Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question About Crossing from NGC to PCGS

What are the chances that a coin would cross from NGC to PCGS at the same grade? I'm just asking this without actually looking at any coins? Is there a diffrence in these grading standards or are the chances fairly good that a coin would cross at the same grade?

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had every coin I tried cross at the same grade. Not that I have tried that many (around a dozen), but I am at 100% cross rate.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I've submitted 4 NGC coins to PCGS. 1 crossed at the same grade (CBH), 1 did not cross, and 2 crossed at slightly lower levels of AU. (these 3 were Indian Cents). I'm sure there are other members here who have tried to cross far more NGC coins than I have, but I haven't had good luck.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All three possibilities have happen to me: lower, same, higher. Mike
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Depends on the series. I've cracked a bunch of NGC grade 70's out and none of them were then graded 70 by PCGS, many were not even close enough to submit. But I have upgraded many a PCGS 69 to a PCGS 70 which is why I do not like NGC for modern eagles. I hear they are the cat's meow on buffalo nickels. image

• Options
    Has anyone crossed an NGC Early Release to a PCGS First Strike? I'm not sure if they honor each other's designation.
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    JWMGT90JWMGT90 Posts: 303 ✭✭
    How are they with Pre-1933 Coinage?
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I have attempted 3 crackouts from NGC to PCGS. One crossed at the same grade and 2 upgraded. All were early commems.

In fact, the Gettysburg in my sig line used to be in a MS65 NGC slab. It is now in a PCGS MS66 slab.image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically its not a cross if it is cracked out first; crossovers are submitted IN THE HOLDER. Once its out of the holder its a raw coin.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the grade. If you're trying to cross a VF35, you'll be okay most of the time. If you're trying to cross a PF70, forget about it.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    lately,dont bother.
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    Good question, and there are a lot of variables. In general, their grading standards are similar. They do vary from series to series, however. I have been unsuccesful in crossing prooflike morgans from NGC to PCGS, although my experience is limited. I have crossed non-prooflike morgans from ngc and anacs at slightly lower, the same and slightly higher grades.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will not cross an NGC 70 coin into a PCGS slab which is probably why Griv cracked his prior to submission.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    RotatedRainbowsRotatedRainbows Posts: 2,085 ✭✭
    I have had a 100% cross rate for both NGC and ANACS to PCGS, coins ranging from AU Bust halves (up to AU 58) to MS 65 Morgans, MS 65 Liberty and Shield nickels. I would say a lot has to do with how carefully you chose your coins, most were crossed about a year to two years ago.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    in my specialty, coins are more recognized and worth more on the market in NGC slabs. I cross all of the PCGS coins to NGC, and usually get hit down by at least a point. I find that many times PCGS will market grade sliders more, whereas NGC will call them what they are. I had four PCGS coins in one submission all go from MS63-64 to AU58s. That is the nature of the beast however, when one plays this plastic grading game.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file