Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Even newer sightings in the Presidential Series.

It looks like I might be the first to make the 2007-D A & B James Madison Weak Edge at MS65. Time for a cold one. image

Comments

• Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

I assume you got a grade report back from PCGS.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    I did indeed. image Thankfully, I almost wore out my refresh key.

Won't it be nice if the grade report was dynamic and you could link real time updates to your desktop?

I'm not sure what I would do with my time if that happened. image
  • Options
    image <----------- GRIV doing the happy dance !!
  • Options
    Damn! I knew it felt like someone was watching me. image
  • Options
    It is always nice to get a new variety.
    I have had so many rejected, it isn't even funny.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silverstate - GRIV's new and cool variety is the lowest pop of any variety Dollar in the non-FDI set. But, correct me if I am wrong - don't these coins also exist in FDI holders, and, if so, do you know the pop information on the FDI coins?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Silverstate - GRIV's new and cool variety is the lowest pop of any variety Dollar in the non-FDI set. But, correct me if I am wrong - don't these coins also exist in FDI holders, and, if so, do you know the pop information on the FDI coins?

Wondercoin >>

Madison D Weaks

FDI POPS

Pos A - 2/65 4/66 Total Pop 6
    Pos B - 3/65 8/66 Total Pop 11

NON-FDI Pops

Pos A - 2/63 1/64 3/65 Total Pop 6
    Pos B - 2/63 4/64 5/65 Total Pop 11

WOW !! The Pop totals are the same (17) coins in FDI and (17) in NON-FDI
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>Silverstate - GRIV's new and cool variety is the lowest pop of any variety Dollar in the non-FDI set. But, correct me if I am wrong - don't these coins also exist in FDI holders, and, if so, do you know the pop information on the FDI coins?
    Wondercoin >>

For a very short time. the FDI weak letter Washintons will be the lowest with hopefully ~15 total or both positions.
  • Options
    I stated right in my comment that I was referring to non-FDI issue coins. So, even when your Washington coins are completed, my comment on non-FDI coins will still be correct - no?

And, thank you Jim for the numbers on that.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Actually I think I am wrong, it looks like someone else just made some.

The market will adjust, if you can convert an FDI coin to a non FDI coin by cracking it, then the market will value the less common non-FDi the same as the more common FDI coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

Wondercoin >>

Madison D Weaks

FDI POPS

NON-FDI Pops

WOW !! The Pop totals are the same (17) coins in FDI and (17) in NON-FDI >>

Even with the existance of the FDI coins, we are still talking about a total of 9 position A coins at MS65 or above and 16 position B MS65 and above for a total population of 25. Consider the 9 MS63s and 64s as casualties. 25 known coins beats the Jefferson MEL bay at least 4 to 1.
  • Options
    New kids on the block......
    I just noticed the coins added to the registry sets.

2008-P James Monroe - Position A Partial Edge Lettering
    2008-P James Monroe - Position B Partial Edge Lettering
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    This may sound stupid but under what submission level do you submit these? Modern/Economy/Error ?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>This may sound stupid but under what submission level do you submit these? Modern/Economy/Error ? >>

Error submission level.

Funny how they are a variety now (weak, partials, MEL, Double edge lettering) and still charge $ 40 for Error submission + it takes two months to get them back!

If they were a "Variety" they would be modern + variety ($ 14+20) which is cheaper and FASTER
    AND
    you could speed it up with regular service for $ 16 extra

So $50 fee for 15 days vs. $40 fee and 2 months.

Just doesn't make too much sense.
  • Options

<< <i>The market will adjust, if you can convert an FDI coin to a non FDI coin by cracking it, then the market will value the less common non-FDi the same as the more common FDI coins. >>

I would have to disagree with this statement. No disrespect intended here.

There is not a case where it would be to anyones advantage to "downgrade" a coin from First Day Issue to NON-First Day Issue.

First Day Issue in even the regular business strikes is WAY stronger in FDI holders.

Common Examples:

FDI MEL Washington MS66 $ 1200-1400 range
    Mel Washington (NON-FDI) MS66 $ 200 - 300 range

FDI MEL Adams MS65 - $ 2000 - 3000
    MEL Adams (Non -FDI) MS65 $ 400 - 500

FDI Dbl Edge Lettering Adams MS65 $ 650 - 800
    Dbl Edge Lettering Adams (NON-FDI) $ 200-300

IMHO this doesn't make any sense to me.
    Plus the FDI coins work in twice as many sets by default.
    FDI coins are "power coins"

Am I incorrect in my assessment?
  • Options
    Silverstate, I totally agree that what you are saying is reality but I contend that everyone has lost their mind. Me included. I personally seem to be drifting into the "it's only a label" camp especially based on the incredible premium for FDIs which are far greater that other similar FS designations. I can pay for the plastic but I'm not sure I want to pay extra for the label. Especially when it comes to these error coins that are already in limited quantity.
  • Options

<< <i>Silverstate, I totally agree that what you are saying is reality but I contend that everyone has lost their mind. Me included. I personally seem to be drifting into the "it's only a label" camp especially based on the incredible premium for FDIs which are far greater that other similar FS designations. I can pay for the plastic but I'm not sure I want to pay extra for the label. Especially when it comes to these error coins that are already in limited quantity. >>

Griv,
    I agree to each his own. The price difference is big at times.
    Funny the Monroe MS68's out on eBay are not getting much attention, but that is because they are NOT FIRST DAY ISSUE !!
    Otherwise they would have been sold by now.
    Like FDI or dislike FDI, there is a lot of value placed on that label and in most cases a premium was paid to get it into that holder.
    I know many guys on this forum know what it costs to get coins graded but FDI cost the most.
    So, maybe they want more payback for the investment made......
  • Options
    Madison update!

The current FDI+non-FDI Madison D weaks are
    Position A pop 12 (possible 8)
    Position B pop 19 (possible 15)

So the Madison has some major potential still.

HOT DAMN!!!

Does anyone have verification that the FDI pops are?

The PCGS site doesn't reflect this.

Griv
  • Options
    Madison D Weaks

FDI POPS

NON-FDI Pops

Thats the pops as of a couple days ago.
  • Options
    Just noticed a Monroe - D Weak in MS66.
    Looks to be the latest find.

2008 D Monroe PCGS MS66 - Weak Edge Lettering
  • Options
    Jim- I slabbed a couple of interesting coins today....

A. 2008-P Partial Monroe Pos A MS65. What is are the pop figures on this one for Pos A and Pos B?

B. 2007-D Partial Washington Pos A MS65. Have there been any partials slabbed to this point in either P or D or Pos A or Pos B for Washington?

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Jim- I slabbed a couple of interesting coins today....

A. 2008-P Partial Monroe Pos A MS65. What is are the pop figures on this one for Pos A and Pos B?

B. 2007-D Partial Washington Pos A MS65. Have there been any partials slabbed to this point in either P or D or Pos A or Pos B for Washington?

Wondercoin >>

P Monroe Partials

Non FDI
    Pos A 1/65
    Pos B ??

FDI
    Pos A 7/66
    Pos B 4/65

What is the PCGS # of the Washington D Partial ??
    Of course, Mitch you knew that yours is the first one known, unless I have missed something.
    ...You're just messing with me. image

Nice "Hunting" on the two coins.

• Options
    Jim: I could not be 100% sure the coin was the very first partial Washington ever because the coin number would not work until today on the freshly graded coin. The coin # is 396504.

Thanks for the informaton on the Washington as well as the Monroe.

Wondercoin