Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does the Mint reduce bullion prices?

morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
PM's are down, who's gonna buy a 1 oz. gold eagle for $1120, with gold at $863?

1 oz. ASE's $26 bucks a piece, with silver at $16.55.

Why can't the Slaughter House stay current with bullion pricing?

They sure are quick to raise prices, when PM's rise.

Is it just a case of being the largest coin dealer in the world, and doing what they want?

Looks like I'll have to go the APMEX route for gold. 1 oz. 2008 gold eagles for $911.
World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Comments

• Options
    I'm with you on this, they shut the site down to raise prices but dont when it retreats.....................I wonder what the guys in the shop are doing now? "twiddling there thumbs"?..................image
    Peace and Prosper.............
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    They do adjust prices in both directions, just not as quickly as they should.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I'm with you on this, they shut the site down to raise prices but dont when it retreats.....................I wonder what the guys in the shop are doing now? "twiddling there thumbs"?>>.

They must be "twiddling there thumbs", they sure aren't shipping out AGE's at that price.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i><<I'm with you on this, they shut the site down to raise prices but dont when it retreats.....................I wonder what the guys in the shop are doing now? "twiddling there thumbs"?>>.

They must be "twiddling there thumbs", they sure aren't shiping out AGE's at that price. >>

Just 2008's with 2008 reverses now................image
  • Options
    They could shave 200 off the 4 coin "gold" bullion set and start selling some................I'm waiting.......
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PM's are down, who's gonna buy a 1 oz. gold eagle for $1120, with gold at $863?

Is it just a case of being the largest coin dealer in the world, and doing what they want?

Looks like I'll have to go the APMEX route for gold. 1 oz. 2008 gold eagles for $911. >>

Well lets see, I bet the mint made a whole bunch of those at once and if the price of the gold they used was $975 an ounce do you really expect to get them for $10 over spot when gold drops to $875? I doubt these are minted to order every day and I believe they have a lot of other costs in them besides just the metal itself. When crude oil goes up how can your local service station justify raising prices on gas they won't even have for another 6 weeks. If they adjusted their prices daily they would never sell any coins when gold was high cuz everone wood set roun waitin fer prices to fall. Sew dey try to keep an even keel an make a little more when prices drop anna little less when day go back up.
  • Options

<< <i>PM's are down, who's gonna buy a 1 oz. gold eagle for $1120, with gold at $863?

Looks like I'll have to go the APMEX route for gold. 1 oz. 2008 gold eagles for $911. >>

While the intrinsic metal value is certainly a factor, one is a bullion coin minted to demand the other is struck specifically for collectors with a limited mintage. As the sales figures demontrate, the two do not always behave the same. The collector version AGE sales figures are at 40% or less of what they were for the same period last year. Which may make for a low mintage year and will definitely make for a low First StrikeSM population and is the opposite of bullion sales compared to last years totals:

2008-W AGE Proofs (through 7 weeks of sales):

1 oz - 11,062
    1/2 oz - 5,775
    1/4 oz - 6,325
    1/10 oz - 8172
    (including 4,461 4-coin sets)

2007-W AGE Proofs (through 7 weeks of sales last year):

1 oz - 25,193
    1/2 oz - 14,227
    1/4 oz - 14,891
    1/10 oz - 20,912
    (including 11,631 4-coin sets)

===================================================================================

2008-W Burnished AGE (through 3 weeks of sales):

1 oz - 1,441
    1/2 oz - 983
    1/4 oz - 955
    1/10 oz - 2,692
    (including 711 4-coin sets)

2007-W Burnished AGE (through 3 weeks of sales last year):

1 oz - 6,030
    1/2 oz - 5,143
    1/4 oz - 5,850
    1/10 oz - 14,356
    (including 3,675 4-coin sets)

===================================================================================

