.
    There is NO way a postal clerk can tell definitively if a particular box is new/used.

Folks who run a biznez need to factor their packaging-costs into the price of
    the goods. I don't want the USPS to start charging me for boxes to deprive the
    cheapskates from a free ride.

There are really ONLY two types of folks: Rule Abiders and Rule Breakers. I may
    not like the rules, but I abide by them. The cheapsters should do the same.

• Options
    "Shame on the USPS for not allowing USED boxes in this way. "

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sadly, there is no way to tell for sure whether an inverted box
    is new/used.

This issue has been the topic of HUNDREDS of threads on the
    EBAY boards for many years.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    So boxes that have already been shipped via priority mail should be thrown in the trash instead of being reused?

The way I see it is you have 2 green options, use it again as a priority box and pay priority rates or
    throw it in the recycle bin.

I have reused them many times.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>"So boxes that have already been shipped via priority mail should be thrown in the trash instead of being reused? "

///////////////////////////////////////////////

THOUSANDS - maybe millions - of EBAYers take the new boxes and flip them.
    There is NO way a postal clerk can tell definitively if a particular box is new/used.

Folks who run a biznez need to factor their packaging-costs into the price of
    the goods. I don't want the USPS to start charging me for boxes to deprive the
    cheapskates from a free ride.

There are really ONLY two types of folks: Rule Abiders and Rule Breakers. I may
    not like the rules, but I abide by them. The cheapsters should do the same. >>

McDonalds sells a lot of milkshakes. Now try to answer my question instead of repeating yourself.

"I don't want the USPS to start charging me for boxes.......cheapskates....."

Pot, meet kettle.
  • Options
    "The way I see it is you have 2 green options, use it again as a priority box and pay priority rates or
    throw it in the recycle bin."

////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

The USPS gang is not telling folks not to reuse the boxes.
    They are saying ONLY use them for their originally intended
    purpose.

If recycling was the real issue, the rule-breakers would NOT
    be inverting the boxes. They are trying to SAVE money; NOT the planet.
  • Options
    "<< "So boxes that have already been shipped via priority mail should be thrown in the trash instead of being reused? "

"McDonalds sells a lot of milkshakes. Now try to answer my question instead of repeating yourself."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

No. They do not need to be thrown away.

They CAN be reused for their originally intended purpose: Priority/Express.
  • Options
    Why did Mr.Adler turn the box inside out? If he was truly for re-using why didn't he
    just re use it for its intended purpose? His claim that it was 'in the trash' is bogus too.
    It was in the paper recycle bin is more like it.

Why? cuz he was trying to get over.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Why did Mr.Adler turn the box inside out? If he was truly for re-using why didn't he
    just re use it for its intended purpose? His claim that it was 'in the trash' is bogus too.

Steve >>

He turned them inside out because he had no intention of reusing the previously used Priority Mail box to send something via Priority Mail. Also, I have been to 4 different post offices in my general vicinity and not one of them has a paper recycle bin. They have trash bins only.

Have I ever personally turned a USPS box inside out to ship something surrupticiously? No. Have I cut up old, used, USPS boxes and used it for packaging purposes inside of another package? You betcha.
  • Options
    Have I cut up old, used, USPS boxes and used it for packaging purposes inside of another package? You betcha.

I see no problem with that, and fwiw even if your post offices 'only' has comingled trash the company
    that services them will seperate it. Most trash now a days winds up at Waste Management facility.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Why did Mr.Adler turn the box inside out? If he was truly for re-using why didn't he

Steve >>

Not-for-profits have to watch what they spend, just like any other company, maybe more so. That is probably why he didn't want to reuse it for its intended purpose. And as for the it being in the paper recycle bin as apposed to the trash, what's the difference? It's still "in the trash".

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

<< <i>Have I cut up old, used, USPS boxes and used it for packaging purposes inside of another package? You betcha.

