Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Attributed by Bob Grellman

Seeing Bob Grellman referred to as a copper attribution expert and wondering about the man. I know nothing about the man, anybody have some details?
What the heck are all these notations?
Auction linkyCent

Brian

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that I've heard the name in a positive tone, from Tom Reynolds, going back about 20 years. Even having never met him, I would tend to give his opinions some credence.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Bob Grellman and Chris Victor McCrawly are 2 pre-eminant dealers, cataloguers, and researchers in early copper coins of the United States. The notations are as follows: C-1 = Cohen die variety 1. MDS= Middle die state. The grade is split, details being a VF35 on the obverse, and a F15 on the reverse. Hope this helps.
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions
  • Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    The notations are. C-1 that is the variety- Cohen 1
    Mds- Middle die state
    35/15- grade obverse 35 reverse 15 coin has some porosity
    ga 2/08 - graded in Ga on 2/08
    ED
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Grellman is one of the country's foremost experts in early copper, particularly Large Cents. He was a co-author, with Jules Reiver, on an attribution guide for middle and late date Large Cents. Although I do not collect early copper, I have enjoyed getting to know Bob, and talking early minting technology common to both early copper and silver with him. He is a principal in McCawley-Grellman, an auction house and dealer in early copper.

The C1 designation on the cited half cent refers to a Cohen 1 die marriage, from the "Little Sisters" reference on half cents by Cohen.

You can pretty much take any attribution by Bob Grellman to the bank.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Thank you Greg and ED.....
    Good information, I wanted to know about the notations. Good stuffimage

Brian
  • Options
    You are welcome, my pleasure to assist.
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Others have given you insight into who Mr. Grellman is. I can't add to it other than to say he's a very nice and approchable gentleman, is a fellow Floridian, and his grading is very well respected in the EAC community.

That said, are you guys sure that's not a net grade (35/15) rather than a split grade???

Just wondering...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Others have given you insight into who Mr. Grellman is. I can't add to it other than to say he's a very nice and approchable gentleman, is a fellow Floridian, and his grading is very well respected in the EAC community.

That said, are you guys sure that's not a net grade (35/15) rather than a split grade???

Just wondering...Mike >>

Mike, I suspect that you are right and that it is a details/net grade. The obverse appears to be as porous as the reverse.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Bob and Cindy Grellman do the early copper attributions for SEGS.
    If you want your coins properly attributed and graded send them to Bob.

Ray
  • Options

<< <i>The notations are. C-1 that is the variety- Cohen 1
    Mds- Middle die state
    ga 2/08 - graded in Ga on 2/08 >>

The grade given on the card by Bob is the EAC sharpness and the net grade for the coin - as others have already alluded to. If it were a split grade that would be expressly noted on his attribution card.

Bob and Chris run the cooper aspect of all EAC sales and the Goldberg auctions. Bob catalogs the coins - probably the foremost living expert on the late dates and as qualified as anyone on grading and attributing all the large cents. Bob offers a great attribution/grading service at $1 per coin plus postage/ins. - available to EAC members. Don't know if if this service is available to non-EAC members. Bob'is a very nice a personable guy.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The notations are. C-1 that is the variety- Cohen 1
    Mds- Middle die state
    ga 2/08 - graded in Ga on 2/08 >>

The grade given on the card by Bob is the EAC sharpness and the net grade for the coin - as others have already alluded to. If it were a split grade that would be expressly noted on his attribution card.

Bob and Chris run the cooper aspect of all EAC sales and the Goldberg auctions. Bob catalogs the coins - probably the foremost living expert on the late dates and as qualified as anyone on grading and attributing all the large cents. Bob offers a great attribution/grading service at $1 per coin plus postage/ins. - available to EAC members. Don't know if if this service is available to non-EAC members. Bob'is a very nice a personable guy. >>

Thank you for the clarification...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Mike and 1798 the grade is sharpness/net due to porosity and other defects such as the contact marks in the obverse field behind the head.
  • Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    Mike, You are right. It is net graded. I was typing faster than I was Thinking. He always notes why it is net graded, such as in this case porosity or nicks, scratches, rim dings and such. I have seen some split graded but it was noted as 1798CentCollector said.
    ED

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file