2008 Bullion AGE (through March):

1 oz - 91,500
    1/2 oz - 10,000
    1/4 oz - 10,000
    1/10 oz - 45,000

2007 Bullion AGE (through March last year):

1 oz - 43,000
    1/2 oz - 12,000
    1/4 oz - 8,000
    1/10 oz - 55,000
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The collector version AGE sales figures are at 40% or less of what they were for the same period last year. Which may make for a low mintage year and will definitely make for a low First StrikeSM population and is the opposite of bullion sales compared to last years totals:

If the Burnished AGE "Ws" remain in their original sealed shipping boxes, how long does PCGS give you to submit them for First Strike designation? Till the end of the year?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    I am sure the Spouse coins will be at teh lowest yet witht the Monroe.
    At $ 600 & 620 they are listed now and the Dolley can be had for $100 less each !!
  • Options

<< <i>The collector version AGE sales figures are at 40% or less of what they were for the same period last year. Which may make for a low mintage year and will definitely make for a low First StrikeSM population and is the opposite of bullion sales compared to last years totals:

If the Burnished AGE "Ws" remain in their original sealed shipping boxes, how long does PCGS give you to submit them for First Strike designation? Till the end of the year? >>

If shipped before the cut-off (May 2nd) and left sealed it can be submitted at any time. However, from previous years the First StrikeSM population does not change significantly after 2-3 months since the great majority are graded within the cut-off. Current population is:

2008-W Proof (after 7 weeks):

1 oz AGE: 41 in PR70 / 120 PR69 or less
    1/2 oz AGE: 31 in PR70 / 69 in PR69 or less
    1/4 oz AGE: 20 in PR70 / 84 in PR69 or less
    1/10 oz AGE: 15 in PR70 / 89 in PR69 or less

2008-W Burnished AGE (after 3 weeks):

1 oz AGE: 24 in MS70 / 30 MS69 or less
    1/2 oz AGE: 10 in MS70 / 14 in MS69 or less
    1/4 oz AGE: 8 in MS70 / 14 in MS69 or less
    1/10 oz AGE: 20 in MS70 / 13 in MS69 or less

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FLBH, does that mean I could open my AGE sets, and still send them in before May 2nd for the FS designation? It strikes me as extremely stupid to buy these coins and never be able to look at them raw.........

The wide spread between spot gold and the price of the sets is a disincentive for further ordering of the AGE sets, at the moment.

On another note.......
    Based upon the revised (higher) prices for the failed Platinum Eagle Anniversary set, I surmise that the new Platinum Set prices will be equally-unreasonable, and therefore bear close watching.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>FLBH, does that mean I could open my AGE sets, and still send them in before May 2nd for the FS designation? It strikes me as extremely stupid to buy these coins and never be able to look at them raw.........

The wide spread between spot gold and the price of the sets is a disincentive for further ordering of the AGE sets, at the moment.

On another note.......
    Based upon the revised (higher) prices for the failed Platinum Eagle Anniversary set, I surmise that the new Platinum Set prices will be equally-unreasonable, and therefore bear close watching. >>

If postmarked to PCGS prior to May 2nd you can open the sets and still receive the First StrikeSM designtion. If you ship them to PCGS after May 2nd they must be in a sealed Mint box dated prior to the cut-off to be eligible.

IMO, if platinum stays at it's current trading level the Platinum Proofs will be priced ~$100 below the anniversary set pricing and the burnished option ~$200 below the Proofs. Which is similar to the premium over the intrinsic value of the sets from previous years. Will be one to keep an eye on, though since the APE minatges are already pretty low, I suspect the AGE's will have a larger discrepancy percentage wise comparing previous to current year sales.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the price of the 2008 W ASE's don't adjust down the mintage of these without the 07 Reverse could be lower than the previous two years. So one could get a double whammy with the ASE's this year.

Ren
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they shud have a "MAKE AN OFFER" option.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    How about a 10% or 15% off Sale Day? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202

<< <i>Well lets see, I bet the mint made a whole bunch of those at once and if the price of the gold they used was $975 an ounce do you really expect to get them for $10 over spot when gold drops to $875? >>

"Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Unreal high prices at the Mint keep consumers and most collectors away. Can we say . . . key date. image
  • Options
    Or maybe they'll keep selling them for 5 years until they're gone...?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file