I see no problem with that >>

Unfortunately, the USPS does. It is also their policy that if any packages find their way open and they find any USPS Priority Mail or Express Mail packaging inside, they charge the difference to the recipient. They will do this even if the package finds it's way open by their own mishandling.
  • Options

He turned them inside out because he had no intention of reusing the previously used Priority Mail box to send something via Priority Mail.

That is where he messed up. Used or new those boxes are to be used for priorty mail.

And if they wind up 'trashed' in some land fill the PO has to draw the line somewhere.

It starts with reusing them for 1st class mail, before you know it people that used them that way
    will try and use new ones too.

I really don't see how anyone can feel differently.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Chris the difference is that if he wanted to recycle then throw it in a paper bin.

As for not for profits need to watch out so does Joe taxpayer.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    "Have I cut up old, used, USPS boxes and used it for packaging purposes inside of another package? You betcha. "

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ditto.

That kind of "recycling" is not depriving the USPS of money.

Technically, such reuse might be against their "rules," too.
    If so, I will remain a rule-breaker, until caught and punished.

"I didn't do it. You didn't see me do it. And, when you're not looking, I will do it again."

• Options
    "It is also their policy that if any packages find their way open and they find any USPS Priority Mail or Express Mail packaging inside, they charge the difference to the recipient. "

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I have heard that.

Usually - not always - I send everything priority. I suspect my "recycling" is safe in that mode.

Maybe not, though.
  • Options

<< <i>"Have I cut up old, used, USPS boxes and used it for packaging purposes inside of another package? You betcha. "

Ditto.

"I didn't do it. You didn't see me do it. And, when you're not looking, I will do it again." >>

With that in mind, what would stop someone from using new USPS boxes for the same purpose? Also, how does this type of recycling not deprive the USPS of money while you assert that recycling the same box to ship at 1st class does? Either way, whether it's cut up and used inside of packaging and shipped at 1st class, or turned inside out and shipped at 1st class...it's still being shipped 1st class and outside of it's originally intended use.
  • Options
    Then it is wrong too then.

I stand corrected in my previous reply.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    My point isn't about who is right and who is wrong...my point is that USPS is constantly increasing their rates, with another coming in a couple weeks...and they have nothing better to worry about than how their previously used packaging is used. If they're so concerned, they why not just charge for them? I would have no problem paying for them if that's how they want to do it. It's gotta be better than the pastel colored garbage they sell in their little post office convenience store sections...
  • Options
    "With that in mind, what would stop someone from using new USPS boxes for the same purpose? Also, how does this type of recycling not deprive the USPS of money while you assert that recycling the same box to ship at 1st class does? Either way, whether it's cut up and used inside of packaging and shipped at 1st class, or turned inside out and shipped at 1st class...it's still being shipped 1st class and outside of it's originally intended use. "

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

We are ALL criminals and should be sent to post-office prison.

If used as packing inside of a Priority/Express package, I doubt
    the USPS would complain. BUT, used inside of a First-Class package,
    it is likely the USPS would hit the caught-offender with the upgraded
    postage.

• Options
    i re-use them all the time. no problems.

p.s.
    Rules, especially the dumb ones were meant to be broken.

viva the revolution!
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the post office gives the boxes out for free and they dont want people to take advantage of that fact by turning the boxes inside out and use it for regular shipping. they can solve the issue by charging $ for all the priority boxes and then it shouldnt matter. >>

Bingo
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    You all are missing the point, they do charge for those boxes. The fee is the priority mail rate.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The USPS wants to be paid twice for the same box....that is if it is USED.
  • Options

<< <i>Adler said because of this incident he will no longer use the U.S. Postal Service to mail his packages. >>

Adler didn't even want to pay priority rates, all the other services are can be more expenses for small items.
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    '....all the other services are can be more expenses for small items. "

///////////////////////////////////

Likely ONLY because the USPS is a government-protected monopoly.

