Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Value of 75 Topps Cello

I have the opportunity to buy a 75 Topps cello pack with Nolan Ryan on top for $100. Is this a good deal assuming the pack hasn't been resealed (which it doesn't look like it has).

Comments

• If you are buying it for your collection that's a reasonable price. If you are looking to flip it for a profit, it's borderline. Star cellos from 1975 are not uncommon and generally go on Ebay for $50-$150, with major stars like Ryan, Rose, etc. at the high end of that range and the major RC's (Brett & Yount) going for about $200-400.

Matt
  • artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    I dabbled in this set for a bit and found that the "money" cards are the Nolan Ryan #500 along with the Brett and Yount RCs. So if the Ryan looks like it can grade out at an 8 or better then you can make some money. I know that PSA 8's sold not so long ago (and might still) for 100+ with a 9 bring in a heck of a lot more. So if the card looks sharp go for it as you will also get other cards inside an who knows...maybe the Brett or Yount.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    If I had such a cello, I would be inclined to keep it sealed. Cellos, generally speaking, do not yield high condition cards given the nature of the wrap that tends to bend and otherwise be rough on corners. Top cards in cellos are even more at risk. If any cards make it nice out of a cello, it would most likely be those in the middle but those have their own risks of contending with the gum. Cello in my mind is a losing proposition for busting for grading. If you are going to bust, go with wax or rack.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent price if it's legit, as market value for a 75 cello with Ryan on top is $150 or more, depending on condition and centering. Be wary, though...as star packs are often fabricated by resealers to enhance the value of an otherwise ordinary pack, worth less than half that amount.

Edit: Centering of the top card is also a big factor...there was a Ryan 75 cello for sale last week on ebay but it was very poorly centered, and that will also affect the value. In almost any case, as mefer alluded to, the value of the sealed pack will far exceed the value of the card on top if graded, in this case, even if the Ryan card grades an 8 (which is not guaranteed since top cards on cello packs are normally dinged on the corners or edges), it would only be worth $75. Your best shot at a higher grade Ryan is to find one in the middle of the cello where the cards are less susceptible to dinged corners, or better yet, to buy a wax or rack pack.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd snap up a 60/40 or better Ryan at $100 all day long.

Agree that if it looks like an 8, I'd bust and grade (and the rest of the pack is profit). If not, I'd keep or flip it unbusted - $150 seems like a fair sell price if centered.
    Mike
    Bosox1976