Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I finally completed my slabbed PSA/DNA 1989 Perez-Steele Celebration set with all of the signatures

Hi Guys, I finally completed my slabbed PSA/DNA 1989 Perez-Steele Celebration set with all of the signatures being graded. It has been a long time since I was able to feel the thrill and excitement of completing a challenging set. Ever since selling off my beloved 1956 Topps set, I have been a bit lost as a collector. This set always kept me involved and grounded in the hobby so I didn’t drift out entirely. I am not really a true autograph collector like some of the collectors are on these boards. However, I have always really loved the look of all of the different Perez-Steele collections and thought that they looked incredible when they were signed and slabbed. Grading the autographs on the postcards was an idea that Joe Orlando got me on when he started the PSA/DNA registry. I started this quest on 11/6/06 with a small lot of raw autographed postcards and I began to send them in for grading soon after. I just got in the last graded slabbed postcard on 4/25/08. The Roy Campanella was the last one and the hardest for me to find in the right condition. It is one of the best autographs of his that I have ever seen. I have a 9.80 GPA with 36 PSA/DNA 10s and 5 PSA/DNA 9s. I would like to upgrade the 5 PSA/DNA 9 to a 10s in the future. A perfect complete PSA/DNA 10 set is something that I have dreamed of creating from the start but never believed was possible for an average collector with modest means such as myself. Those players are Aaron, Bell, Campanella, Conlan and Gehringer. If anyone has any slabbed or PSA/DNA authenticated signed postcards of these players from this set, let me know. I also have extra PSA/DNA 9 of the following players : (1) Aaron, (1) Bell, (1) Gehringer and (2) Yastrzemski for sale if anyone is interested in starting a set or adding any of these to their autographed HOF sets. You can contact via PM or email me at nbdowney@msn.com - Thanks, Neil

A link to my set : http://www.psacard.com/set_registry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=82967&alltime=yes&rank=1&tied=0&requesttimeout=9999

Comments

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Neil! I love this set - I bought mine in 1989 when it was first issued, and spent a while working on getting signed cards. None of mine have been slabbed but I have about 25 signed cards. Great work, and enjoy it!

Scott
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neil and sons set

those are beauts, 9.8 is amazing
    good luck on those few upgrades, not that you REALLY need them

hank
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    Congrats Neil, im Glad you found a set to give you enjoyment! (WHATS NEXT?)
  • Options
    Neil, congratulations! Glad you could finish your set. Best of luck with your next journey.
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree! Congrats Neil.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Great job Neil!

Just incredible!

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    fantastic!!!!

great job!! what's next???
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a great job !!! Totally awesome.
    I love the P-S cards. I have most of the 1981 set .... have the Joe-D, Mantle, and W Ford autod...amongst a few others.
    One day I might try to do a signed yankees set.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    NeilDowneyNeilDowney Posts: 840 ✭✭
    Hi Guys, Thanks for the kind words. I don't have a clear choice for the next project. I thought about doing an autographed Perez-Steele Master Works set or chipping away at either the HOF set or Great Moments set. All of them look great in slabs. I don't really know at this point. I'll probaby do like most other collectors and dabble here and there until something grabs hold of me. Neil
  • Options
    SpahnfanSpahnfan Posts: 412 ✭✭
    Congratulations Neil. Looks like a great week to complete sets. I understand your exhiliration and celebrate with you. Great job on a great set.
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
    1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run