Private enterprise might be able to do all of it ALOT cheaper, if the
    govt would get out of the way.
  • Options
    "...they do charge for those boxes. The fee is the priority mail rate."

///////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

And, Mr. Adler wants to ride on MY dime.
  • Options
    I completely agree with WinPitcher. The boxes are made available for free by USPS and intended to be used only for priority shipping. it shouldn't matter if it's the first time the box is used or not, it has to be used for priority shipping. If they let people re-use them inside out for first class shipping, others would see that and everyone would assume it's ok to do. Where do you draw the line if the box has been used or not, meaning you probably can't determine if the box has been sent priority or not if the labeling has been torn off? It's a real simple rule, you can't turn them inside out and re-use them. The guy should have been scolded.
    Steven Bloedow
    Collect Auctions
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    I just hate "little F****ing rules.We're fast approching 1984.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    When you order the boxes from the USPS it clearly states these boxes remain the property of the USPS.

I saw a person get all their stuff dumped on the ground at a flea market by a postal inspector when he confiscated some boxes they were using for storage there. He just mentioned the fact that that was an illegal use of the boxes and could result in theft charges if the USPS felt the need to do so. The guy went all ballistic and the inspector confiscated the boxes.

I just ordered some boxes here is the agreement everyone agrees to when they order them.

I understand that Express Mail, Priority Mail, Global Express Guaranteed, Global Express Mail and Global Priority Mail packaging is the property of the United States Postal Service and is provided solely for sending Express Mail, Priority Mail, Global Express Guaranteed, Global Express Mail and Global Priority Mail. Misuse may be a violation of federal law.
  • Options

<< <i>"Have I cut up old, used, USPS boxes and used it for packaging purposes inside of another package? You betcha. "

Ditto.

"I didn't do it. You didn't see me do it. And, when you're not looking, I will do it again." >>

I had a seller do that to me and the package got tore during transit the USPS expected me to pay the difference between first class mail and priority. All it was was 2 piece2 of cardboard about 6X6 that were marked priority mail taped around a card.
  • Options
    "I had a seller do that to me and the package got tore during transit the USPS expected me to pay the difference between first class mail and priority. All it was was 2 piece2 of cardboard about 6X6 that were marked priority mail taped around a card. "

/////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

It's a pretty common tale on the EBAY boards.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I have a couple of thoughts on this....

First, if the Post Office wants to make sure no one is turning boxes inside out and reusing them, why not print PRIORITY MAIL on BOTH sides? They wouldn't even have to print in color in the inside, just black letters.

And the second thought is this, if the Post Office does charge us for boxes in the Priority Mail rate, then why not give a discount when the box is reused?
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Or how about they charge for boxes and REDUCE the shipping cost? Yup, I said it, a price REDUCTION!
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    The post office does not set the postage rates, Congress does.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a couple of thoughts on this....

First, if the Post Office wants to make sure no one is turning boxes inside out and reusing them, why not print PRIORITY MAIL on BOTH sides? They wouldn't even have to print in color in the inside, just black letters.

And the second thought is this, if the Post Office does charge us for boxes in the Priority Mail rate, then why not give a discount when the box is reused? >>

Many of the sizes are maked on both sides. The sizes are pretty standard and any postal clerk can usually detect them without being marked.
  • Options
    Mark not anymore

Postal Facts: How the US Postal Service
    Sets Postage Rates

When Congress created the USPS in 1971 it removed price-setting from Congress' jurisdiction, and divided it between two Presidentially-appointed bodies: the Postal Service Board of Governors and the Postal Rate Commission (PRC).

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    The fix on this is easy- stop giving the boxes away for free! Make all prority mail boxes simular to the no weight limit ones and once it is paid for who cares what someone wants to do with it? For the markup they make on the other shipping items they sell, someone using or reusing cardboard boxes is not a loss worth worrying about.
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
  • Options
    Re use them all you want, just pay the fee.

Steve
    Good for you.