Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Last call for Sierra Leone Company 1C Coins PCGS

I have two (02) of the 1791 one cent coins made at the SOHO Mint in England during the time when slavery was being abolished in England. The Sierra Leone Company thus was set up to operate an African colony for former slaves and these coins were made for use in the new colony with proofs being made for distribution to dignitaries. The 1C coins were minted some in bronze and some in copper and feature a lion on the obverse and two shaking hands, one white, one black, on the reverse. My pair of coins are both proof, one copper and one bronze (the bronze is nearly cameo) and both graded PCGS PF63, with the copper coin PF63BN, both formerly being NGC PF64. The coins are lovely and I would like to sell them as a pair and keep this historic lot intact. These coins have long been popular since they are reasonably priced coins of great beauty and history. Plus, they were made with incredible quality especially given the fact they were made in the 1700's.

The copper coin is a deep chocolate brown, with some bluish toning on the reverse. The bronze coin is a light tan/brown color and looks very close to gem quality to me.

PCGS has only graded four (04) coins in this grade in bronze with only two (02) coins graded higher. I was not able to access the population report for the copper proofs.

I don't really want to sell these coins but it is tax time. I'll accept $875.00 (below raw eBay prices) for the pair to make a quick sale. I can accept Paypal.

Comments

• Just a suggestion.............

A photo or 3 might get your offer more interest
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    yup, not many people buy without photos, especially for nearly $1,000

• jamesfsmjamesfsm Posts: 652 ✭✭
    I'm really sorry but I don't have photo equipment. If any buyer felt the coins were not as described, I would fix any problem to their satisfaction. I am trying to make a quick sale and I guess I thought that with a low price and PCGS certification and accepting Paypal that would be a pretty good incentive. For what it is worth, I have bought several coins on the BST, some with and some without photos, and the ones sans photos often were the better coins and the ones with photos sometimes in-hand did not resemble the photos at all. I understand that photos add some comfort but I feel pretty good in saying that I have sold coins on the BST over the years, not on any regular basis, but to some of the pickiest folks on the Boards and the satisfaction level has been very good. I am picky about what I myself buy and generally limit myself to PCGS coins or coins that will crossover.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all fairness, if this offer was for 2 similarly-priced early Mexican pieces, I would fork-out the cash sight-unseen. Especially since you offer no questions asked returns.

Cheers,

~Roman
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a sample of the type from coinarchives.com:

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a couple (NGC 63 and NGC 64) that are currently for sale at NEN:

64BN - $550
    imageimage

63BN - $495
    imageimage

• jamesfsmjamesfsm Posts: 652 ✭✭
    Coins sold. Thanks to all.