Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My first medal "ISRAEL LIBERATA"

My first medal purchase this medal was struck in my birth year 1961 for the foundation of the state of Israel in 1948.
The obverse is a woman holding her infant aloft below a palm tree as a man plants a sapling nearby. In Latin above
is ISRAEL LIBERATA (Israel freed) and in Hebrew at the bottom.

The reverse is a depiction of a bronze Roman sestertius struck in 71 AD after the fall of Jerusalem from the first century Jewish Revolt and
showing a triumphal Roman soldier near a palm tree watching over the weeping figure of Judea, IVDEA CAPTA around, SC in exergue, chain
and Hebrew legend around edge. The Roman soldier is representative of the Emperor Vespasian. Anyway, I thought it was pretty neat and
I fear I am now getting hooked on bronze medals.

Comments

• Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    How nice is that! GREAT COLOR! Is this one of the 100mm sized medals? Whew! I can't get over the color. Fantastic! Nice job on finding this. Thank you for sharing it with us.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382

<< <i>How nice is that! GREAT COLOR! Is this one of the 100mm sized medals? Whew! I can't get over the color. Fantastic! Nice job on finding this. Thank you for sharing it with us. >>

This is 61mm in size and thanks!!
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that my brother gave me that medal for my birthday, one year. I don't remember if it was the bronze or the silver. I wonder where the heck I put it.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Beautiful color and very timely for the anniversary of the founding of Isreal as a Country

Shep