Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Really OT, Need help with 40th Bday destination

I know, I know, really off topic but wondered if anyone else has went through this. My beautiful wife is turning 40 in November and she doesn't want to turn 40 in the boring state of South Dakota. She would but she puts up with my cards, watching any sporting event, missed a wedding this weekend for NFL draft, etc, etc. Thought about taking her back to the town she grew up in but thats Ellendale ND and that doesn't sound like much fun in November. I looked at New York but seemed crazy expensive, figured we would do that when kids are gone. Any ideas? Can't involve sporting events, too much booze, or exotic dancers. Okay, maybe a little, but for the most part should be about her. Background info - we were married in Jamaica, she has been to Mexico and we are going back in 2 years, been to Florida for Daytona Bike week, going to Chicago this year, been to New Orleans with a friend and she loved it. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
going to feel all day. "
~Frank Sinatra

Comments

• Options
    Just to bump up hoping for some good replies from the married with kids section of the board.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
    wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
    going to feel all day. "
    ~Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    Las Vegas
  • Options
    Take her to Aruba, I have been 4 times and it is the best place I have ever been to. They are American friendly, the beaches/water are incredible and you have everything a couple would want.
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Vegas.
  • Options

<< <i>Take her to Aruba, I have been 4 times and it is the best place I have ever been to. They are American friendly, the beaches/water are incredible and you have everything a couple would want. >>

Screw that, until they prosecute vandersloot.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    From one Raiders fan to another... VEGAS!!
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Vegas+Kids=BUZZKILL

I'd recomend the Mayan Riviera but you said your going to Mexico in 2 years so that's out.

How about the Dominican Rupublic? Punta Cana is nice, went there last fall. Prices are very reasonable for the all inclusive places. You could do a week with the kids, including airfare for <2K. Everyone loves the beach and rum, right?
  • Options
    Key West
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Don't go anywhere where there's gambling. Women are not stupid and they see right through us. She knows she'll spend 80% of the time trying to tear you away from the poker/blackjack/craps table.
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    What is crazy expensive? $200/night hotel?

If you want cheap…Las Vegas and Mexico are two good options.

The problem is that the reason cities with gambling are cheap is they want you in town and figure you’ll gamble while there.

You want a great family vacation in November? How old are your kids? And how many? Can ya swing $3500?

I travel for leisure often and could throw some good ideas at ya if I knew a little more about what you want.

Mike

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    turks and caicos, they have a beaches resort all inclusive, bit pricey but lots of stuff for the kids to do. very nice place, booze flows readily!
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grand Canyon, New Orleans or a cruise - plenty of family stuff and plenty of adult stuff available at each - and varying price points depending on how much you are to spend.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Take her to Montreal and Quebec City.

Both are relatively close to you in North Dakota and are very romantic cities. It's like being in Paris without having to fly across the Atlantic....
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Aruba. Very nice, relaxing and simple with great restaurants.
  • Options
    OverratedOverrated Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Palm Springs.
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Palm Springs. >>

He said NY was expensive.....

Airfare alone for the family to PS could be a small fortune.

Sun Country flys to many southern hot spots for a buck-fitty.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'll second Palm Springs/San Diego. Tons of stuff to do, large variety of accomodations, and less than a 90 minute drive from each other (and LA). I've found if the kids aren't happy no one is happy. Phoenix can be nice as well with lots to do- warm weather and Sedona and the grand canyon train are all day trips.
    Cruises can be dirt cheap as well, if you're into them.
    If you leave the country we've had great trips to Belize, Costa Rica, Negril Jamaica (which is a whole lot nicer than Montego and Ocho Rios, if that is where you were for your wedding), Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas in Mexico, and Bonaire. I wasn't that fond of the Dominican Republic nor Aruba, but those are options as well.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Two points:

A: New York doesn't have to be crazy expensive. I'm looking at going for the US/Argentina soccer game in June. Flight into Newark is right @ $200, 3.5 star hotel on Hotwire in Newark for $125 a night. 20-30 minutes on public transit and you're in the city. Tons of stuff to see, a lot of which is free.

2: My sister lives in Albuquerque. Santa Fe, Taos, Las Cruces all neat places.

Good luck.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.